Police Abuse of Uber Driver in New York City

ktchong

@Orogun01, what I was pointing out, is the banal fact that "training and experience" are the making of any good professional. That include training on how to deal with trouble makers, diffuse hostile situations or react to lethal threat. Obviously traffic cop and gang unit member need different skills.. (and unlike customer service, those usually aren't controlled environments)

For example in the extreme, in Ukraine they gave kids uniforms and couple of magazines, those kids might be decent human beings, but in combat they likely to make a host of mistakes compared to "real" soldiers ( which usually spend hundreds of rounds a day training with a verity of weapons, maneuvers, situations, distraction etc )

The point I tried to make was that their training seems less focused on diffusing situations rather than responding with full force.

There's a world of difference with making mistakes while doing your job and having been trained wrong. 

@Hurlshot: While I'm all for freedom of speech I can understand why a police department might not want to be associated with them, still the problem should be handled at a Federal level (which my conspiracy sense tells me that its the whole point of publicizing these transgressions)

Edit: I just realized that that last part could be misinterpreted to mean that the racist's cop case should be handled at a federal level. I meant to say that the police brutality and investigations into police corruption should be handled at a federal level rather than by IA.

Absolutely not. I'm not sure if there is a worse case scenario than that.

Putting aside the fact that the Feds have no authority to do such a thing, centralizing that kind of power would be worse than letting the foxes in the hen house.

There is no simple solution in regards to fixing the police brutality and abuse issue. There's a myriad of causes and different departments/localities have different problems. The solution is at the local and state level.

The only thing to be done at the Federal level in regards to local police forces would be to amend the Constitution to forbid the oodles of immunity and special privileges laws that have been given to public officials and police over the last century. That isn't happening anytime soon.

Edited by Valsuelm

Who is Volo even quoting there?

He is the guy who posted the logic fail video about shooting cops. So who cares..

NM, my mistake, I was thinking off Valsuelm.

Logic fail eh?

Please explain logically, where any fail is.

Yea....

Didn't think so.

@Orogun01, what I was pointing out, is the banal fact that "training and experience" are the making of any good professional. That include training on how to deal with trouble makers, diffuse hostile situations or react to lethal threat. Obviously traffic cop and gang unit member need different skills.. (and unlike customer service, those usually aren't controlled environments)

For example in the extreme, in Ukraine they gave kids uniforms and couple of magazines, those kids might be decent human beings, but in combat they likely to make a host of mistakes compared to "real" soldiers ( which usually spend hundreds of rounds a day training with a verity of weapons, maneuvers, situations, distraction etc )

The point I tried to make was that their training seems less focused on diffusing situations rather than responding with full force.

There's a world of difference with making mistakes while doing your job and having been trained wrong. 

@Hurlshot: While I'm all for freedom of speech I can understand why a police department might not want to be associated with them, still the problem should be handled at a Federal level (which my conspiracy sense tells me that its the whole point of publicizing these transgressions)

Edit: I just realized that that last part could be misinterpreted to mean that the racist's cop case should be handled at a federal level. I meant to say that the police brutality and investigations into police corruption should be handled at a federal level rather than by IA.

Absolutely not. I'm not sure if there is a worse case scenario than that.

Putting aside the fact that the Feds have no authority to do such a thing, centralizing that kind of power would be worse than letting the foxes in the hen house.

There is no simple solution in regards to fixing the police brutality and abuse issue. There's a myriad of causes and different departments/localities have different problems. The solution is at the local and state level.

The only thing to be done at the Federal level in regards to local police forces would be to amend the Constitution to forbid the oodles of immunity and special privileges laws that have been given to public officials and police over the last century. That isn't happening anytime soon.

But the problem is  the local and state levels; politicians want to show results and buff their graphs to show decrease in crime, so they put it to the departments to redouble their efforts. Hence quotas which are handed down from the top down to prove that they are doing something about crime.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Presumably yes, but as I am not familiar with USA police training program, I'll have to claim ignorance on the subject. Although USA law enforcement has impressed me as very professional, and I would be surprised if something like that has passed them by..

But the problem is  the local and state levels; politicians want to show results and buff their graphs to show decrease in crime, so they put it to the departments to redouble their efforts. Hence quotas which are handed down from the top down to prove that they are doing something about crime.

Do you have any specific examples? because unfortunately all I know of that is wired to Baltimore, Maryland ;)

Most of the police departments in my area are training all the time.  The amount of training hours they actually have to fulfill in a year is borderline ridiculous.  That being said, I see a number of areas for improvement on what is being trained.  De-escalation should be a priority.

Most of the police departments in my area are training all the time.  The amount of training hours they actually have to fulfill in a year is borderline ridiculous.  That being said, I see a number of areas for improvement on what is being trained.  De-escalation should be a priority.

It should be, though I can't see it being very popular with a good chunk of them, not macho to want to calm things down with talking as opposed to some intervention with "non lethal" devices.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

It should be, though I can't see it being very popular with a good chunk of them, not macho to want to calm things down with talking as opposed to some intervention with "non lethal" devices.

They like to de-escalate with some bullets and beatings, when they're not ripping off charities of course. At least where I'm from at any rate, I suppose somewhere cops have a shred of decency.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

That training is likely to include firearms re-qualification; the usual matters of basic safety in working environment (i.e. anything that can endanger you in emergency situation, like Blood borne diseases or hazardous materials); briefing on situation, laws/policy and procedures; and probably a host of all sort mandatory by law re-qualifications (from radio operation to breathalyzer BS).

So while De-escalation should be a priority, its likely also a matter of extra budget. Also I believe that various "De-escalation" techniques are (or should be) already taught as part of various specialized training (e.g. approaching mental cases, dealing with victims, community policing, etc) and or part of gaining higher rank.

p.s. to state the obvious, that De-escalation techniques wouldn't have helped in the case in question, which seems to be anger related.

That is a bit naive. Even if everyone were polite and decent (especially with low wages), there are things like inexperience, pressure work\home, dealing with jerks all day long etc...

You just described a typical day of any clerk, seller, vendor. And they would loose a job if they acted even ONCE like the cop in question. They would be fired even if they acted in 10% like the cop.  Shouldn't a cop be subjected to higher standards than an average clerk?

You don't think it's weird that someone working a menial job should be terrified of offending some random yahoo?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.