Party Exp. and Quest Exp.

Can someone enlighten me on how this works, I've noticed that at the conclusion of a quest you get 2 exp notifications, and so far I've interpreted "Party Exp" as the earned experience Vs "Quest Exp" as the total I could have earned.

But I'm not really sure, so I would welcome insight on the issue.

I've noticed that we've gotten two notifications, one for experience the party was given and one for total quest experience.  I had been assuming that when total was larger, it meant that we'd gotten some experience for that quest earlier in the quest line, but I haven't been keeping careful track, so I don't know for sure.

Most quests award you small portions of exp at certain steps, Like when you unlock a chest or win a battle. Total exp is the sum you've gained from all steps in that quest, while the other notification is the exp you get for the last step.

Exp you earn is split among party members too.

Derpdragon of the Obsidian Order

Derpdragons everywhere. I like spears.

No sleep for the Watcher... because he was busy playing Pillars of Eternity instead.

• 1 month later...

Hmm, it is misleading;

I interpreted it as "you got 1560 exp, but if you had done better (dig dipper, use other dialog options)  you would have earn 2340 exp. 

Btw. are quests graded? Is it possible to do quest in a way that generates different exp. rewards? 

• Like 1

It is as SeekDWay said: "Party XP" is how much you got for the last step in the quest (like turning it in). "Quest XP" is the sum of XP you got through all the stages of this quest, and it only appears once you finish a quest.

• Like 1

Therefore I have sailed the seas and come

To the holy city of Byzantium. -W.B. Yeats

Χριστός ἀνέστη!