How is enchanting skill raised?

The game is not making this clear to me, and I can't find its explanation in the crafting / enchanting section of the game manual, either, which is a big flaw.

The anvil symbol in the armour crafting / enchanting window convey's player crafting / enchanting skill level. Mine shows a level of 2. I want to enchant a level 4 enhancement. How do I gain level in this outlier anvil skill?

1.  The level of things you're able to craft (and the enchants you are able to perform) is determined by your character level.

They proposed a much more robust crafting system and people rioted on the forums against crafting systems at the time, so we got this instead. 

2.  There is some sort of value on items where they can't hold "additional" enchants - so you basically can't stack more stuff on.  But as a general rule, you can upgrade the quality of the item at will (fine/superb etc) so long as you have the mats, however other enchants you're stuck with.  For example +1 might to something, you won't later be able to put additional stats on it or remove that +1 might enchant, in so far as I know.   

Edited by Gallenger

There is no enchant skill. The levels listed as prerequisite are character levels.

You can always replace and upgrade enchantments.

For an item, there are several categories of enchantment, like "Quality 0/1", "Attribute 0/1" or what it's called (varies between weapons, armour, and other stuff).

The "0/1" tells you how many enchantments in that category you already have (0) out of how many (1). I don't know whether there are items with more than 1 max enchantment slot per category.

In that category, you can always switch between enchantments, provided you have all necessary materials and levels.

You can enchant a plain sword to have +1 accuracy (for example). If you choose +1 damage, the accuracy enchantment gets swapped for the damage one. The quality enchantments (fine, superior...) usually combine several individual enchantments.

So basically, different categories stack; within one category, you can swap one enchantment for the other and then back again, freely.

This works on top of pre-made enchantments which can't be altered, learned or custom-created.

Aloth's armour, for instance, has "Overseeing" as a pre-made enchantment. You can't put Overseeing on any equipment yourself, but you can enchant Aloth's armour with the usual armour enchantments of Fine, additonal DR, protection against certain damage types, etc.

Edited by Varana
  • Like 1

Therefore I have sailed the seas and come

To the holy city of Byzantium. -W.B. Yeats

Χριστός ἀνέστη!

The one exception... if you've enchanted a weapon with an elemental bonus, then you cannot replace that enchantment with a different elemental bonus. The option is locked out. I think a similar restriction applies to the proofing enchantments. I'm not sure about attribute enhancements, but I think once you've put one in you can't replace it.

1.  The level of things you're able to craft (and the enchants you are able to perform) is determined by your character level.

They proposed a much more robust crafting system and people rioted on the forums against crafting systems at the time, so we got this instead. 

2.  There is some sort of value on items where they can't hold "additional" enchants - so you basically can't stack more stuff on.  But as a general rule, you can upgrade the quality of the item at will (fine/superb etc) so long as you have the mats, however other enchants you're stuck with.  For example +1 might to something, you won't later be able to put additional stats on it or remove that +1 might enchant, in so far as I know.   

people rebelled against durability mechanics. tell me, in what game has that ever been a good idea?

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.