How do you flee a fight? I just got one shotted by a bear.

I'm going to try POE one more time.

PoE metagaming tip #134 

-Don't fight anything, don't explore and skip as much content as you can until you have a max party, then you can start enjoying the game.

Having trouble with the games combat on POTD, Trial of Iron?

- Hurtin bomb droppin MONK - [MONK BUILD] - [CLICK HERE]

- Think Rangers suck? You're wrong - [RANGER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

- Fighter Heavy Tank - [FIGHTER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

Despite what I may post, I'm a huge fan of Pillars of Eternity, it's one of my favorite RPG's.

Anita Sarkeesian keeps Bioware's balls in a jar on her shelf.

is-this-real-life.jpg

Master troll.

POE Metagaming tip #471 - Trial of Iron means Trial of Alt Tab and check wiki.

Having trouble with the games combat on POTD, Trial of Iron?

- Hurtin bomb droppin MONK - [MONK BUILD] - [CLICK HERE]

- Think Rangers suck? You're wrong - [RANGER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

- Fighter Heavy Tank - [FIGHTER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

Despite what I may post, I'm a huge fan of Pillars of Eternity, it's one of my favorite RPG's.

Anita Sarkeesian keeps Bioware's balls in a jar on her shelf.

Dude has a point indeed. There are situations in PoE that will kill you and which are impossible to predict: 

- Scripted battles that turn out to be too hard 

- Sneaking up on a single enemy who should be an easy target, only to find out that his 5 buddies were lurking around the corner

- The whole endless path of caed nua (especially walking north after climbing down a certain pit)

- The ground floor of the Lighthouse in Ondra's Gift 

- Picking the "wrong" answer in certain conversations

The bear is not the greatest example (given you were warned about how dangerous it is), but even in this situation it would be plausible to escape after disabling or blinding the bear. 

A decent fleeing system would have been nice, especially if it took into account movement speed and/or the general ability to fight in a specific moment. Imagine you find the bear and engage anyway because, as a ranger, you have your own bear after all, so the fight should be manageble, right? Your bear dies after two hits, so you use crippling shot on him (I know rangers don't have access to this skill - it's hypothetical), so the bear is hobbled and you can escape (possibly losing some of your inventory in the process, so you have to come back and get it at some point). 

That would be a much better implementation. Right now it's mostly trial and error with only a few instances where there is enough, if any, information about the upcoming encounter. 

How can you tell when it is the right time to engage two ogres at once if you never tried before? Bear vs. a single lvl 2 hero is pretty obvious, but what about later stages of the game? 

Fact of the matter is, that the current system makes hardcore playthroughs without an intricate knowledge of every single encounter impossible. Instead of blindly defending this already awesome game, we should be open to accept criticism where it's due, so Obsidian can hopefully make it an even better game once the DLC/Addon/Patch is out. 

There is no need to talk down people who have absolute valid points about how the game could be improved. Actually, this is quite detrimental to the quality of future content.  It's a really good game right now, but it can become so much better with the right tweaks.

Edited by Molcho
  • Like 6

You guys need to stop feeding the troll. I mean really now, he's posting in ridiculous font sizes, refuses to listen to anything, makes pronouncements from on high, and slips in a whole bunch of ... to make his posts super incredibly long and annoying to read.

About the only thing he's missing is one of the classic flamewar questions like whether the Enterprise could beat a Star Destroyer.

Ignore him, and he'll go away.

lol if you played ironman mode without knowing how to play the game its not the game fault if you die. 

How many times have i seen people criing couse they went unconditional in diablo and they die ...

Edited by Arctic

PoE metagaming tip #134 

-Don't fight anything, don't explore and skip as much content as you can until you have a max party, then you can start enjoying the game.

Im soloing the game and like me many people you just suck and you have no idea of what a real game is.

Have a nice one

At first I wasn't convinced by your argument, but thanks to the amount of periods you used, I saw the wisdom of your post and realized how foolish I've been all along for thinking differently. Thanks.

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

Or you just... solo it...

PoE metagaming tip #134 

Dude has a point indeed. There are situations in PoE that will kill you and which are impossible to predict: 

- Sneaking up on a single enemy who should be an easy target, only to find out that his 5 buddies were lurking around the corner

- The whole endless path of caed nua (especially walking north after climbing down a certain pit)

The bear is not the greatest example (given you were warned about how dangerous it is), but even in this situation it would be plausible to escape after disabling or blinding the bear. 

A decent fleeing system would have been nice, especially if it took into account movement speed and/or the general ability to fight in a specific moment. Imagine you find the bear and engage anyway because, as a ranger, you have your own bear after all, so the fight should be manageble, right? Your bear dies after two hits, so you use crippling shot on him (I know rangers don't have access to this skill - it's hypothetical), so the bear is hobbled and you can escape (possibly losing some of your inventory in the process, so you have to come back and get it at some point). 

That would be a much better implementation. Right now it's mostly trial and error with only a few instances where there is enough, if any, information about the upcoming encounter. 

How can you tell when it is the right time to engage two ogres at once if you never tried before? Bear vs. a single lvl 2 hero is pretty obvious, but what about later stages of the game? 

Fact of the matter is, that the current system makes hardcore playthroughs without an intricate knowledge of every single encounter impossible. Instead of blindly defending this already awesome game, we should be open to accept criticism where it's due, so Obsidian can hopefully make it an even better game once the DLC/Addon/Patch is out. 

There is no need to talk down people who have absolute valid points about how the game could be improved. Actually, this is quite detrimental to the quality of future content.  It's a really good game right now, but it can become so much better with the right tweaks.

So reasonable... So well written... no personal attacks in sight... you don't belong here. 

• Like 3

Trial of Iron should only be once you know the game well enough to not chump on bears. *shrug*

Wat?

If you don't have the patience to restart the whole game every time you die, Trial of Iron might not be for you.

If you don't want the game to be hard enough that playing Trial of Iron is in any way risky, then CRPGs might not be for you.

I agree with OP regardless of how loud his large font posting seems to be.

And I pretty much agree with all of Molcho's post.

You got 2 most obscene powerful spells in the game - "Save" and "Load", wtf else you want...

Some refer to this as save scumming (trial/error save-loading in-place of an actual built in to the game mob-con and fleeing system)

This also wouldn't solve ironman mode since death results in deleted saves...

Edited by McPartyson

I only play no death, dead is dead aka trial of iron.

1. some kind of subtle way to know if a fight is too hard, keyword SUBTLE.

2. a way to disengage a battle with a penalty, in my case the penalty would of been a dead bear companion, my ranger should've felt like she lost her best friend, (it's called roleplaying)

3. add a basic challenge scale

Obsidian fails again.  I don't know why I even bother trying their games. They have no clue what roleplaying is about and they have no clue how to balance a game. They will never figure it out.

Dear luzarius ,

lets give you a tip from a old man who played this games 17 years ago... there never was somethin which you describe, save often and if you want to play ironmode try first to master the game mechanic before you try to master ironmode sametime you try to master game rules... Play the game a few hours and learn how the game works, how the rules fit your playstile and then go ironmode, or if you like to go ironmode without any experience then expect the failure. Because Failure is part of the game.

Save often and try, thats how the game 17 years ago works... you are forced to master the game by playing it... if you acchieve ironmode behind the bear with main character without dying you are better then iam at the moment :-) so take care and i wish you more patience with the game. Have fun!

• Like 2

But I also dont really mind "save scumming".

:banghead:

Hey, I only recently found out there was even a term for it! I thought thats just how games work - if its too hard, you die and reload and come up with a better strategy. If you still cant figure it out, come back later. I mean trying to deny metagaming is kinda pointless for me - after the first fight you know exactly what your up against, regardless of whether its your first game, second game, first trial of iron, or second trial of iron, etc. Eventually, you're gonna know whats behind that door, so why bother trying to deny it? I just take pleasure in knowing i beat the challenge and got through it. But I'm also not too big on role-playing or "staying in character".  :no: Although its something I've been trying to work on because I think the concept behind it is a cool one  :no: