Am I the only person who have positive things to say?

A lot of people love the game, but in every forum ever, people will talk about problems. It's not surprising really. Obviously I too hate the terrible bugs and really hope they get sorted out (I'd rather get it sorted out well than quickly to be honest).

I backed this game because I've seen that Obsidian can make some great RPGs, and in my opinion they came through. I haven't enjoyed a game this much in a very long time. After playing this game for a few hours, I thought "instant classic", and now at the 30 hour mark I haven't changed my opinion.

Of course you'll also have people who want a completely different type of game. They won't like it, and that's OK. There are also legitimate issues with the game balance in a few places, but I don't think it really spoils the fun.

Edited by termokanden

From the little bit I've seen and played I really like the game. I really love RPGs and so far this one has not let me down at all! :) To be fair, I have yet to experience any(?) of the bugs so far. So maybe I'm biased because of it, either way, I am really enjoying the game and will continue to play it. :D

The game is great as it is. True, some things could have been done better, but these thing are not breaking the overall experience. I can only imagine were the franchise will go from here, given Obsidian has higher budget and no backers telling them what to do and how (I'm really happy they didn't listen to the demands of many of the backers in these forums).

As others have already posted: Most people don't ever venture onto forums. Out of those even fewer are vocal. You're more likely to see negative/critical posts than positive ones simply because most people don't see any reason to share positive feedback unless prompted to. It's generally more "important" to bring up issues than sing the praise of something. 

Do remember that critiscm =/= negativity. Raising a point doesn't mean you don't like the game. 

I'm loving this game, I only read the forums after getting home from work or when I'm taking a break from hours of playing. Won't have to go back to work until wednesday, guess what I'll be doing?  :dancing:  True, there are a few things I don't like all that much, like the rest and engagement system, but there is nothing that really aggravates me. Still didn't encounter any bugs or I just didn't notice, I don't care about stats as long as I can survive combat. Here's hoping there will be some expansions and sequels in the future.

This game is great. Wonderful atmosphere, great character design, and a very compelling story. Yes, there are bugs and some things do have that tacked on feel, but for the most part, I'm enjoying the hell out of the game. 

I guess unsatisfied people are louder than us who just love the game, and spend our time happily playing it.

As is usually the case :)

I have tons of positive things to say, but I'm trying to focus on playing. The forums only make me depressed. But I've considered doing pretty much what you did here, and go into detail about all the awesome things this game has to offer. I just hope the devs realize there are a great number of us who actually LOVE the game and don't pick it apart for flaws.

• Like 1

Since the release I've been trying to avoid the steaming negativity threads because they won't improve my enjoyment of the game one iota. Bug posts are great; nit picking whines over unfulfilled personal preferences... not so much. :p

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I just want to clarify if anyone feels my posts can come off as negative or you read into them as overly negative.

Since the release I've been trying to avoid the steaming negativity threads because they won't improve my enjoyment of the game one iota. Bug posts are great; nit picking whines over unfulfilled personal preferences... not so much. :p

I am immensely optimistic and finding this game amazing :D seeing the foundations they have laid bare, it is fairly easy to see what they want to do with it and which way it is headed ;) this is the beginning of a series, not the end.

Critique of what works well and what works worse is well-intentioned as to create even more improved content for the future and I believe it is helpful for Obsidian. All feedback about the game is great, regardless if it is positive or negative. But "This game sucks!" ain't helping anybody, such posts would need elaboration, explanation of what was wrong, what the Player felt was bad etc.

Of course, no developer can cater to every single personal preference, but they can cater to a broad range of individuals by seeing the "stick" tests. Most developers that have used some form of Early Access or Beta Access praise it for a reason.

• Like 1

Nope, I love the game to. Many people are just playing the game and not visiting the forums so it makes the handful that make a big deal out of some bugs look like its more people.

Edited by kozzy

Handcrafted visuals are also amazing.

The endurance / health system is really great and makes for some interesting dungon crawling, even though it's often easy to just go back to an inn to rest somewhere it makes you wanna win fights and push an extra fight even though you maybe shouldn't.

Lots of sidequests that are actually interesting.

I love that you sticked to the pause fighting system. This system is great, because it makes ME able to control the speed and detail of fights. Easy fights take just seconds while harder.

I Concur, but then i differ on some things that actually meant i could not enjoy the game as i hoped i would:

The music is absolutely top notch.

Good for you, i actually felt it was awful and generic, in past IE games, there were a lot of times i just remained in a map listening to the music. I understand they had to use their in-house composer for budget reasons tough.

Game starts out great and throws you directly in to the story of the game, instead of letting you start of by killing rabbits and doing meaningless tasks.

It's the same with every most IE games RPGs i usually hate it.

For example the scene in Cilant Lîs where you meet the BBEG was unnesesary and it gave you too early someone to hunt and blame for your condition. I could have been handled better maybe as some kind of flashback like it happens later in the game in Dryford, but only after you get to know more about what's happening to you

I for one didn't suffer from any of the bugs

Lucky you, I got the double click equip bug, the animal companion bug and the Raedric Hold crashing bug (This last one in all 3 of my playtroughs if only because i learned how to avoid the first two).

Or, more likely, people were playing and then came to the forum when bugs impacted them.  Let's try not to keep trivializing issues with the game and acting like it's all made up.

Of course, reporting bugs is important. But this isn't even the right section of the forums for doing so. And most of what I have seen here over the past days has been people pointing out what should have been in the game, how mechanics in the game suck and simply in general offering their opinion and pieces of fact that everyone should embrace.

It's easy to forget some praise and positive feedback every once in a while.

Personally, I rated this game 10 on meta critic( to combat the trolls!), but in all honesty I would give it more of 7.5 or 8. 

But then again, games as complex as this will never reach a perfect score (when I saw Skyrim reviews, I thought entire human race had gone insane), and the older games that we all idolize are far from one as well ( Morrowind, BG2 or Torment are my all time favorites, but I could write a whole book from just listing their flaws). 

People need to step back and think before hitting post button and consider what they're complaining about... majority of 'problems' they go on about come to differences in opinion and they refuse to see anything from any perspective, but their own. 

I can't say if it's a 10 yet. I'll reserve that judgment until after I've completed it. But... based on what I've seen thus far, especially with a patch or two, the 10 is very likely to be my rating. And understand, I don't rate games as 10.

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

30 hrs in and this is one of the finest rpgs i've played in a long time. i'd put it up there with the other IE games, and that's a legit compliment :dragon:

good job obsidian

Not much more to say than this. It's an outstanding game. Some people were going to hate it no matter what. Let them be miserable.

I'm enjoying it a lot.  I wasn't sure that I would -- I've been playing ARPGs and MMOs so much that I've gotten used to clicking through text and running off to kill 20 rats or whatever -- but the writing has really drawn me in, and I enjoy the mechanics.

Doesn't mean there are no bugs or flaws, of course, or that it will appeal to everyone.  But I think if you read between the lines you can see a lot of enthusiasm for the game throughout the forums.

I think it's the best rpg I've ever played. I encountered a few bugs, sure. I had to refight a few battles because they just wouldn't end.  But there were points where I had to ask myself why other companies aren't making games of this quality. The music and graphics are gorgeous and will remain so with age. The story is wonderfully crafted. The world is reactive. I couldn't stop playing this game until I finished it.

Some people are never satisfied. But this game is precisely what they said they were going to do: a IE style game  drawing inspiration from other IE titles. It's everything that modern rpgs have given up on because marketing didn't approve. It's a smart game that requires some brainpower. That makes the game esoteric, which is by definition, not universally accessible: not suitable for mass-market consumption.

I think that explains why some people don't like it, but the other half are upset that they didn't get exactly what they had before. They're upset that we have new systems like engagement, or that wizards aren't exactly the same as in AD&D, because to be any different is to be "completely useless and broken". This portion of the community is completely stuck in the past and unable to adapt.

At the end of the day, if you like it, that's all that matters. It doesn't matter if we have a vocal community of people who hate it. It doesn't matter that the steam rating is very positive. It doesn't matter that the metacritic score is currently 90. What matters is that, you, the individual, like this game-- or dislike it. Everyone else's opinion, for you, is just background noise.

Edited by Verenti
  • Like 2