Trevor Noah to replace Jon Stewart

BruceVC

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/03/30/entertainment/trevor-noah-daily-show-jon-stewart-feat/index.html

So this is an interesting development, a South African comedian Trevor Noah is about to get the prestigious job of replacing Jon Stewart on the Daily Show

I'm  not sure if anyone on these forums has even heard of Trevor Noah, many people find him really funny. He is okay to me...not that funny

He also needs to realize that you won't go very far in an American media house  if he thinks his humor should be based on anti-Western and anti-American sentiment. So  I am cautiously optimistic about if he will succeed in his new position. The one consolation is that I believe that the writers of the  Daily Show should be the primary  contributors  towards his jokes  and what  he discusses. So hopefully he doesn't come across as just annoying his audience with the level of his humor  :geek:

• Like 2

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Yeah, thats what I was alluding to. He has in the past made several controversial jokes that are amongst  other things seen as anti-Semitic and derogatory towards women 

But to be fair you could argue that a sense of humor is subjective. But there is no doubt he will have to consider what he now tweets and thinks is funny as he is now on the international stage and what he says will be scrutinized 

So lets see how things progress :)

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

It seems like he's got the feel of the John Stewart shoe and how it would be, but he hasn't learned how to moderate himself. It's not gonna be fun that he's not an American comedian commenting on american politics.

The thing about Stewart is that even though he's beating up on American culture, he still feels like a part of it. He still has had to grow up immersed in it and all of it's idiocy. Noah will have to be careful about not coming off as the outsider pointing and laughing at our culture. John Oliver gets away with it but his social commentary isn't "This is what happened in the news today and how it's sad", his pieces are more about the greater background of the stories (discussing how things came to be) which means that rather than giving a verbal argument to everyone who looks at them funny, he's instead telling them how things are in parts of the world/culture that normally aren't seen.

Honestly, the more I think about it, the more I feel like this was made by execs rather than by anyone involved in the show. He's got the outside perspective of John Oliver, the interracial perspective of Larry Whilmore, but everything we've seen of him has been unmoderated by others in the show/business.

I feel like when John leaves the show will slowly fall apart because they're losing so many of their long time members. Jason Jones and John Stewart, With Jason gone I could see Sam Bee (his wife) going to, which would leave a very small number of people there who've got more than 2 years in front of the Camera.

Honestly, I'd have gotten Bassim Yousef if I could. The guy may be arabic but he's basically Arabic John Stewart already.

• Like 1

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

It seems like he's got the feel of the John Stewart shoe and how it would be, but he hasn't learned how to moderate himself. It's not gonna be fun that he's not an American comedian commenting on american politics.

The thing about Stewart is that even though he's beating up on American culture, he still feels like a part of it. He still has had to grow up immersed in it and all of it's idiocy. Noah will have to be careful about not coming off as the outsider pointing and laughing at our culture. John Oliver gets away with it but his social commentary isn't "This is what happened in the news today and how it's sad", his pieces are more about the greater background of the stories (discussing how things came to be) which means that rather than giving a verbal argument to everyone who looks at them funny, he's instead telling them how things are in parts of the world/culture that normally aren't seen.

Honestly, the more I think about it, the more I feel like this was made by execs rather than by anyone involved in the show. He's got the outside perspective of John Oliver, the interracial perspective of Larry Whilmore, but everything we've seen of him has been unmoderated by others in the show/business.

I feel like when John leaves the show will slowly fall apart because they're losing so many of their long time members. Jason Jones and John Stewart, With Jason gone I could see Sam Bee (his wife) going to, which would leave a very small number of people there who've got more than 2 years in front of the Camera.

Honestly, I'd have gotten Bassim Yousef if I could. The guy may be arabic but he's basically Arabic John Stewart already.

This is a very informed and realistic post, I like the part where you say " The thing about Stewart is that even though he's beating up on American culture, he still feels like a part of it. He still has had to grow up immersed in it and all of it's idiocy. Noah will have to be careful about not coming off as the outsider pointing and laughing at our culture " 

Thats exactly my concern, it reminds me of Piers Morgan who even though he made some good points he ultimately failed in the USA because he was seen as an outsider who was far too critical of certain groups in the USA, like the NRA, and made too many powerful enemies 

John Milton 

"He also needs to realize that you won't go very far in an American media house  if he thinks his humor should be based on anti-Western and anti-American sentiment."

Kidding right? Most of the successful comedians in the West make a habit of making fun of Amerika. LMAO  Just aslong as you attack the patriarchy and not women or minorities. Then you are in trouble due to the 'feels'.

• Like 1

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

He also needs to realize that you won't go very far in an American media house  if he thinks his humor should be based on anti-Western and anti-American sentiment.

...Have you ever ****ing spoken to an American? I dare say we're the most self-depricating people on Earth, both because we're just humor-loving and because we have every reason to be. (if someone would like to name another candidate, please do because I would love to meet the people of said country)

Not all of us of course, since there's truth to all stereotypes and the "MURICA" stereotype is no exception, but I often find myself explaining to foreigners who're curious about America that the USA actually houses two very distinct cultures, and criticism of the USA is very welcome amongst one, still welcome amongst the other for different reasons entirely.

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

He also needs to realize that you won't go very far in an American media house  if he thinks his humor should be based on anti-Western and anti-American sentiment.

...Have you ever ****ing spoken to an American? I dare say we're the most self-depricating people on Earth, both because we're just humor-loving and because we have every reason to be. (if someone would like to name another candidate, please do because I would love to meet the people of said country)

Not all of us of course, since there's truth to all stereotypes and the "MURICA" stereotype is no exception, but I often find myself explaining to foreigners who're curious about America that the USA actually houses two very distinct cultures, and criticism of the USA is very welcome amongst one, still welcome amongst the other for different reasons entirely.

Yes actually I have spoken to numerous Americans, I work for a global American software company and travel to the USA at least once a year

My point still stands but obviously this applies to certain groups within American culture

Despite the amazing patience Americans seem to have with foreigners telling them how to be a better nation criticism and ridicule from a foreigner won't be tolerated for very long...but Noah will know better than to do this all the time....he will use restraint and a level of balance 

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

I have to agree with Bruce on this, while there are many residents of the US who are almost Canadian in their self-depreciation, there are a not unsignificant group of residents of the US who wouldn't recognize humor if it testified in a court of law.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

a week ago we wouldn't have been able to pick trevor noah (ironic name given some o' his tweets) outta a police lineup.  had never seen or even heard o' the guy.  the thing is, a few days ago we saw the various tweets articles regarding mr. noah and am admitting that we immediately pigeonholed him as that sorta comedian.  dismissed from our thoughts thereafter.

'course, 'cause we is suspicious by nature and the choice o' trevor appears calculated to us. the daily show has a youngish and liberal audience; the problem amentep identifies ain't much o' an obstacle for the daily show.  if we were talking about replacing johnny carson or matlock or bill o'reilly, then trevor would be a poor choice who would likely alienate his audience, but that ain't the case. trevor's tweet comments were just controversial enough that he is gonna be attacked by many w/o driving away the core daily show audience... which is perfect.  one segment that the daily show does poorly with is black viewers.  is more than a few viewers who will watch the new host simply 'cause he is black.  is more than a few who will already be emotionally invested in trevor's success 'cause now his is a victim o' white society that doesn't "get it."   am fully believing that the daily show wanted a black host that were, *sigh* black enough.  is not a bad ploy.  

we has now channeled our inner village-idiot. throw us into the mix with the rest o' this board's blathering nutters who indulge in conspiracy theory  at every opportunity.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Yes actually I have spoken to numerous Americans, I work for a global American software company and travel to the USA at least once a year

My point still stands but obviously this applies to certain groups within American culture

Despite the amazing patience Americans seem to have with foreigners telling them how to be a better nation criticism and ridicule from a foreigner won't be tolerated for very long...but Noah will know better than to do this all the time....he will use restraint and a level of balance 

I didn't always find Jon Stewart's humor agreeable. On occasion he could be down right offensive and tasteless. That's just the nature of humor.

American humor doesn't always translate well, so it may not necessarily fl;y overseas.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

The thing that Gromnir doesn't pay attention to is that the network in question created an entire show to catch that black demographic and fill the hole left by Colbert.

It's called the Nightly Show with Larry Whilmore.

The thing that Gromnir doesn't pay attention to is that the network in question created an entire show to catch that black demographic and fill the hole left by Colbert.

It's called the Nightly Show with Larry Whilmore.

am very much aware that in spite of very good initial viewers for nightly show, it has dropped off precipitously.  you are proving our point about comedy network's goals.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Trevor Noah has a segment on coming to America wanting to be "black" (as in ZA, they didn't call him that) - there's several variations on the bit on YouTube. I guess he's been successful. :D

I saw the first few Wilmore shows, and he talks very specifically about black and racial issues. While such a show may be a good idea in general, it's not really suited to the Daily Show.

Noah, as an outsider, isn't that entrenched in the specifically American debate over race and probably a better choice. Even though South Africa did have its own, ahem, problems with racial politics.

Anyway, I saw him first on British TV (a QI appearance, I think), and I like him. Let's see how it plays out. As we saw with John Oliver, the Daily Show has enough talent in the background to carry not-Jon-Stewart, at least for some time.

Therefore I have sailed the seas and come

To the holy city of Byzantium. -W.B. Yeats

Χριστός ἀνέστη!

I think he's going to do fine, but I wonder why Jason Jones or Samantha Bee got passed over.

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

I wondered that myself but I'm not entirely convinced either could carry the show as the host. I'm not sure the guy they picked can either as I haven't been a fan of his appearances on the show so far

Maybe Gromnir's theory is right after all

Free games updated 3/4/21

• 4 weeks later...

Trevor Noah is gonna have a whole new news crew. Seems like most of the correspondents are departing anymore.

• 4 months later...

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/30/arts/television/trevor-noah-daily-show-debut.html?_r=0

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/daily-show-trevor-noah-tv-827833

So I'm  not sure if anyone was watching and  what everyone thinks of his debut at replacing the legendary Jon Stewart but Trevor Noah seems to have scored mostly favorable reviews 

Good for him, I'll be watching to see how he performs going forward  :geek:

• Like 1

John Milton