My Comments (So Far) On PoE

Where I am in-game: Act 2, chasing the Leaden Key. I just finished the "Blood Legacy" quest.

So far, I've only encountered two things about this game I don't like ....

A. Load screens feel "long," & the further I get into the game, the longer Quick Saves seem to take.

B. The 4-rest limit on camping supplies adds tedium, not fun :(

I can't think of anything else negative to say about this game ... I haven't had this much fun with a single-player RPG since .... well, I can't remember. Yesterday, I spent close to 8 hours hacking on this game, & loved every minute of it. I haven't done that since probably NWN2, at least. This game is, simply, compelling crazy fun. If the two "issues" I have with it were not there, it would be pretty much perfect.

In fact, I'll say this: Obsidian Entertainment should have called the "Normal" difficulty level "Flayedawg's Game," because it is so close to perfectly tuned for my desired level of challenge that it's almost like they were reading my brain when they developed it.

As for the two issues ... well, I deal with them. I would have loved, for example, if there were some connection between your Survival skill & the amount of camping supplies you can carry. But 4 is too few, especially when you're deep in a dungeon with a long way to go to get back to the exit, & knowing that when you come back you'll be mousing over large, empty areas just to get back to where you were previously fighting. But for some reason Obsidian chose to go with this limit, so there we are.

Overall grade, at this point: 8/10, the best single-player CRPG since *at least* NWN2, if not longer. Now, can we possibly take the Fallout license away from BethSoft & return it to people who will do right, instead of turning it into "Oblivion" with guns???

Haven't you heard?
It's a battle of words!
the poster bearer cried.

I agree that normal difficulty is well tuned for my desired challenge level. I disagree with your comment on the camping supply limit. If anything, 4 is too much on normal difficulty. I usually rest once per dungeon, though I've only just made it to Defiance Bay so far.

A. Load screens too long.

Possible because of a bug so that will be fixed.

My personal annoyance in PoE is that if you pass an enemy (i.e. you want your party member to run to the other side) your PC always engages the target when he nears the enemy instead of moving where you ordered him too. Caused a lot of pain in the final boss battle. 

• Like 1

I've read that there's a bug that the more you save in this game the longer your load screens get and the longer it takes to save.  Some people are reporting up to 30 seconds or longer to load and/or save a game.  I haven't had it happen to me but I'm trying not to save too much and deleting all my old saves if I don't need them in the hopes that it will help. 

• Like 1

Overall grade, at this point: 8/10, the best single-player CRPG since *at least* NWN2, if not longer. Now, can we possibly take the Fallout license away from BethSoft & return it to people who will do right, instead of turning it into "Oblivion" with guns???

Oh man that would be SO awesome..!!

• Like 1

I agree that normal difficulty is well tuned for my desired challenge level. I disagree with your comment on the camping supply limit. If anything, 4 is too much on normal difficulty. I usually rest once per dungeon, though I've only just made it to Defiance Bay so far.

I've lost track of the times most of my party has been hurt badly & needed to rest, especially after big fights. The issue is this: having to mouse all the way back out of an empty dungeon, travel all the way back to town, & then mouse all the way back through an empty dungeon is simply not fun. 

I can't help thinking that perhaps resting "in the wild" should not use camping supplies, but camping *in a dungeon* does. That would help, a little bit. Regardless, it almost feels like the only reason I'm mentioning this as an "issue" in the first place is that otherwise, I feel like I'm implying the game is flawless, & we all know that's not true ;)

• Like 1

Haven't you heard?
It's a battle of words!
the poster bearer cried.

Salutations fellow adventurers!

I just started my initial foray into the game. I will offer no comments at this early stage of adventuring. Besides, I really just wanted to see if my avatar displayed properly.

Watch your backs out there. 

• Like 1

They put blizzards in Company of Heroes 2. Hold on, this is sort of relevant. Blizzards were designed to make battles more tactical - your pioneer units need to build bonfires to stop other units freezing to death. Air support doesn't work in blizzards. Your units movement is hobbled.

In short, and on paper, they are a sound mechanic for making the battle more tactical and micro-intensive, stuff RTS players love.

Guess what?

A sizeable chunk of CoH2 players hate blizzards. For a lot of people they over-complicate or get in the way of the battle. Many players just camp by the nearest bonfire and have a truce until it's over. Unsupported armour rumbles about and hits mines / AT guns.

Basically, great idea that smashed into reality and faltered. Now some folks love blizzards in CoH2. More power to their arm, but it's a competitive RTS and a lot of folks just check against winter maps in team games.

The camping system, I submit, is similar in this game. A mechanism to stop excessive resting? Sure. But this feels onerous.  Not fun. Punishing, even. It should be on a sliding scale of the number of rests you are allowed, and where, from punishing to E-Z mode.

It's a single-player game, people. It just doesn't matter.

Personally, I'd like three rest periods on hard with some zones likely to incur wandering monsters if you rest there. That's just me. Some people will prefer punishing iron man style zero rest, some rest on demand. That's all cool. It's a single player game.

People need to relax about how other people interact with this game. It's their business, not yours.

• Like 2

sonsofgygax.JPG

My personal annoyance in PoE is that if you pass an enemy (i.e. you want your party member to run to the other side) your PC always engages the target when he nears the enemy instead of moving where you ordered him too. Caused a lot of pain in the final boss battle.

If I'm not mistaken in the option menu there's an option that allows characters to pass by even if the enemy triggers meele engagement.

The characters will still be subjected to a free hit from the enemy because they are trying to break the engagement situation.

• Like 1

I only get 2 rests on hard mode, which is probably 1 more than I need. I really only rest in cases of emergency when I really screw up. In fact I would be totally fine if they removed camping supplies altogether, and in all the places where they put a campsite in a box for you to find, instead just put a campsite on the ground for you to click on to rest.

Get better at combat or stop fighting things that are beyond your party's capability and you won't have to rest much.

In fact I would be totally fine if they removed camping supplies altogether, and in all the places where they put a campsite in a box for you to find, instead just put a campsite on the ground for you to click on to rest.

My older brother & I were just now talking about the game, & I mentioned that to him as something I would have liked more than the current camping system.

Haven't you heard?
It's a battle of words!
the poster bearer cried.

If I'm not mistaken in the option menu there's an option that allows characters to pass by even if the enemy triggers meele engagement.

The characters will still be subjected to a free hit from the enemy because they are trying to break the engagement situation.

Yeah, I would understand it if the enemy would attack the PC(wouldn't bother me that much in that case since it's justified) but it also happens when the enemy is focusing on another PC. So it's not that he's getting engaged by the enemy, it's that he engages the enemy because he's within 1 meter of it.

Because characters/creatures have more than 1 melee engagement slot.

And I suppose the range depends on the weapon/creature.

Ah that's why. Thanks. Didn't really understand the melee engagement slot fully untill now.

Try this. When someone is surrounded in melee combat (be it one of your characters or an enemy), pause.

Then pass your cursor over them. The strings you'll see going out of their circle represent the "engagement slot" being used to "engage" someone.

Up until now I've never seen seen anyone with more than 3 engagement at the same time.

But I stopped at the end of chapter one, to wait for bugs to be fixed.