Pillars of Eternity, Cities: Skylines Earn $18.5 Million in Three Weeks

http://gamingbolt.com/pillars-of-eternity-cities-skylines-earn-18-5-million-in-three-weeks

Guess what PoE still in its first week of release, from the news kinda PoE getting around 9-10M on first week now, we surely getting an expansion and sequel  :dancing: and hopefully all the backers get it for FREE since we the one that revive it  :yes:

Edited by syarulax
  • Like 4

Good stuff, hope it goes on to sell a lot more.

http://gamingbolt.com/pillars-of-eternity-cities-skylines-earn-18-5-million-in-three-weeks

Guess what PoE still in its first week of release, from the news kinda PoE getting around 9-10M on first week now, we surely getting an expansion and sequel  :dancing: and hopefully all the backers get it for FREE since we the one that revive it  :yes:

Some backers have already paid $20 for the expansion pack.

• Like 2

Good stuff, hope it goes on to sell a lot more.

Some backers have already paid $20 for the expansion pack.

I want to but they took away the option already :(

Cities: Skylines currently has several mods available for it, created by users, while Pillars of Eternity will receive an expansion in the coming months along with a sequel in the future.

What? Is a sequal officially stated? I didn't know that.

• Like 1

Great ,Now they could make a new game that will have toilets in it and good AI and characters that can walk and sneak one at a time so all of us naggers in the forums will shut up.

They will  probably make around 2- 3 times that sum eventually so they might get enough money to develop two new games like Larian studios did with the money from D:OS.

• Like 2

troll.gifseatroll.gificetroll.giftroll.gif

An ex-biophysicist but currently Studying Schwarzschild singularities' black holes' Hawking radiation using LAZORS and hypersonic sound wave models.

My main objective is to use my results to take over the world!

"To think Bioware wasted 200 million on SW-TOR....."

They likely made more profit than Obsidian made /makes for PE. Gotta spend money to make money. That said, 200 mil is ridiculous number though have my doubts since people seem to like to pop random numbers when quoting how much SWTOR cost to make. L0L

btw, The expansion was pretty much guaranteed during KS since  backers  at certain levels got it.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

If you follow Bryy's link in his thread, you'll see that Cities made 11.5M, which means PoE is at 7M. We don't know how the profit split with Paradox plays out, so Obs' share is more than likely less than 7M. Still, they've got to be pretty damned pleased with this.

As for the backers getting the expansion free: that was actually a backer tier item, so I doubt they'll toss it to everyone for nothing.

If you follow Bryy's link in his thread, you'll see that Cities made 11.5M, which means PoE is at 7M. We don't know how the profit split with Paradox plays out, so Obs' share is more than likely less than 7M. Still, they've got to be pretty damned pleased with this.

As for the backers getting the expansion free: that was actually a backer tier item, so I doubt they'll toss it to everyone for nothing.

We didn't get it for free. I know what you mean Ink Blot, but saying it's for free which lead some to think of favouratism is misleading, when you paid more than 500$. :)

I wish they toss to everyone for nothing.., either way I don't mind needing to buy the expension/sequal. It's good to know the genre lives, as if a great forgotten becon being light from this day foward

Edited by syarulax

"To think Bioware wasted 200 million on SW-TOR....."

They likely made more profit than Obsidian made /makes for PE. Gotta spend money to make money. That said, 200 mil is ridiculous number though have my doubts since people seem to like to pop random numbers when quoting how much SWTOR cost to make. L0L

btw, The expansion was pretty much guaranteed during KS since  backers  at certain levels got it.

I know that TOR was probably more profitable, and no the 200 million isnt a random number, its pretty much exactly what it took to make TOR.

But my point was, they wasted 200 million on making a game that in the end was horrible (if it was profitable or not it doesnt it doesnt matters for me, as a gamer), compared to how little Obsidian spent and made such a great game.

Edited by Wulfburk

Cities: Skylines currently has several mods available for it, created by users, while Pillars of Eternity will receive an expansion in the coming months along with a sequel in the future.

There was something on bluesnews a week or two back that an expansion is coming/in the works already.

Yeah lol, I paid for an expansion. Not sure why there's a question on that one. If I don't get the expansion back I want a refund. Simple, but that's a "later" thing. PoE so far is a hit that's selling like crazy and there's no reason they don't follow through with the expansion and then start cranking out a sequel. 

30% goes to steam/gog... I would guess since paradox didn't really fund the game that they don't get as big of a cut as most publishers get so they probably got anywhere around 25% give or take. So Obsidian likely gets 40-50% of the revenue.

So it is very likely, almost a forgone conclusion that they will have made enough money to fully fund the expansion and sequel with no problems.

I did math.

If the combined earnings is 60% for skylines and 40% for Eternity, then Eternity made about 7.4million this week. Both GoG and steam takes a 30% cut which brings it to $9.6mill. The game is sold for $45-80 so that means it sold about 200k worth of copies this week.

I would guess pillars of eternity currently sold about $9.000.000 - $10.000.000, excluding backers.

There are 77.000 backers (source opening screen)

+- 60% of them choose steam (source http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/71538-steam-vs-gog-redemption/)

19.3% of the people currently playing pillars of eternity on steam who are backers (source steam global achievements)

This means the rest bought the game instead of kickstarted it. With a price of $44.99 the nets about $8.500.000 on steam. Throw in some extra sales on GoG and the special editions, and you'd arrive at $9.000.000 - $10.000.000

I don't know which percentage goes back to the developer but I'd say it's a commercial success.

• Like 2

There was something on bluesnews a week or two back that an expansion is coming/in the works already.

Yeah the expansion is confirmed. I remember it being mentioned that it might come out around summer. The sequel thing from OP's article though is news to me, I know Obsidian has said they'd like to do a sequel but I don't think it has been confirmed anywhere but word like that from the publisher is pretty big.