Controversial Limerick Discussion

The IE Mod apparently plans to externalize the lists of text from the Memorials, so it can be tweaked.  I'm looking forward to this, since I'll finally be able to make jokes that are blatantly offensive rather than just potentially offensive!

• Like 1

This topic was on Gamefaqs, I can only assume that it was the same person.

I personally don't see how this is a problem whatsoever. Do not click on those NPC's and ignore them completely, treat them as any other commoner or random NPC in a town.

There are bigger things to worry about now such as game breaking glitches and bugs. 

It takes 3 seconds to see their name and 1 second to click on them. There's 500+ of them. It's annoying.

Edited by Smoker

While I find their presence to be vaguely irritating, I remind myself that without the people who provided that level of backing, this game would've been unlikely to occur.

• Like 1

This topic was on Gamefaqs, I can only assume that it was the same person.

I personally don't see how this is a problem whatsoever. Do not click on those NPC's and ignore them completely, treat them as any other commoner or random NPC in a town.

There are bigger things to worry about now such as game breaking glitches and bugs. 

It takes 3 seconds to see their name and 1 second to click on them. There's 500+ of them. It's annoying.

Heres a tip to save your sanity :-)

When running through areas with npc's in just quickly hold down the tab button to quickly show the names of all the npc's on the screen and make a mental note of the ones with yellow boxes on them so you can avoid them.... thats what i do.

No it doesn't. Hit tab and the names come up straight away. And, there's not 500+. According to the KS pages, there's 114 of them throughout the whole game. And as mentioned by more than one person in this thread, Obsidian wrote the stories for some of them. Maybe all of of them. So blame the Obsidian writers if you don't like what's written.

Really? if you dont like them dont click on them lol. This is such a stupid complaint to have, its extra content if you want it and it is how the game was funded. There are so many non-backer npcs to talk to as well you are really making a big deal over nothing.

PS- if they werent backer NPCs they would be generic no text npcs, it isnt like they would be replaced y better npcs

What he said.  If you just press tab, you can instantly see which npcs are backer and which aren't.  A lot of people donated a lot of money so that the game you're playing could be funded, and as an extra reward they get an npc named after them in the game, which is pretty cool.  If you don't like pressing tab all the time when walking around, then your complaint should be "obsidian needs to add an option to toggle always displaying npc names, so I don't waste 1.2 seconds of my life accidentally clicking on an npc I don't want to talk to," not "backer npcs suck."

• Like 1

What he said.  If you just press tab, you can instantly see which npcs are backer and which aren't.  A lot of people donated a lot of money so that the game you're playing could be funded, and as an extra reward they get an npc named after them in the game, which is pretty cool.  If you don't like pressing tab all the time when walking around, then your complaint should be "obsidian needs to add an option to toggle always displaying npc names, so I don't waste 1.2 seconds of my life accidentally clicking on an npc I don't want to talk to," not "backer npcs suck."

They could've found ways to include backers that weren't quite so blatantly incongruous.

Hide the names until you talk to them. Limit races and outfits to things suiting the location. That's all it'd take and then they'd just be background NPCs for those who want to ignore them.

please god yes

and to all the defenders: imagine browsing a webpage and seeing ads all over the top and sides of the page. you can't choose not to see them since they are everywhere around what you are looking at. having to play wheres waldo to find the normal npcs to talk to is really annoying. i can't even make out the name tag color difference most of the time.

if it were a $10 game its easy to forgive this nonsense but for $45+ they shouldn't shove these amateur fanfics down our throats.

• Like 1

Sure, I understand what you guys are saying, even if I don't agree.  I think they probably were in a sticky situation where they didn't want the people who pledged for an npc to feel shorted, but they also wanted the NPCs to integrate well into the game.  I agree they maybe could've switched up the NPC locations to fit their surroundings a little better, but that would probably be a lot of work to do perfectly.  There are 115+ backer npcs in the game, and it's not a trivial task to make a database of all their names, races, and clothing, and then assign them to suitable areas and have someone place them in the world.  For me, I'd rather they spent time on other things, like quest design, making more items, spell diversity, etc.

edit: I actually think it would be worse if they hid the names until you clicked on them, because to be honest I don't want to talk to most of them either, and if the names were hidden I couldn't avoid them.

Edited by Srex
  • Like 1

The tombstones are as unobtrusive as possible. Not only do you have to actively click them, they're quite rare and don't ruin anything even while tabbing.

The backer NPCs... Way fewer godlikes would have been nice, and some guidance in the names. Running into Sturm Brightblade (that one's real) or Mike "the Squirrelslayer" Raskolnikov (invented but representative name :D) does feel strange a lot.

OTOH, if that's the price for getting the game at all, then I can certainly live with that.

I'm totally fine with Mike "the Squirrel Slayer". I remember playing multiplayer NWN (community server with strict adherence to role playing). We had a serious problem with badgers outside a noob entrance making it overly difficult to get in and out the city gates. Needless to say, Joshua "the Badger Slayer", dressed in rags and screaming profanities as he punched the badgers to death, was a great help to the community.

Now the tombstone names are definitely out of place, but you really would have to go out of your way to get upset about that. I found the tombstones a nice reminder *why* I'm able to play this game :)

please god yes

and to all the defenders: imagine browsing a webpage and seeing ads all over the top and sides of the page. you can't choose not to see them since they are everywhere around what you are looking at. having to play wheres waldo to find the normal npcs to talk to is really annoying. i can't even make out the name tag color difference most of the time.

if it were a $10 game its easy to forgive this nonsense but for $45+ they shouldn't shove these amateur fanfics down our throats.

I have to ask, are you colour blind?  I could see that if it was the case, otherwise it's very easy to tell the difference between the two.

• Like 1

The stories are fun, it's totally optional, and the degree of over-the-top entitlement by some players of this game is truly absurd.

"It breaks my immersion to see NPCs standing there with different-colored nameplates".  Good God, if your immersion is that fragile, how do you stand using a mouse and staring at a computer screen?

• Like 4