Controversial Limerick Discussion

It's not fair to those of us who backed. I understand it was backer content, but it sends a dangerous message. The joke wasn't even offensive.

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty.

I wouldn't throw a fit if they put in a toggle, but I want to be able to see the tombstone that I paid to have put in the game. I won't get angry if other folks don't want to or can't see it. ...But I, personally, want to be able to visit that tombstone.

I understand the NPCs are a little more in your face, but I don't begrudge the folks who paid for an NPC in the game getting it. After all, they backed the game at that level in order to get . Furthermore, they're really not all *that* cheesy. Some are better than others, for sure, but I haven't seen one that made me want to gouge out my eyes or anything. People pledged what for some of them was a significant or even great amount of money to help back the game and they were promised something in return. I think it's extremely unfortunate to have some people want to take that away from them. After all, these aren't people screaming for special status, such as the backer key thread and some others. These are people who pledged enough money to get the game off the ground and to surpass several milestones. They're getting nothing more or less than what they paid to get.

Perhaps Obsidian, if it does another kickstarter, will rethink the tiers and pledges. That's fair. Use the input from this experience to modify your approach next time. ...But I hope they don't remove the content that people paid in good faith to see in the game.

• Like 3

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

honestly, I just ignore them. Wouldn't be fair to the backers to turn them off. They payed a set amount, and were promised something in return.

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty.

You could always make it a personal goal to kill every backer character.

I honestly think this is only a step above "Why can't I kill all the gay characters" or "why can't I kill all the women party members?".

Killing an in-game character to somehow get revenge on someone that helped finance the game?

I sincerely hope Obsidian knows who their real fans are. Imagine if they'd had to censor New Vegas. Oh, you can't have prostitutes because that's "triggering". No women can get hurt. Slavery is offensive, so the Legion can't have slaves.

We honestly should stop bringing this up and wait if they will remove it or not. So far. There is no reason to do so. Even the gaming press is ignoring this. If they indeed remove it completely we can still state how dissatisfaction with it. But right now it is only a complain by a small extreme minority no one should pay attention to. 

• Like 1

I would hate to see another company submit to the whines of SJWs. 

Joke post?

I find it hard to believe Obsidian would actually put something mysoginistic or hateful in the game.

Edited by Bryy

Honestly ,I don't think that they give a care about the individual who posted it, and this is very good. Stop talking about that and let this story disappear from the Internet!

Cant EDIT: let's not call people names. Well... call members by their screen names. That's cool. You can call me Cant or Eldar. That's all well and good. No 'nutjobs' or 'idiots' or 'retards' or the like, please.

troll.gifseatroll.gificetroll.giftroll.gif

An ex-biophysicist but currently Studying Schwarzschild singularities' black holes' Hawking radiation using LAZORS and hypersonic sound wave models.

My main objective is to use my results to take over the world!

Honestly ,I don't think that they give a **** about the nutjob  who posted it ,and this is very good. Stop talking about that and let this story disappear from the Internet!

So something did happen. Okay.

And just not talking about this kind of stuff is never the answer. But can someone fill me in?

Edited by Bryy

Honestly ,I don't think that they give a **** about the nutjob  who posted it ,and this is very good. Stop talking about that and let this story disappear from the Internet!

And just not talking about this kind of stuff is never the answer. But can someone fill me in?

One of the backer messages is a joke about some dude who sleeps with someone he thinks is a woman who turns out to be a man, and then goes and kills himself from shame.  Some trans people found this upsetting and asked that it be removed.  Other people found them expressing the fact that they were upset by this (and the removal request) upsetting.

Edited by sparklecat

Edit: the forums screwed up my post. its now been merge. 

It is a cruel joke but this game takes place in a world of violence, discrimination, and superstition. Its silly to criticizes the devs  for writing fiction. Regardless, the memorial is not related to the story and its probably better to please a crowd who might be hurt by this. Its can be change quite easily and the backer, if he wish, can write something else. 

Edited by ryukenden

Try to be charitable to one another in this thread. Also, I've combined a couple of pro memorial/anti memorial threads. I don't think we can avoid some heated discussions. Fair enough. ...But we can *try* to keep them in one spot. Please confine fiery wrath to arguments and positions and not use it on other members. :Cant's bemused smile icon:

• Like 1

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

OMG.... These characters change or interfere absolutely NOTHING on the game whatsoever.... Find something else to complain... jesus. Just press freakingTAB when you enter a new area and you will ****ing know who is a backer char, who is a ordinary npc and which you can dialogue with and etc....

IT JUST TAKES 1 SECOND TO PRESS TAB

It is a cruel joke but this game takes place in a world of violence, discrimination, and superstition. Its silly to criticizes the devs  for writing fiction. Regardless, the memorial is not related to the story and its probably better to please a crowd who might be hurt by this. Its can be change quite easily and the backer, if he wish, can write something else. 

Of course its a cruel joke.... A MAN was deceived by a heartless human being who tricked him into thinking he was of another sex and did it on purpose! This person could have told the man that he was another man,but alas, he did not, and decided to trick him just like a witch in fairy tales of old.

I come forth to ask the withdraw of the message, because it supports the tricking of human beings, which once they are aware of what they did, it may lead them into a superb regret, which combining with possibly a lonely person who was most likely already deppresed, may force him into taking the easy way out, death.

HOW CAN YOU ALLOW THIS OBISIDIAN

Edited by Wulfburk

One of the backer messages is a joke about some dude who sleeps with someone he thinks is a woman who turns out to be a man, and then goes and kills himself from shame.  Some trans people found this upsetting and asked that it be removed.  Other people found them expressing the fact that they were upset by this (and the removal request) upsetting.

Holy ****, that is disgusting.

Poe's law at its' best! I am not even sure if he isn't sarcastic...

Edited by barakav

troll.gifseatroll.gificetroll.giftroll.gif

An ex-biophysicist but currently Studying Schwarzschild singularities' black holes' Hawking radiation using LAZORS and hypersonic sound wave models.

My main objective is to use my results to take over the world!

I mean it's definitely a grey area. It's rather horrible but does it outright say the person he slept with is transgender? It sounds like someone morphed into a female, slept with him, then morphed back. 

The only thing I will say about the memorial issue is I find it very rude to take the twitter shaming approach to try to get your way. Social media drives me crazy at times. I trust that Obsidian will make the right decision about this.

I mean it's definitely a grey area. It's rather horrible but does it outright say the person he slept with is transgender? It sounds like someone morphed into a female, slept with him, then morphed back. 

No, it's an implication.  Something like... you know what, I'll look it up. 

Here's the link; the backer message is in the first post: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/73243-memorials-problem/