How to use chanter spells?

I must be missing something. But they are never usable. It says, "Requires X phrases chanted". But how do I do that? I have the chant engaged and I can hear him chant at the beginning of combat but the spells are still not usable during combat. What am I doing wrong?

You can see a small number in the bottom right of the Chanter's icon. When this reaches 3(or more depending on the spell I guess) you can cast a spell.
Think of it like your Chanter has to sing 3 verses before he can cast a spell ;)

*The number increases "automatically" as time passes when you have the chant engaged as you said
**If you create huge chants, it will obviously take more time

Edited by Jimmious
  • Like 2

You keep chant on. You wait for the chanter to complete the required number of phrases. Make sure that you have a chant loop set up in the chant screen, so that your chanter is chanting continuously. See how Kana's set up to do it, if you've got that far.

• Like 1

I must be missing something. But they are never usable. It says, "Requires X phrases chanted". But how do I do that? I have the chant engaged and I can hear him chant at the beginning of combat but the spells are still not usable during combat. What am I doing wrong?

There is a circle under chanter's portrait that shows a number from 0~3. You need to fullfill 3 to cast an invocation. (not sure at higher level, probably still require 3 phrases, which means the earlier invocations especially the summon ones would render useless I guess)

• Like 1

So it's just automatic with time?

You keep chant on. You wait for the chanter to complete the required number of phrases. Make sure that you have a chant loop set up in the chant screen, so that your chanter is chanting continuously. See how Kana's set up to do it, if you've got that far.

Yeah I started using Kana just now and trying to figure it out.

EDIT: Ok thanks. Figured it out. Just takes a while.

Edited by Fighter

I didn't think you had to do anything special for that. I made Gunner's Cadence with just a single rapid reload phrase and it looped just fine. I could tell because he accumulated phrases and after every fight the gunners had their comically quick reload animation.  :biggrin:

Curious about the subraces in Pillars of Eternity? Check out