How do you flee a fight? I just got one shotted by a bear.

I just started playing this game. I entered a cave with a bear.  I figured I'd send in my pet bear first, if it died I would flee.   As I suspected my companion bear died in one hit.  So I ran towards the cave exit, but I couldnt' flee, the game wouldn't let me. Then the bear killed me in one shot.   This reminded me of dragon age origins mechanics, but DAO had a challenge scale.

The question is how can I gauge a fight before hand?  Is it possible to disengage from a losing battle?  Do I need some kind of skill to see if an enemy is too hard?

Does this mean I have to keep leaving areas and coming back later?  That's annoying and is the main reason I stopped playing DOS, I don't want to have a thousand quests backed up, just because I have to keep coming back later, come back later, come back later.... Oh I have to come back later?

YEA MAN JUST GO BACK LATER....

DUDE, IT"S AN OLD SCHOOL RPG, YOU HAVE TO LEAVE AND COME BACK LATER...

Pst, just come back later.....

ORLY?

YA REALLY.

• Like 1

Having trouble with the games combat on POTD, Trial of Iron?

- Hurtin bomb droppin MONK - [MONK BUILD] - [CLICK HERE]

- Think Rangers suck? You're wrong - [RANGER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

- Fighter Heavy Tank - [FIGHTER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

Despite what I may post, I'm a huge fan of Pillars of Eternity, it's one of my favorite RPG's.

Anita Sarkeesian keeps Bioware's balls in a jar on her shelf.

You are playing an old school RPG. You got into a fight you could not win. You load. The game autosaves for you. After you realise you cannot win ... you do walk away and come back later. If this is going to make you stop playing the game then ... bye I guess.

That's why there are auto-saves. :p

You can just come back with your full party of level 1s and 2s and own the bear. 

Unless you were being super sarcastic, at which point, "trollololol"

I only play no death, dead is dead aka trial of iron.

Dying and reloading is stupid, there should be the following:

1. some kind of subtle way to know if a fight is too hard, keyword SUBTLE.

2. a way to disengage a battle with a penalty, in my case the penalty would of been a dead bear companion, my ranger should've felt like she lost her best friend, (it's called roleplaying)

3. add a basic challenge scale

I would of gladly used all my health potions and any food, anything I could muster had I not died in one cheap single blow.

You are playing an old school RPG. You got into a fight you could not win. You load. The game autosaves for you. After you realise you cannot win ... you do walk away and come back later. If this is going to make you stop playing the game then ... bye I guess.

I have a bear companion.  Judging from how my own bear fights, I'd guess the bear in the cave was twice as strong and hit twice as hard, but that's not the case.

Obsidian fails again.  I don't know why I even bother trying their games. They have no clue what roleplaying is about and they have no clue how to balance a game. They will never figure it out.

Edited by luzarius
  • Like 1

- Think Rangers suck? You're wrong - [RANGER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

Despite what I may post, I'm a huge fan of Pillars of Eternity, it's one of my favorite RPG's.

That's why there are auto-saves. :p

You can just come back with your full party of level 1s and 2s and own the bear. 

Unless you were being super sarcastic, at which point, "trollololol"

I only play no death, dead is dead aka trial of iron.

Dying and reloading is stupid, there should be the following:

1. some kind of subtle way to know if a fight is too hard, keyword SUBTLE.

2. a way to disengage a battle with a penalty, in my case the penalty would of been a dead bear companion, my ranger should've felt like she lost her best friend, (it's called roleplaying)

3. add a basic challenge scale

I would of gladly used all my health potions and any food, anything I could muster had I not died in one cheap single blow.

So you weren't being sarcastic. 

Trial of Iron should only be once you know the game well enough to not chump on bears. *shrug*

I'm sorry for your loss.

• Like 1

Trial of Iron should only be once you know the game well enough to not chump on bears. *shrug*

Are you being serious? Trial of Iron and no death rulesets should always be played blind, that is where the fun is, not metagaming your way through every fight like a noob.

Seems to me this game is just meta gaming, die, meta game, reload, die meta game, reload, visit a wiki, cheat, die, reload meta game.

Edited by luzarius
  • Like 2

The guy does have a point.

The game basically forces you to play atleast 1 time without ironman to know the game almost by heart. Otherwise it's basically impossible to play with ironman, unless you're willing to restart the game 200 times.

So I guess the option would be to add some kind of "cue", where when you over your mouse on a enemy it says "difficulty: easy, normal or hard". Or you can see the level of the enemies like D:OS.

Especially since there is no way you can outrun enemies, unless you're a rogue.

• Like 3

Are you being serious? Trial of Iron and no death rulesets should always be played blind, that is where the fun is, not metagaming your way through every fight like a noob.

Are you?  

If you want to play Ironman, you're going to want to load up on 'metagame' knowledge or play the game on easier difficulties to "learn" everything on your own.  

There's even a NPC on the same map as the bear cave entrance, that tells you his friend got murdered by the bear and you'd be insane to go to the cave alone. 

Edited by Fimconte
  • Like 2

Why can't you turn on PotD, IM and EM on your first run and crash things to pieces?!11

Are you serious? Do you expect that on your first run on some expert settings in crpg you will be guided?

Those settings there for ppl who want challenge and knows game. There was camp location and temple where you was told how game works. After that use that. Or did you expect that game will tell you "That bear is gonna kill ya, run!". 

I remember bears in GBs. Those were hiting hard in melee. 1-2 hits - dead.

On my first run i went Hard Mode, IM and EM. Then supidly died from wolfs somewhere at lvl 4. That was my mistake that i didn't pay attention.

Also i realised that EM is totaly not for first walkthrough.

So now i am playing on PotD only to learn game and what to expect in future when i ll be playing with IM and EM on.

• Like 1

Obsidian fails again. I don't know why I even bother trying their games. They have no clue what roleplaying is about and they have no clue how to balance a game. They will never figure it out.

And all this because you died to a bear. Methinks we will all fondly remember this bear years from now, telling fledgling RPG players how some games didn't care you were new, lost and confused when they threw you into the harsh world. ;)
  • Like 5

Oh btw... There IS A VERY SUBTLE WAY THE GAME WARNS YOU ABOUT THAT BEAR... You see there is this NPC called Nonton that is packing up tent some way south of that bear cave and he DOES TELL YOU TO AVOID iIT since that bear just ate his friend...

You see I play a lot of PnP RPGs, and usually when someone warns you about something and tells you it's "dangerous" you normally don't go straight to that place... You do a bit of research first, ask around see if a few ppl might be willing ot help etc... Because no sane GM would allow you to "save" and "load", and in my case if my players do something extremely stupid, after they have been warned, I normally don't allow them to create new characters in a while... Since they pissed me off...

Since you have been "roleplaying" you decided that attacking a bear inside a cave (where that bear allready killed one person) would be the best way to "check" if you can beat him... Ehm... in real life that would be a prize candidate for a Darwin Award... In a cRPG when playing on IM that is just stupid. You could have moved on, hurried to Gilded Vale (btw if you were "roleplaying" then getting to Gilded Vale should have been your top priority, since your character is "sick or going insane", you see dead ppl for cryin outloud!!!), found out about your "condition", and recruited 2 extra companions along the way... Then when you were sure you are not dead or dying, you could go back to that cave and check it out with a heavily armored warrior at your side and a dude that shoots lightning from his fingers... You know strength in numbers and all that, better safe than sorry...

Oh and btw, I don't think there is a person on this planet that could run away from an enraged bear inside his cave... Mby Husein Bolt could...

• Like 6

"We must all fear evil men. But there is a kind of evil we must fear most and that is the indifference of good men!"

On a side note, playing on hard difficulty + IM is doable on a first run. The only thing you need to do is know how the game system works. If you ever tried playing a HC character in any Diablo game you would know that massive overtanking is preferable to faster kill speed. So basically if you want your first playthrough to be IM + Hard (PoTD is not intended for that, as it is the only game mode where monsters actually cheat for stats and attributes), you can do it, but make sure you create a character with high survivability and higher some help, because if your main char dies it's GG.

Historically during the middle ages, bears and wolves vere a serious menace for ordinary town folk. In case where a bear wandered too close to a settlement and made his lair there, ppl would usually petition their lord for help in dealing with the beast. A large hunting party would be gathered consisting of experienced warriors and hunters in order to hunt down the beast, as bears were among few animals that could singlehandledly take down a heavily armed warrior wearing full mail armor.

Therefore I like the fact that I also got "one shotted" by that bear ;) Made me remember that THAT IS ACTUALLY A HUGE BROWN BEAR!!!

Edited by Smorensky

"We must all fear evil men. But there is a kind of evil we must fear most and that is the indifference of good men!"

Seems to me this game is just meta gaming, die, meta game, reload, die meta game, reload, visit a wiki, cheat, die, reload meta game.

The gme warns you not to go there yet you go and die and then blame the devs.

People is so used to auto level that its disgusting. They even consider that no auto levels is a mistake from the devs.... I really pitty you because you cant enjoy decent games that dont thread gamers like idiots.

Did I mention that I was a RANGER with my own BEAR companion?

I guess I should've assumed my character knows nothing about survival in the wild against bears.

• Like 1

Did I mention that I was a RANGER with my own BEAR companion?

I guess I should've assumed my character knows nothing about survival in the wild against bears.

Ok its obvious you dont get rpgs, they arent walking simulators, despite some are like that, they follow a basic of Challenge and Reward. The higher the Challenge the most satisfying is the reward. If you cant take the Challenge expecting a reward you shouldnt play easy as that. You may try with other easier games that dont get you so frustrated and mad

In my humble opinion there should be giant neon signs next to every area that's even slightly more dangerous, because nothing should ever surprise me and I should have full foreknowledge about everything that is going to happen in the game. In fact, the whole ending of the game should be shown right at the start so I don't have a panic attack over the plot twists and pathos. 

• Like 5

In my humble opinion there should be giant neon signs next to every area that's even slightly more dangerous, because nothing should ever surprise me and I should have full foreknowledge about everything that is going to happen in the game. In fact, the whole ending of the game should be shown right at the start so I don't have a panic attack over the plot twists and pathos. 

yeah the game should be shipped with a detailed walkthrough full of spoilers!

who wants an adventure anyway!

Well here is my 2 cents on how one should "roleplay" a ranger:

A lone and battered ranger finally finds his way to the otiskirts of Gilded Vale. He is confused and exausted from a long trip and feels his muscles giving up. To tired to carry on he decides to set up camp. It is a dangerous risk and he knows it. He is still a stranger in these lands and if the last few days have thought him anything it is that all his years of hunting and living of the land ammount to nothing in this strange place he ended up in, a place he hoped he could call home when this journey started... He brushes those thoughts aside and focuses on the job at hand, it will be dark soon and he must set up camp before nightfall. Strugling with his almost numb limbs he manages to finish a make shift shelter for the night. He can only hope that fire will keep wild beasts at bay, as for the other dangers, like those fanatic savages they encountered on the road, he can only pray they don't find him before dawn... As he sits down to eat what is left of his traveling supplies the bushes at the very edge of the campfire begin to move. He hears it too late and is too tired to move swiftly. He barely manages to reach his bow by the time a hulking shadow looms over him from the darkness, two eyes glowing bright yellow in the fire's dim light. He is only a second away from drawing his bow with what little strength he has left, when his numb senses finally pick up a familiar scent. He breathes a sigh of relief as a familiar shape slowly walks towards him. It is a magnificent brown bear, his companion, his guardian, his firend, his everything in this god forsaken land.

"I, I thought I lost you old friend..." a whisper escapes from his dry lips and a small tear rolls down his cheek.

The two of them have been inseparable ever since he found him 16 years ago. He was still a boy back then, when he stumbled uppon a lone bear cub at the edge of a forest near his home village. Abandoned by his mother, the cub wouldn't survive long on it's own, so he took it uppon him self to nourish it back to health. The beast never forgot this kindness and returned it with firce loylaty. Two of them made an excellent team and went trough so many adventures together that imagining one without the other seemed impossible. The moment he woke up after that storm, sorounded by lifless bodies of his companions and realized his friend was nowhere in sight, he feard the worst... But now, now everything was allright, he thoguht to him self, there was nothing two of them couldn't handle.

"Watch over me tonight pal, I don't think I can keep my eye...", without finishing that thought he finally fell asleep.

But even in dreams he was still haunted by the memories... A savage attack on the caravan, the dying words of the Glanfathan leader, the soul reaping storm the locals call Bîaŵac and the mysterious Engwitan ruins... The ruins surounded on all sides by mysterious living stones called Adra, the ruins Glanfathan tribes swore to protect untill their dying breath, the ruines where he withnessed a ritual, the ruins where he saw that man... A man he knew, a man who knew the answer... The dream continued to drag him further and further into a whirpool of memories and fiction...

The bear quietly stood watch over his sleeping master, while all around them Adra faintly glimmered under moon's fading light.

The Ranger woke up at dawn, the nightmare still fresh in his mind. He expected to see a malweolent spirit, or a demon or another lost soul, but instead he felt a familiar warmth at his side.

"Mornin pal!", he muttered trough a long yawn to the tired animal at his side. "You get some rest while I go catch us a breakfast."

They had fish and eggs for breakfast, his furry friend especially liked salmon, a kings meal if they ever had one since they arrived to Dyrwood. The ranger could still see them, it wasn't a dream after all, he thought to himself. Shapes moved just on the edge of his vision, but as soon as he turned to face them they were gonne. And the worst part was he could hear them. All around him voices whispered, too low to understand, but there never the less. He felt like he was loosing his mind and even caught himself stairing at his own reflection in a small puddle of water, unable to recognize his own face.

"That's it I guess. I am offically crazy now." he whispered to him self and then caught a worried look from his companion. "I'm kidding buddy, don't worry. C'mon let's get out of here and find some amswers!"

They moved quietly through the woods, two shadows gliding over the grass without making a sound. One could never tell by looking at his furry friend, but despite their size bears could move with amazing grace and speed. Shortly they arrived near the cave Nonton mentioned and were immediately overtaken by the smell of mold and stale blood comming from the entrance. Fortunately they were down wind from the cave, otherwise the animal could have smelled them both a mile away. The ranger took a few small steps towards the entrance when he heard a low growl comming from his friend. He turned around and noticed his companion crouched with his head almost entirely to the ground, teeth uncovered and hairs on his back standing on edge. There was somethign sinister comming out of that cave, something the ranger couldn't explain. Maybe it was just his mind playing tricks on him again, but this time his companion could feel it too, and that got him worried.

"What do you think buddy? Should we check it out?" The ranger said with a hushed, slightly trembling voice.

The bear responded only by further lowering his head and exposing his fangs, low growl still comming from his mouth.

"Then you can feel it too I guess. Good thing I'm not the only one!", with those words both of them slowly backed away, moving quietly, down wind, from the dark entrance.

"Ok, let's get to Gilded Vale, it's about high time we found someone with answers! And once we find them, we're going back to hunt us that monster!"

Instead of:

I just started playing this game. I entered a cave with a bear.  I figured I'd send in my pet bear first, if it died I would flee.

Edited by Smorensky
  • Like 4

Imo it's a fair point that they should allow some way to exit a map if you had not acted totally stupid (sending a pet beforehand or maybe casting a magic...if you send your mighty level one barberian against a dragon then you deserve to die:) ) with some repercussions. Maybe it locks the map for a time or maybe it automatically heal whatever was in that area so that people don't just go in hit a few time - go out heal and repeat.

And the NPC that you meet (at the end of the map mind you....far away and after the cave) was honestly....not very good hint that I really shouldn't fight the bear. At least not for every character. Some more cowardly or wise or maybe experienced might choose not to, but other will be willing to try their luck. And why not? Upon meeting the ''hunter'' (I thought it was a merchant at first) my character didn't go in her head ''Óoh that is an experienced hunter!''....she believed that this was either some unfortunate tragedy or the man murdered his ''friend'' for some reason...

...so it is quite strange that they chose not to let you escape a fight in some way - especially having such mode as ''Trial of Iron''....and metagaming feels to me like the wrong solution for such kind of games:)

• Like 1

For your average player who wanders off to explore every nook and cranny?
It is completely possible to wander into that bear cave before talking to the NPC further south.
Especially if you have a general 'go left' mentality from old school dungeon delving.

The guy is not asking for anything unreasonable.
It would be really nice to leave the map if you are obviously faster than your foes.

First, I suggest sneaking when exploring new areas.  Certainly when not in outdoor maps anyway.  Then when you see the bear you have the option of leaving before combat begins rather than trying to run away once it's kicking your ass.  As for getting out of combat in general, it depends on the class.  You either need to use some ability to disengage safely (Fighter has this, for example), or to stun/confuse/whatever the enemy so you can get away.

Well here is my 2 cents on how one should "roleplay" a ranger:

A lone and battered ranger finally finds his way to the otiskirts of Gilded Vale. He is confused and exausted from a long trip and feels his muscles giving up. To tired to carry on he decides to set up camp. It is a dangerous risk and he knows it. He is still a stranger in these lands and if the last few days have thought him anything it is that all his years of hunting and living of the land ammount to nothing in this strange place he ended up in, a place he hoped he could call home when this journey started... He brushes those thoughts aside and focuses on the job at hand, it will be dark soon and he must set up camp before nightfall. Strugling with his almost numb limbs he manages to finish a make shift shelter for the night. He can only hope that fire will keep wild beasts at bay, as for the other dangers, like those fanatic savages they encountered on the road, he can only pray they don't find him before dawn... As he sits down to eat what is left of his traveling supplies the bushes at the very edge of the campfire begin to move. He hears it too late and is too tired to move swiftly. He barely manages to reach his bow by the time a hulking shadow looms over him from the darkness, two eyes glowing bright yellow in the fire's dim light. He is only a second away from drawing his bow with what little strength he has left, when his numb senses finally pick up a familiar scent. He breathes a sigh of relief as a familiar shape slowly walks towards him. It is a magnificent brown bear, his companion, his guardian, his firend, his everything in this god forsaken land.

"I, I thought I lost you old friend..." a whisper escapes from his dry lips and a small tear rolls down his cheek.

The two of them have been inseparable ever since he found him 16 years ago. He was still a boy back then, when he stumbled uppon a lone bear cub at the edge of a forest near his home village. Abandoned by his mother, the cub wouldn't survive long on it's own, so he took it uppon him self to nourish it back to health. The beast never forgot this kindness and returned it with firce loylaty. Two of them made an excellent team and went trough so many adventures together that imagining one without the other seemed impossible. The moment he woke up after that storm, sorounded by lifless bodies of his companions and realized his friend was nowhere in sight, he feard the worst... But now, now everything was allright, he thoguht to him self, there was nothing two of them couldn't handle.

"Watch over me tonight pal, I don't think I can keep my eye...", without finishing that thought he finally fell asleep.

But even in dreams he was still haunted by the memories... A savage attack on the caravan, the dying words of the Glanfathan leader, the soul reaping storm the locals call Bîaŵac and the mysterious Engwitan ruins... The ruins surounded on all sides by mysterious living stones called Adra, the ruins Glanfathan tribes swore to protect untill their dying breath, the ruines where he withnessed a ritual, the ruins where he saw that man... A man he knew, a man who knew the answer... The dream continued to drag him further and further into a whirpool of memories and fiction...

The bear quietly stood watch over his sleeping master, while all around them Adra faintly glimmered under moon's fading light.

The Ranger woke up at dawn, the nightmare still fresh in his mind. He expected to see a malweolent spirit, or a demon or another lost soul, but instead he felt a familiar warmth at his side.

"Mornin pal!", he muttered trough a long yawn to the tired animal at his side. "You get some rest while I go catch us a breakfast."

They had fish and eggs for breakfast, his furry friend especially liked salmon, a kings meal if they ever had one since they arrived to Dyrwood. The ranger could still see them, it wasn't a dream after all, he thought to himself. Shapes moved just on the edge of his vision, but as soon as he turned to face them they were gonne. And the worst part was he could hear them. All around him voices whispered, too low to understand, but there never the less. He felt like he was loosing his mind and even caught himself stairing at his own reflection in a small puddle of water, unable to recognize his own face.

"That's it I guess. I am offically crazy now." he whispered to him self and then caught a worried look from his companion. "I'm kidding buddy, don't worry. C'mon let's get out of here and find some amswers!"

They moved quietly through the woods, two shadows gliding over the grass without making a sound. One could never tell by looking at his furry friend, but despite their size bears could move with amazing grace and speed. Shortly they arrived near the cave Nonton mentioned and were immediately overtaken by the smell of mold and stale blood comming from the entrance. Fortunately they were down wind from the cave, otherwise the animal could have smelled them both a mile away. The ranger took a few small steps towards the entrance when he heard a low growl comming from his friend. He turned around and noticed his companion crouched with his head almost entirely to the ground, teeth uncovered and hairs on his back standing on edge. There was somethign sinister comming out of that cave, something the ranger couldn't explain. Maybe it was just his mind playing tricks on him again, but this time his companion could feel it too, and that got him worried.

"What do you think buddy? Should we check it out?" The ranger said with a hushed, slightly trembling voice.

The bear responded only by further lowering his head and exposing his fangs, low growl still comming from his mouth.

"Then you can feel it too I guess. Good thing I'm not the only one!", with those words both of them slowly backed away, moving quietly, down wind, from the dark entrance.

"Ok, let's get to Gilded Vale, it's about high time we found someone with answers! And once we find them, we're going back to hunt us that monster!"

Instead of:

I just started playing this game. I entered a cave with a bear.  I figured I'd send in my pet bear first, if it died I would flee.

I upgraded my bears damage reduction.