Playing with reputation visible

So Ive just turned on reputations and I have mixed feelings. In terms of roleplay its a bit of a trade off, it lets you sculpt your reputation as you desire and so in that way its great for guiding your choices, but on the other hand it makes conversations feel slightly less organic. Im thinking i might leave it on until i have the desired personality (benevolent, stoic) and then turn it off again. How do other people play? Also how does your personality effect gameplay, if i am benevolent will people react differently to me than if i was aggressive?

I turned the dispositions off and felt better for it. Dialogue feels a lot more natural.

You don't have to take the same options all the time and if your character is more clever/diplomatic/rational then you will anyway take the necessary options. I wanted to make a clever/deceptive character and in time my reputation really became this. 

I had similar mixed feelings. I'm playing with it off now and just went through dialogue naturally and now I seem to have 1 or 2 reputation points in everything (so a pretty vague personality...)

The thing about role-playing in a game like this is... you're going to be helping a whole bunch of people with their problems anyway (how else will you get quests?), so I always feel like I'm playing a kind, benevolent character. If you want to play a character with more negative traits, I feel you need to work at it more. 

Depending on who you are talking you, yes, they might react differently. I haven't seen any major differences so far but occasionally people refer to it. 

I had similar mixed feelings. I'm playing with it off now and just went through dialogue naturally and now I seem to have 1 or 2 reputation points in everything (so a pretty vague personality...)

The thing about role-playing in a game like this is... you're going to be helping a whole bunch of people with their problems anyway (how else will you get quests?), so I always feel like I'm playing a kind, benevolent character. If you want to play a character with more negative traits, I feel you need to work at it more. 

Depending on who you are talking you, yes, they might react differently. I haven't seen any major differences so far but occasionally people refer to it. 

At the beginning your disposition will be all over the place. I think by Defiance Bay, though, I had more clear-cut reputation.

At the beginning your disposition will be all over the place. I think by Defiance Bay, though, I had more clear-cut reputation.

In my other play throughs I had no strong personality even deep into the game (ive already got more than my moneys worth out of this game (i keep restarting XD)) which is why i decided to turn it on. I want to walk into a room and people be like daaaaam thats one cold hard stoic mother****er.

Thats why my guy travels alone, with his black dog :)

Edited by Ceranai
  • Like 1

With a Paladin/Priest main character it is important to maintain a certain reputation in order to increase the power of a core class ability, so having personality descriptors on is key. In many cases the intended personality of a given dialogue choice is clear, but frequently it's not. Maybe I think a dialogue choice is Diplomatic, but the devs set it as Benevolent. Opportunity missed for my character if I accidentally select Benevolent.

But I also wish you could separate displaying personality tone in conversations from displaying the factional reputation consequences of dialogue choices. I want to know if the devs consider a line to be Passionate versus Benevolent, but not necessarily the exact ramifications of each choice. That's a little too metagamey.

Exoduss, on 14 Apr 2015 - 11:11 AM, said: 

also secret about hardmode with 6 man party is :  its a faceroll most of the fights you will Auto Attack mobs while lighting your spliff

Generally I find I can tell the tone of the options anyway. Although passionate should probably be renamed 'histrionic' and rational to 'robotic' and clever to 'snarky SOB.'

Love it. Ive played through a couple of times up to act 2 before restarting so i really skim dialogue now, as im a completionist and so have done all the side quests in every area up to defiance bay and ive done most of the defiance bay ones (ive allied with both dozens and the knights). So my reasoning is that if im skimming the options anyway it makes it faster and more in line with my character if i just click whatever is in line with my character (stoic, honest, benevolent).