Am I the only person who have positive things to say?

This game is amazing. I'm about 80 hours in and it's AMAZING. I haven't hit any major bugs except Raedrics hold bug, and I had a save just before I opened the bugged map. Other than that it's been clear sailing.

I love the companions most of all, actually. Their all so cool and well-written I'm actually torn between who to leave behind and who to take with me. I want ALL their stories! I find them to be much more mature and complex than the companions from BG and BG2 from a writing perspective. Eder is funny, for example, but he has the world-weary cynical humor of somebody whose been lost for a long time and isn't sure they'll ever find their way again--as opposed to the straight out jokes of the companions in BG2.

I've been very happy with my experience thus far in PoE. 

Me too. It's such an amazing game, even if it sometimes takes ages for me to get it to work on my well below minimum rig.

The music is absolutely top notch.

...Kinda disagree. Elmshore theme is great, and the strings in the opening give me the chills, but otherwise meh. I would've appreciated a Watcher/Memories of a Distant Life/Thaos theme building on those sorrowful opening notes (also present in that scene right before the end of act 2), which could play during the flashbacks.

Handcrafted visuals are also amazing.

The endurance / health system is really great and makes for some interesting dungon crawling, even though it's often easy to just go back to an inn to rest somewhere it makes you wanna win fights and push an extra fight even though you maybe shouldn't.

Lots of sidequests that are actually interesting.

Game starts out great and throws you directly in to the story of the game, instead of letting you start of by killing rabbits and doing meaningless tasks.

I love that you sticked to the pause fighting system. This system is great, because it makes ME able to control the speed and detail of fights. Easy fights take just seconds while harder.

Agreed on all accounts. I also love how much characters of the same class can be differentiated from each other, how attribute-unlocked dialogue options are not always the optimal choice, the sheer reactivity of it, and the combat in general. Which is surprising, since I generally prefer to resolve matters peacefully.

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

I've read several other threads about loving the game and thanks to Obsidian. And reading this you can see the appreciation to, so it never was all hate. I like the one describing that we each can read into something in a different tone then intended, in this case negatively. To me it is constructive criticism in general, a few hate trolls, not that many though, but someone takes it as "Am I the only one?". About if you love the game your playing it and not posting here. As you can see there are plenty of people that love it and post here. It's more about reporting, discussing decisions made and how it could be better, you know talking about the hobby of gaming. I'm near certain if discussed say in a month from now, the designers of the game will mention things that worked well and things that didn't and if compared to posts today there will be parallels between the two. It would be very hard to nail it all just right the first release, will be interesting to see what they patch and what their next offering looks like.

No, but ranting and raving about how the game is "broken" and such doesn't do any good, either. A bug report is a bug report--a neutral statement of an issue found. Criticism is criticism, and can be good or destructive. It's not a bad thing to call somebody out for passionate, inaccurate hyperbole that doesn't actually reflect the real state of things.

• Like 1

You're not the only one OP.

This game is a monumental achievement in my book.

I do miss alignments instead of faction reputations, I do miss thieves being weak but resourceful (instead of Kali-esque gods of DPS) and I do miss my dark maiden Viconia, but these are all things that can be mended in a sequel.

It really is a masterpiece and the best Obsidian game so far... and it has so much soul in it, it feels like breathing with an extra lung while playing it, compared to most 'GOTY' rpg's we've had...god, has it been a decade?

Aside from polishing/balancing issues, only thing I would have liked to have been released is a good companion AI package... I think a large number of people, will be amazed with art style, writing and depth of rpg mechanics, but still give it a pass because of the required combat micro management.

I'm enjoying this game and I can't help but think how wrong Bioware (not bashing... just saying) got it with the Dragon Age series. Don't get me wrong while I've played all the DA games (and liked them... yes even DA2) I remember it being a franchise that was supposed to be the "spiritual successor" to the Bladur Gate franchise.

So I hope Obsidian takes both the postive and negative comments and builds a pound a great new IP... and hopefully our journey has only began in the world of Eora!

• Like 1

sadly ALL games forums are like this these days, full of people complaining but rarely celebrating the good. I can not think of a single release in the last few years where the forums havent been flooded by unconstructive criticism... everyone else is too busy playing the game.

I have had a few crushing bugs so far but they are to be expected in a game of this scope and size, and those who see how brilliant the core structure of this game is are happy to report them and give the devs time. See unlike something like Assassins Creed Unity which was obviously rushed out to meet the needs of backers and company (not the gamers), this game was pushed back quite a few times putting the players first.

As with any games of this scope and scale bugs are too be expected and yes even obvious big ones. The one thing we cant criticise this company for is not testing. There is just a point where weather a wide scale troubled launch will help a game troubleshoot.

Best crpg I've ever played besides Planescape:Torment. Love the world, love the story, love the lore.  While I did like Baldur's Gate I could never commit myself to the "Planet Europe" lore of D&D games of that era. And for me I find Durance and Eder much more interesting than the npcs of the BG games anyway. (Durance is ****ing awesome in such a wrong way its not even funny)

Looooove the Vailians

Lorenzzo Medicci

"Come Vailia , vino ottiene solo

migliorare con il tempo . Perché il suo

modo Vailiano !"

I love it.  I was pretty unsure about the new attribute system and not having "pure" classes, but have since become sold on the system they came up with.  Every class DOES play way differently.  A chanter needs to be able to survive a while in combat to be useful, paladins are always useful, just not supremely powerful, having a priest can really make things go more easily in terms of recuperation, etc, etc.  I still dislike that I can't really steal, but, oh well.  The dialogue is good- I really like the ACTUAL conversations that happen.  It definitely has more of a Torment feel for that, and is more philosophical/"historical" than BG. 

I have to say, I'm kinda underwhelmed by the NPCs.  I was really hoping for some "incredible NPC interaction", like in BG2.  I don't feel it has really delivered on that.  I mean, there is a little, but it is more that they interject while you are talking to someone else.  That can be interesting and add value to those conversations, but I feel like they are probably going to essentially say the same thing, no matter what character you are playing.  In BG 2, I really felt like they had "relationships"- whether it was an untrusting one, or a friendship.  Here, it seems a little less pronounced.

I wasn't sure about whether there would be enough monster types, since they weren't inheriting the Forgotten Realms bestiary, but I feel they did a really good job of mixing things up and keeping it interesting, with a variety of enemies, that typically fight and feel different. 

Oh, and like usual, don't know what bugs people are talking about.  I had maybe 2 instances that my computer restarted.  But, that might have been because it just overwhelmed from hours of non-stop gameplay ;)  I feel like lots of people just don't update their drivers or have good hardware, and then encounter problems because of that- user error, not a fault of the game.

Edited by Michael_Galt

"1 is 1"

There are plenty of good things about the game, but most people tend to notice the bad things more than the good ones.

I am enjoying all the good parts of PoE, but when I run into some of its problems they enrage me more than any of the good feeling the good parts give me.

Unhappy people will post more, that's just the nature of the internet.

Once people realize PoE is not going to be "Baldur's Gate 3", and after a patch or two come out, the forum should quiet down. I've only played for about 12 hours, I like it so far, and it runs better on my Macbook Pro than "Wasteland 2" ever did. So I've got that going for me, which is nice. Patiently waiting for the patch before diving really deep into it.

You are absolutely not the only one that has positive things to say. The game is amazing. However, positive things to say is rarely.. constructive.

It's like... "This works really well", and the discussion usually ends there, provided everyone is in agreeance. People tend to discuss issues, not non-issues. This isn't always true, because sometimes there are people that insist on making mountains out of molehills and engineer issues-that-aren't-really, but those are the exception, not the rule.

There's many good things in PoE. It is a great game. There's very little to add to that trail of thought.

t50aJUd.jpg

I just finished up my first playthrough and yep, this is one amazing game. Definitely the best Obsidian has done and one of the best RPGs I've ever played. Like anything, it's not without its flaws but wow, what a game. Seriously.

I'm so excited to see where this is going next. I hope to god they keep the formula the same and DON'T DUMB IT DOWN ANY!

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

I am just SO glad we are here talking about a CRPG again. It's been waaay too long. I am so impressed with Obisidian. These guys were ready to fold. And the one game they thought to make is the one game genre the world thought was dead. Props to them for sticking with their old school gut and making PoE.

Sure, it's not perfect and there are bugs. But what game this size doesn't have bugs the first week or two.

The ground work has been laid. I never in a million years thought I would be playing this type of game in 2015. And now we may be getting a second one.

I will continue to enjoy this game as I delve deeper into the lore, the dungeons, and the world that has been crafted.

Edited by Jayngo
  • Like 1

I'm really happy with the game, although I started to get a little worried as I closed in on the end of Act I... the opening was very somber, and I missed some of the whimsy and humor of previous Black Isle / Bioware titles. It picked up as I gained more NPCs (more party banter) and the city allows for lots of questing opportunity.

The endurance system is great. Some of the new class types (chanter, in particular) are quite interesting to play.

Definitely met my expectations, including the stronghold and endless dungeon.