Mark Grisky's music

Anyone have sample's of this guys work? the list of titles he has under his belt isn't impressive, but it IS pretty much all star wars stuff. I guess what's more important is how good his stuff actually sounds. Anyone know where I can find a sample or something?

He does seem to be a bit of a mystery composer. Probably Lucasarts in-house game music writer. Damn, would have preferred Mark Morgan, for some athmospheric background scores... :p

Does any of these games have homepages with a music download section (like the old Interplay download section) ?

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Has ANYONE played any of those games? Comments?

Looks like his primary credits are those awful Episode I tie-in games that Lucasarts threw out at almost exactly the same time the movie was released.

Except for Gladius, which I've never even heard of.

Long story short: I think we'll have to wait awhile before we find anyone who's played these games.

I made this half-pony half-monkey monster to please you

But I get the feeling that you don't like it

What's with all the screaming?

You like monkeys, you like ponies

Maybe you don't like monsters so much

Maybe I used too many monkeys

Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?

Gladius is a pretty good game especially if you're a fan of turn based tactical combat like FF Tactics which I normally am not but Gladius was an exception. I remember the music as being pretty good as well. Nothing truly memorable but what game soundtrack is? Other than the occasional catchy riff.

Which is better then a soundtrack that tries to get more attention than the game itself. I'd say a good soundtrack is subtle, accentuates the mood of the game and is forgotten a few minutes after you turn off the power.

Which is better then a soundtrack that tries to get more attention than the game itself. I'd say a good soundtrack is subtle, accentuates the mood of the game and is forgotten a few minutes after you turn off the power.

Wrong.

You should be executed for even suggesting something like this.

Has anybody here ever forgotten John Williams score after whatching the original Star Wars for the first time ?!? Or Basil Poledouris on Conan : The Barbarian ?!? Has anybody ever forgot the Jaws theme ?!? Or the Bartok music for Celesta, String and Percussion in The Shining ?!? What about Ligeti's Requiem from 2001 : A Space Odessy ?!?

This days, wheter it's a game or a movie, musical scores are threated like cosmetic additions of little relevance, it completely sickens me...

Wrong.

Has anybody here ever forgotten John Williams score after whatching the original Star Wars for the first time ?!? Or Basil Poledouris on Conan : The Barbarian ?!? Has anybody ever forgot the Jaws theme ?!? Or the Bartok music for Celesta, String and Percussion in The Shining ?!? What about Ligeti's Requiem from 2001 : A Space Odessy ?!?

This days, wheter it's a game or a movie, musical scores are threated like cosmetic additions of little relevance, it completely sickens me...

Yes.

I have forgotten basically everyone of those songs you mentioned. If I were to hear them again that'd remind me of them. I think perhaps you should be executed for caring so much about the soundtrack. Anyways soundtracks for games are a lot different than soundtracks for movies. You can't let the soundtrack distract you from the game.

I remember like one song from a movie. That's it. Normally it's the one they play all the time in commercials and things. Same for game. There's normally one song or melody and that's it.

Wrong.

Indeed. Music is one of the most important features for me to REALLY experience a game. In fact, it's often the thing I remember the most from a game if it's been a long time since I last played it. Heck, it's usually what drives me to replay the games. I love game music.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

If I want a song Ill buy a CD. I'm not playing KOTOR 2 hoping that there's a really good song in there. I'm not watching LOTR because it's soundtrack won awards. If the music really really sucked then I would care. That would detract from the game. Or if he put western music in an SW game. Otherwise game music is always forgettable as are most songs in movies.

I remember like one song from a movie. That's it. Normally it's the one they play all the time in commercials and things. Same for game. There's normally one song or melody and that's it.

You must be a rather unmusical kinda guy... :rolleyes:

I can pretty much hum most of the sound tracks i head by memory even as we speak, i even have a few CDs of each score (well, Bartok's score in The Shining is actually a real composition and one of the greatest masterpeices of western culture, truly a work of genius).

But even normal musical scores get their due off-screen as well. A movie like Once Upon a Time in the West wouldn't have been near as a materpeice without Ennio Morricone's special touch.

Todays music in movies is horribly bland and forgettable, generally relying on a few themes and nothing more, it's a disgrace.

Games are no different.

I loved the music in Warcraft II, Total Annhilation, No One Lives Forver (60's grove galore baby), the original Ice Wind Dale, Torment, hell, even Quake 2 for christ sake (Heavy Metal = Adrenalin).

Music in a game to me is FAR more important then graphics, and many other aspects of a game as well...

If I want a song Ill buy a CD.

Music is the a way to communicate emotions.

Wheter in a game or in a movie, the producers are always trying to pry an emotional responce from the aduience/player, and whilst a particular shot or an action sequence may set the scene, it's up to the music to grab your harm and guide you all the way throught it.

When i listen to music, it isn't unsual my mind starts popping images in relation to the emotion contained within.

In a movie, the image is actually there, music is there to complete the picture.

It's not about the medium (visual, aureal or interactive), it's not about listening to a CD or whatching a DVD, it's about EMOTION, it's about the reason why i do all this thngs in the first place.

This are not just different mediums for personal entartaiment. They all share the same function to me...

You must be a rather unmusical kinda guy... :rolleyes:

Yes.

I can pretty much hum most of the sound tracks i head by memory even as we speak, i even have a few CDs of each score (well, Bartok's score in The Shining is actually a real composition and one of the greatest masterpeices of western culture, truly a work of genius).

Id say the reason you care so much is you are a musical kind of guy. Which is fine. Some people are graphics whores and I guess some are music whores. :)

But even normal musical scores get their due off-screen as well. A movie like Once Upon a Time in the West wouldn't have been near as a materpeice without Ennio Morricone's special touch.

Yes it would have. And most don't get any dues off-screen. Take the Oscars for example. Who cares who wins best song? Basically no one except for music lovers like you.

Todays music in movies is horribly bland and forgettable, generally relying on a few themes and nothing more, it's a disgrace.

Games are no different.

That's because people prefer a catchy riff. A song that becomes identified with that game and the rest is just gravy. Is gravy good sure. But it's not the meat and potatoes.

I loved the music in Warcraft II, Total Annhilation, No One Lives Forver (60's grove galore baby), the original Ice Wind Dale, Torment, hell, even Quake 2 for christ sake (Heavy Metal = Adrenalin).

Music in a game to be is FAR more important then graphics, and many other aspects of a game as well...

I loved the music too... When I am playing it. I'd say a balance of graphics and music is better than the extremes of either.

Wheter in a game or in a movie, the producers are always trying to pry an emotional responce from the aduience/player, and whilst a particular shot or an action sequence may set the scene, it's up to the music to grab your harm and guide you all the way throught it.

When i listen to music, it isn't unsual my mind starts popping images in relation to the emotion contained within.

In a movie, the image is actually there, music is there to complete the picture.

It's not about the medium (visual, aureal or interactive), it's not about listening to a CD or whatching a DVD, it's about EMOTION, it's about the reason why i do all this thngs in the first place.

This are not just different mediums for personal entartaiment. They all share the same function to me...

Sure but I don't need every song in a movie to compete for my memory. That just distracts from the visual medium. If I happen to remember it good for the song. If I don't who cares. As long as I get it while I am watching or playing. It doesn't matter to me if I get the song stuck in my head for days or not.

Sure but I don't need every song in a movie to compete for my memory. That just distracts from the visual medium. If I happen to remember it good for the song. If I don't who cares. As long as I get it while I am watching or playing. It doesn't matter to me if I get the song stuck in my head for days or not.

That's really besides the point really, we are talking about music and it's role on this particular mediums.

No one will argue William's score is what made a great deal of the Star Wars trilogy, not even you (me hopes).

If KOTORII wishes to maintain the tradition of the films AT ALL, some random background yammering simply WILL NOT DO.

:rolleyes:

If I want a song Ill buy a CD. I'm not playing KOTOR 2 hoping that there's a really good song in there. I'm not watching LOTR because it's soundtrack won awards. If the music really really sucked then I would care. That would detract from the game. Or if he put western music in an SW game. Otherwise game music is always forgettable as are most songs in movies.

I think you're probably going to be pretty much alone on this one.

Great music can turn a good game into a classic, IMHO.

I made this half-pony half-monkey monster to please you

But I get the feeling that you don't like it

What's with all the screaming?

You like monkeys, you like ponies

Maybe you don't like monsters so much

Maybe I used too many monkeys

Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?

That's really besides the point really, we are talking about music and it's role on this particular mediums.

No one will argue William's score is what made a great deal of the Star Wars trilogy, not even you (me hopes).

If KOTORII wishes to maintain the tradition of the films AT ALL, some random background yammering simply WILL NOT DO.

:rolleyes:

Sorry I will. Star Wars would have been just as great had the music been less memorable. Just like I don't think a tv show is any worse just because their theme song sucks. I don't care If I'm alone on this. And I definitely disagree that a good game can suddenly become great just because the music is good. As I said and I hope you get the expression "Gravy is good, but it is not the meat and potatoes." As long as the music is good then that's all you need. The soundtrack doesn't also need to win a grammy to make the game itself worthy of praise.

I hope you understand I'm not saying the music doesn't matter at all. I just disagree with how MUCH you think it matters. And even with a great soundtrack how many people remember more than one song from it? Sure plenty of people remember the Jaws theme but what about the other sounds in the movie? That's because the music is all background and is only meant to enhance the visual medium not surpass it.

Once upon a time in the west would actually have been a very different movie without the soundtrack. Leone knew how much Morricones music could add to his films, so he let him compose the score before he shot any scenes and then adapted the scenes and the movie to the music.

For me, the sound design always was an important part of SW. Not only the music but also the sound of the lightsabers, the engine roar of the tie fighters etc. There isnt any other setting that, for me, is defined so much by its soundscape.

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.

-John Rogers

Well, this Mark Grisky doesn't seem to have a great track record, but I did read a few reviews of Gladius' music which suggest he's a capable composer. I'm going to look on the bright side and hope for a fantastic score.

Soundtracks are very important to me, whether in movies or games. I can't get into a game if the music is lousy or just background noise. Music can enhance the atmosphere tremendously. Likewise, a score which is dull and repetitive is not going to encourage me to play the game. Some of the very best music is in RPGs. I have a list a mile long of awesome RPG music. I can't imagine playing them without those tunes, and I'd hate for Kotor2 to have a bad score.

100% Agreed.

There where several places in KotOR where the music enriches the overall experience. Take the tune you hear at the Jedi Academy or at the Dantooine outback, it really gave you the illusion of being on some sort safe haven.

The tune "Bastila Shan", which is played at the temple summit deserves extra attention though, Jeremy Soule really outdid himself with capturing the atmosphere almost perfectly.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Dantooine outback, it really gave you the illusion of being on some sort safe haven.

This track was AWESOME. It contributed to the atmosphere and immersion, and made the murder scene on Dantooine my FAVORITE part of the game. Everything about the scene was perfect. It wouldn't have been the same without it. AT ALL.

I'm actually the opposite of Shdy314. I never buy music CDs. I never listen to popular music. I have no reason to. Music convey emotion? Well, I can't connect to it. I have no reason to. It doesn't MEAN anything to me.

Hey, back in the old days, I didn't pay attention to gaming music. Until I stumbled upon a little game. Secret Of Mana. My first console RPG. For the first time, I was playing a game not only for the gameplay, but also for the story, the characters. For the first time, I started paying attention to the music. Music wasn't just background noise anymore, it was part of the experience, which wouldn't have been the same without it. Then came Final Fantasy 6, and Chrono Trigger. I've loved gaming music ever since.

When I listen to music, it has to connect to me. It connects me back to the experience. I wouldn't listen to something I don't know anything about. I'd have no reason to. Same goes for movies.

Music > graphics for me.

Hey, most people would rather be deaf than blind. For me, it'd be a tough choice to make. Ultimately, I'd choose the former, but gamewise, I'd rather have no graphics and awesome music then the other way around. Oh wait, I can have both.

Hadescopy.jpg

Secret of Mana 2 has some great music, considering the limitations of the SNES.

I can still remember the tracks from that game, and it's over 2 years since I last played it.

Same for Final Fantasy 6 and 7. Just wouldn't be the same without the music.

It's been almost ten years, and I can still remember most of the music in Secret Of Mana. Same goes for virtually all RPGs with good music. I'm scary that way.

Hadescopy.jpg