Controversial Limerick Discussion

I mean it's definitely a grey area. It's rather horrible but does it outright say the person he slept with is transgender? It sounds like someone morphed into a female, slept with him, then morphed back. 

No, it's an implication.  Something like... you know what, I'll look it up. 

Here's the link; the backer message is in the first post: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/73243-memorials-problem/

Yeah, that's.... that's bad. No idea how that got through. My only thought is that it's not explicitly trans-phobic. It's sad that someone paid $1k to write that.

I mean it's definitely a grey area. It's rather horrible but does it outright say the person he slept with is transgender? It sounds like someone morphed into a female, slept with him, then morphed back. 

No, it's an implication.  Something like... you know what, I'll look it up. 

Here's the link; the backer message is in the first post: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/73243-memorials-problem/

Yeah, that's.... that's bad. No idea how that got through. My only thought is that it's not explicitly trans-phobic. It's sad that someone paid $1k to write that.

Josh Sawyer responded on Twitter that he'd talk to people about it, and commented that it's hard to check everything, so at the very least it seems it could have been originally unintentional to let it in the game.

Where it will go from here, of course, is something else.

Well, I *did* address the NPCs also. :Cant's nervous smile icon: I don't want the crowd coming after *me* with the pitchforks and fiery brands. Well, the irony of that is that I would finally unite the two warring sides, which is something you could put on *my* tombstone.

• Like 3

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Bah, i guess im the only one that finds no harm done by that message, and i usually always take the politcal correctness road....

I mean, im playing a game where i can go around killing innocent people if i so wish in a fantasy setting so far away from our reality, a guy commiting suicide cause he had a relatiaon with a trans without being aware of it is nothing.

In fact, i think that the guy is the real victim. The trans could have told him what he was going against....Which from the very breaf message, the guy wasnt aware.

On the topic at hand, i personally think it will be a big let down by obsidian if they take out the backer npcs AND any tombstone message.

Edited by Wulfburk

Seriously the discussion about Firedorn has been overdone at this point, it will be just flamebait for this thread.

Now for backer content in general, I'm against the idea of Obsidian having to waste resources to make an option to remove the backers, even if you don't like it, those were the people that helped make this possible.

Though like someone said, there is modders that share your opinion and you should be able to achieve with it.

• Like 2

In fact, i think that the guy is the real victim. The trans could have told him what he was going against....Which from the very breaf message, the guy wasnt aware.

You know that people have used this very rationale as justification for murdering trans people, yes?

You know that people have used this very rationale as justification for murdering trans people, yes?

Yes the world is black and white, apply one thing and will surely translate it as this. Its not like humans are able to have different thoughts and approaches.

Regardless I will drop this discussion, too much silly banter for something that doesn't even represent Obsidian work or even 0,1% of the game content.

• Like 1

Well, I *did* address the NPCs also. :Cant's nervous smile icon: I don't want the crowd coming after *me* with the pitchforks and fiery brands. Well, the irony of that is that I would finally unite the two warring sides, which is something you could put on *my* tombstone.

You may have helped me in the long run. All this tombstone controversy will make the post count go up and the devs will think people hate the backers npcs.

hqdefault.jpg

• Like 3

Josh Sawyer responded on Twitter that he'd talk to people about it, and commented that it's hard to check everything

I also need to bring this up.

When you open yourself up to this kind of public addition into your own product, not going over every single detail to find something that might be potentially offensive or even actually mean spirited is a bonehead move.

• Like 2

You know ,I am a jew and my family have suffered greatly from the holocaust (my grandma lost her mind a while after surviving the death camps and my mother had a trauma for life from having to cope with her in her childhood and had some mental issues herself ,and  BTW it's a very common phenomena among the second generation of the Nazi death camp survivors )

And yet somehow I am still playing Wolfenstein  . The fact that there are Nazis/terrorists/homophobes/killers/rapists in games isn't bad and needs to be cherished because art and story telling is another way of remembering and acknowledging that these kind of things do exist and that we are not living in some fairytale universe and that sometimes humans are pretty evil.

As long as you are not getting to play a Nazi that kills jews for fun I won't be offended and even then I won't try to ban/change the game or to hurt it's sells ,but try to educate others about the sensitivity of the matter (Changing the game will only create backfire and more publication and that won't help).

Those oversensitive transsexuals shouldn't try to bully anyone ,if they think it will help (and I think it won't) they should open a discussion about that on the gaming media. But honestly I think that they are over reacting and shouldn't be offended at all.

(Great now I can get back into complaining about the lack of toilets in CRPGs and keep posting stupid videos ,I hate stupid politics)

Edited by barakav
  • Like 4

troll.gifseatroll.gificetroll.giftroll.gif

An ex-biophysicist but currently Studying Schwarzschild singularities' black holes' Hawking radiation using LAZORS and hypersonic sound wave models.

My main objective is to use my results to take over the world!

I have no problem with them, didn't know they were backer NPCs and thought the stories were written by Obsidian. Haven't come across anything really bad yet.

Same. And I liked the stories :)

Matilda is a Natlan woman born and raised in Old Vailia. She managed to earn status as a mercenary for being a professional who gets the job done, more so when the job involves putting her excellent fighting abilities to good use.

In fact, i think that the guy is the real victim. The trans could have told him what he was going against....

And HERE'S the "can I kill the gay party members?" post.

oh yes, because feeling regret on doing something you werent aware of the circunstances entirelly always leads to killing the person who misled you.

Basically, you guys are overreacting like hell and just need to grow the **** up. I was actually trolling on the victim part though. Of course the male is not a victim. And nor is the trans  IMO, that was my point. Of course the guy was an idiot to kill himself because of it, so what?

Or what, feeling regret (which in the this case, an extreme regret) over doing something with someone equals hate? You guys have any idea what you are talking about?

Did the guy hurt the trans when he found that he was a trans? Did he kill him/her? Is there any mention of a backslash? No. None at all.

Basically, stop with the nonsense and your overreacting and end this stupid discussion.

Edited by Wulfburk
  • Like 1

Basically, stop with the nonsense and your overreacting and end this stupid discussion.

But it's not stupid.

It brings up the actually very valid point within the concept of crowdfunder-made content of what constitutes offensive content and how should the company regulate their crowdfunded content.

It's not as simple as "don't click on them" though; some of the names simply do not fit the setting, and that's not something you can avoid seeing.\

In all fantasy games I see names that dont match what I BELIEVE is the setting, yet in all the others except this game that were created by the devs. most of the backers names I have seen so far are no better or worse than the real ones. Fantasy is subjective. Personally I would like to see more real names than the ultra strange using more vowels than english requires.

I would hate to see another company submit to the whines of SJWs. 

SJW's aren't the market, so a company submitting to them makes no sense.  The only value that they provide is the amount of whining, and their threats to the company in question.  I'd actually say they're no different than al sharpton or the mob.  "Nice company you've got here, it'd be a shame if someone called you guys sexist/misogynists/racists/etc."

I would hate to see another company submit to the whines of SJWs. 

SJW's aren't the market, so a company submitting to them makes no sense.  The only value that they provide is the amount of whining, and their threats to the company in question.  I'd actually say they're no different than al sharpton or the mob.  "Nice company you've got here, it'd be a shame if someone called you guys sexist/misogynists/racists/etc."

I got news for you both if you think companies like Obsidian and Double Fine only care about equality when it literally infects them like a virus...

I need to laugh every time someone talks about this or that company "submitting" to "SJWs".

• Like 3

Don't forget to send some love to the NPCs. I guess, to Smoker's point, all attention on backer created content relates to the same question, but please keep in mind, apart from the political discuss, in which I won't engage, there's also the specific question of what control consumers should have over backer created content, such as NPCs. In the end, it really doesn't matter if your argument is offense, political, aesthetic, or simply you can dig the backer created stuff. The question comes down to what the backers can expect in backing the product and what the consumer can expect in playing it.

• Like 1

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!