Pillars of Metagaming

If you die, just reload and come back later.

Obsidian are the masters of creating imbalanced games that force the player to cheat and metagame.

Having trouble with the games combat on POTD, Trial of Iron?

- Hurtin bomb droppin MONK - [MONK BUILD] - [CLICK HERE]

- Think Rangers suck? You're wrong - [RANGER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

- Fighter Heavy Tank - [FIGHTER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

Despite what I may post, I'm a huge fan of Pillars of Eternity, it's one of my favorite RPG's.

Anita Sarkeesian keeps Bioware's balls in a jar on her shelf.

You were stuck trying to kill that bear didn't you?

• Like 24

troll.gifseatroll.gificetroll.giftroll.gif

An ex-biophysicist but currently Studying Schwarzschild singularities' black holes' Hawking radiation using LAZORS and hypersonic sound wave models.

My main objective is to use my results to take over the world!

Obsidian are the masters of creating imbalanced games that force the player to cheat and metagame.

Best post since the game was released.

Like with Dragonfall, I despise having to constantly reload to play the game.

I'm finding it hard, then again I'm playing on Hard.

I think the completionist gene is strong in RPGers. I, OTOH, am happy to leave an encounter and come back later. That bloody bear, for starters. And the temple in the village, which drove me nuts.

• Like 4

sonsofgygax.JPG

To be fair there are some sucker-punches there.

Lighthouse in Defiance Bay. Not quite what I expected.

It was no problem at level 8 haha. Damn that pesky reload save feature. 

no problem at level 5 either with the right tactic!

TBH all fights i lost, i eventually won after changing my tactic. isnt that what this game is about 0=)

• Like 3

what_can_cb510.png

You know that there is an ironman-mode that can be combind with every level of difficulty you wanna choose? 

-> no need to complain! 

Not if you wander in solo with a squishy character.

Well...I guess that's fair. I'll say this; I went in on normal with my squishy MC, Eder, and Aloth and it was no problem at all. Not any harder than any random forest encounter, and easier than some (I'm looking at you, Forest Lurker!)

• Like 1

wait are the killer bears that everyone is whining about, the ones in the cave above Gilded Vale

Are you kidding me

Those bears are a piece of cake on hard

Solo, straight out of the caravan? I don't believe you.

Not if you wander in solo with a squishy character.

Well...I guess that's fair. I'll say this; I went in on normal with my squishy MC, Eder, and Aloth and it was no problem at all. Not any harder than any random forest encounter, and easier than some (I'm looking at you, Forest Lurker!)

Oh yeah these 2 that you first meet.... I hate them :p

wait are the killer bears that everyone is whining about, the ones in the cave above Gilded Vale

Are you kidding me

Those bears are a piece of cake on hard

It seams people want to solo them with a lvl 2 wizzard ... And then cry couse they fail .. "games fault"

Edited by Arctic
  • Like 2

So...the ability to save ruins RPG's?

Makes sense. In another news, breathing ruins humanity. More at 11:00.

Hey Katarack, let's be fair, the earliest RPGs did not allow saving, and certainly not, god forbid, reloading saves of dead characters - i.e. those ones running on mainframes back in the 1970s (Moria etc.). That's another genre that's making a bit of a comeback, so maybe the OP assumed Pillars was one? :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roguelike

But yeah, somehow I suspect Iron Man as default would not have been a terribly popular decision.

They could add a "Trial of Steel" mode, in which the game bricks itself when you die.  If you want to play again you have to buy a new copy.

Would that be sufficiently hardcore?

• Like 10

They could add a "Trial of Steel" mode, in which the game bricks itself when you die.  If you want to play again you have to buy a new copy.

Shh, EA might steal this idea. 

• Like 1

Are there any crpgs that allow player to reroll the main character(s) to start from where they fall?  The only one I can remember is Lunatic dawn... 

I know there are Rogue likes who do similar things. I'm sure one of the Disgaea games had a mechanic where you could respec any party member when they died.

I just discovered a pretty cool version of this in Steel Battalion a hard core mech sim. If your mech starts to blow you have to go through the eject/self destruct procedure. If you do your character survives and you can retry the mission. If you don't it deletes your entire profile.

Edited by Bhazor