Controversial Limerick Discussion

Pillars of Eternity is a really, really fantastic game, you know? But part of it kind of sucks: the backer NPCs. You know the ones: all of the yellow-bar NPCs whose souls you can peer into, and read a short story about.

They are almost uniformly terrible.

The writing is usually pretty poor, the characters frequently being cast in the mold of Mary Sue, with names that fail to fit into the setting (and frequently don't even try to fit in). The stories themselves, though once in a while decently written and interesting, never contribute anything to the setting or world of the game.

Oh: and most of them are the super-rare Godlikes.

I swear: there are more Godlikes in the Dyrwood than humans, elves, dwarves, aumaua and sentient kittens combined.

So there really, really needs to be an option to remove/hide these NPCs, or a mod to excise them entirely. I feel that their presence serves as an active detriment to the overall experience of the game--not cool.

• Like 29

The best you can do about them right now is the IE mod; created by Bester, Sensuki, and Karakrov. They included an option to change all the backer names to lore friendly ones, and a console command to remove the fanfics. Frankly couldn't endorse those guys enough. The mod is over at the nexus.

http://www.nexusmods.com/pillarsofeternity/mods/1/?

Edited by W.MacKinnon

Obsidian themselves couldn't provide such an option, in good faith to the backers. 

Mods will take care of this soon, I'm sure.

• Like 12

Pillars of Eternity is a really, really fantastic game, you know? But part of it kind of sucks: the backer NPCs. You know the ones: all of the yellow-bar NPCs whose souls you can peer into, and read a short story about.

They are almost uniformly terrible.

The writing is usually pretty poor, the characters frequently being cast in the mold of Mary Sue, with names that fail to fit into the setting (and frequently don't even try to fit in). The stories themselves, though once in a while decently written and interesting, never contribute anything to the setting or world of the game.

Oh: and most of them are the super-rare Godlikes.

I swear: there are more Godlikes in the Dyrwood than humans, elves, dwarves, aumaua and sentient kittens combined.

So there really, really needs to be an option to remove/hide these NPCs, or a mod to excise them entirely. I feel that their presence serves as an active detriment to the overall experience of the game--not cool.

Really? if you dont like them dont click on them lol. This is such a stupid complaint to have, its extra content if you want it and it is how the game was funded. There are so many non-backer npcs to talk to as well you are really making a big deal over nothing.

PS- if they werent backer NPCs they would be generic no text npcs, it isnt like they would be replaced y better npcs

Edited by Ceranai
  • Like 4

Just kill them if they bother you so much. That's what I intend to do on my next playthrough.

• Like 9

"When the foul sore of envy corrupts the vanquished heart, the very exterior itself shows how forcibly the mind is urged by madness. For paleness seizes the complexion, the eyes are weighed down, the spirit is inflamed, while the limbs are chilled, there is frenzy in the heart, there is gnashing with the teeth."

well, you dont have to read them, they are clearing marked and I have yet see one truly terrible name that completely threw me out of the game. Some of the stories are interesting but others clearly need a good edit. Given it is those people's fath and support that allow this game get as far as it is they deserve their little corner of the world

honestly the way people are going on around when I got in game I was expecting to see all these Xbox gamer tag type names, however after like 15 hours I have seen nothing that made me whinch.

Edited by Prideaux
  • Like 3

I found most of the stories interesting and the names didn't strike me as out of place. To each their own I guess.

My NPC has been written by Obsidian. Any complaints about the NPC's story, you'll have to take it up with the Obsidian writers.  :p

Which one is yours and what is his story about? Did you have any input regarding the story direction?

Edited by RottenBrain
  • Like 1

Waiter! Fresh underwear, seven blankets and a bucket of moist towelettes!

I just ignore them, there were some good ones but I don't dig all the drama involved. Also they are not mostly godlike, at least from what I've seen.

Derpdragon of the Obsidian Order

Derpdragons everywhere. I like spears.

No sleep for the Watcher... because he was busy playing Pillars of Eternity instead.

Some stories are pretty well-written actually. I recommend taking the time to at least glance over the texts once, to seperate the gems from the trash.

I dunno man I heard one may be transphobic and the very thought nearly gave me a stroke!!!

• Like 3

Some stories are pretty well-written actually. I recommend taking the time to at least glance over the texts once, to seperate the gems from the trash.

I dunno man I heard one may be transphobic and the very thought nearly gave me a stroke!!!

The ruckus about the "transphobic" story is actually utter bull****. First: the "transphobic" bit is a light-hearted gravestone poem. Second: it isn't even clear that it's about transgender, as the only fact that you can take from this poem is that the guy in question slept with a man. Why he did that isn't stated. It could have been just alcohol, with the other guy just being a straight man either (equally alcoholized). And seriously, if you find that offensive, then you shouldn't leave your home.

Edited by Zwiebelchen
  • Like 3

The ruckus about the "transphobic" story is actually utter bull****. First: the "transphobic" bit is a light-hearted gravestone poem. Second: it isn't even clear that it's about transgender, as the only fact that you can take from this poem is that the guy in question slept with a man. Why he did that isn't stated. It could have been just alcohol, with the other guy just being a straight man either (equally alcoholized). And seriously, if you find that offensive, then you shouldn't leave your home.

If you read my post as being authentic and anything but tongue-in-cheek, you should be put INTO a home :p

• Like 2

If you read my post as being authentic and anything but tongue-in-cheek, you should be put INTO a home :p

See, this is what the internet, once a golden and shiny place of humour and freedom, has become. You take every quirky comment for real simply because there are people that actually *are* this dense and it's perfectly believable that it *wasn't* sarcasm.

Edited by Zwiebelchen