So I dunno if this happens with all pets available in the game, or just cute fluffy ones, but I've seen a few people complaining that companions don't seem to have that much going on and just wanted to share my cuteness overload for the day.... 

I bought a beagle pet from Ondra's Gift yesterday to be my fuzzy dungeon crawling companion, and Edér and is absolutely enamoured with it. I've had 2 comments in the last hour regarding my new dog friend and my god, it's adorable.

Anyone else had him comment on other pets? Or is it purely a beagle experience?

I think my companions are just really shy. Just arriving at Defiance Bay and I can count on one hand the number of times each party member has interjected a conversation or wanted to speak with me. I'm using Eder, Aloth and Kana. So far Kana has been the chattiest and I've had him the shortest amount of time (he talks a fair bit at the stronghold).

I haven't seen Eder commenting on my white wurm, but his banters with Sagani were fairly funny. He seems to be into animals.

Not really related to the animal-thing but IMO the companions have a lot going on between them. The Eder-Aloth banters remind me a lot of Alistair-Morrigan stuff from DA:O. And that's a good thing. Kana has commented on many situations this far, which is always welcome. Durance has been very quiet the whole game, but I guess it's fitting for the character. I personally do not like his personality, I can't imagine getting along with a guy like him IRL.

I haven't seen Eder commenting on my white wurm, but his banters with Sagani were fairly funny. He seems to be into animals.

Not really related to the animal-thing but IMO the companions have a lot going on between them. The Eder-Aloth banters remind me a lot of Alistair-Morrigan stuff from DA:O. And that's a good thing. Kana has commented on many situations this far, which is always welcome. Durance has been very quiet the whole game, but I guess it's fitting for the character. I personally do not like his personality, I can't imagine getting along with a guy like him IRL.

Personally would stay away from him as far as possible, but he's actually pretty awesome as a character. His whole conflict is interesting and main character's relationship with him is pretty dynamic and fun. You can call him a lot on his bull**** and his fuming is pricelss to watch.

So far I've only seen Eder's banter about the fox, but I loved how he knew he shouldn't pet the fox, but it was so fluffy that he just had to.  Awwww!

I've also enjoyed the party banter where Aloth says "At least we're out of that mudhole, Gilded Vale," and Eder says, "I grew up in that mudhole," and Aloth says, "Quaint.  I meant to say that it was 'quaint,'" and Eder says, "You were right the first time."

Edér is one of my favorite characters, but I have to say, Obsidian did a really wonderful job with all of them. Even the least likable character in my opinion, Durance, is actually very interesting to have around, just because of how well he is presented. Too many companies tend to equate dislike with off-putting and uninteresting. When you manage to keep around a companion you don't like at all just because of how awesome a character he is, you've done something right. 

Edér also loves the cat companion, and keeps making comments about how he's going to pet it eventually. It's adorable. I haven't tried any of the other pets, because I haven't found them yet. 

Personally would stay away from him as far as possible, but he's actually pretty awesome as a character. His whole conflict is interesting and main character's relationship with him is pretty dynamic and fun. You can call him a lot on his bull**** and his fuming is pricelss to watch.

I've been trying to be semi-nice to him but he doesn't seem to like my actions (Is there really any way to actually please that guy?). I think he's great and well-written character but I also hate him. I just can't dump him just yet because they built that mystery around him from the start, and I want to see the rest of it. I've just recently stopped giving a **** about my companions opinions and it's been pretty great.

I've been trying to be semi-nice to him but he doesn't seem to like my actions (Is there really any way to actually please that guy?). I think he's great and well-written character but I also hate him. I just can't dump him just yet because they built that mystery around him from the start, and I want to see the rest of it. I've just recently stopped giving a **** about my companions opinions and it's been pretty great.

Don't be nice to him! He doesn't deserve it and doesn't want you to be nice to him either. Be mean and poke holes in his arguments. Make him sweat and question his life choices. That is the only way interactions with him are bearable anyway.

Eder commented on Sagani's fox, some barbarian's tiger(whatever they called them) and on my pet Black Cat. His animal comments are really great.

On the topic of Durance, I think I liked him the most out of all companions. Him being very closely tied into the overarching story also helped. You just can't beat an insane angry old man who calls everybody a whore and gives 0 ****s about anything after all he's been through.

In general, I found companions to be really well designed, written and acted. The only one I though was annoying and perhaps lacking - was that weird druid.

Eder commented on Sagani's fox, some barbarian's tiger(whatever they called them) and on my pet Black Cat. His animal comments are really great.

On the topic of Durance, I think I liked him the most out of all companions. Him being very closely tied into the overarching story also helped. You just can't beat an insane angry old man who calls everybody a whore and gives 0 ****s about anything after all he's been through.

In general, I found companions to be really well designed, written and acted. The only one I though was annoying and perhaps lacking - was that weird druid.

Are you kidding me? He had been the most fun of them all!

Especially when you quest with him in Northweald and do Sagani's quest he was great. And in main quest where you ask for God's help he had the best comments. Hell, even during very last main quest he was pretty cool. 

Are you kidding me? He had been the most fun of them all!

Especially when you quest with him in Northweald and do Sagani's quest he was great. And in main quest where you ask for God's help he had the best comments. Hell, even during very last main quest he was pretty cool. 

Hated his guts from the moment he appeared. Maybe because he had that crazy cannibal vibe to him, maybe cause he was Orlan(can't stand anything even remotely hobbit/gnome-like in RPGs, sort of how MCA is with elves). He just seemed creepy as hell to the point of being revolting and after I managed to find another companion to fill that space I delegated him to being a Stronghold guard and never even considered taking him along again.

Apparently it's an either or type situation, where liking Durance and the Druid(can't even remember his name) are mutually exclusive.

Eder owns because he's the straight man human male fighter but he's actually interesting, has a sense of humour and has little quirks like wanting to pet every animal he sees. Compare him to someone like Carth who is the anthropic personification of trust issues or Kaidan, the neurotic biotic.

• Like 1

Any idea why my guys are so silent? The only thing I've really heard out of my crew (consisting of Eder, Aloth, Durance and Kana) are the dialogues you get when you meet them, the dialogues after acquiring the Stronghold, and Aloth muttering to himself in different voices.

Played 24 hours and no comment from Eder about any of my pets...

EDIT: Is it because I rarely rest so I'm missing some conversation triggers? I had one from Eder after waking up one time.

Edited by Rapscallion

Any idea why my guys are so silent? The only thing I've really heard out of my crew (consisting of Eder, Aloth, Durance and Kana) are the dialogues you get when you meet them, the dialogues after acquiring the Stronghold, and Aloth muttering to himself in different voices.

Played 24 hours and no comment from Eder about any of my pets...

EDIT: Is it because I rarely rest so I'm missing some conversation triggers? I had one from Eder after waking up one time.

There is a lot of banter in Defiance Bay. Also, resting often triggers dialogues with various companions, yes.

Often enough companion talk comes in surges. First no one talks to me in 10 hours, then everyone wants to discuss the latest events. Happens.