MLB 2015

kgambit

Baseball has caught up with basketball on the mass adoption of these tracking cameras and software package.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

http://www.raysindex.com/2015/04/rays-dfa-grant-balfour.html

What happened to this guy? He went from a top tier reliever to a late innings disaster and shows no sign of turning that around.

Some flames burn bright but don't last long. It happens.

Caught a few minutes of some random localized games the other day. It still amuses me when announcers made all these comments/predictions/analysis regarding a players current season stats (not lifelong/last season) ... when it's still April. Yeah I know ... it's a stat game. It still amuses me.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

It looks really cool. It would be nice to have it in football too.

Association Football already has.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

Because he is the single most dangerous hitter from the post color barrier era.

Because he is the greatest left fielder in the history of the game.

Because his felony perjury indictment was dropped and obstruction of justice conviction overturned by an overwhelming 10-1 decision by the U.S. 9th Circuit Court of Appeals.

Barry Bonds is the best baseball player you'll ever see in your lifetime. Fact.

Edited by Leferd
  • Like 2

Like Volo said, steroids didn't make him a better hitter. Roger Maris was a scrawny thing and still broke the record. What steroids did for Bond, and many others, was keep them around at a high level for longer than they should have been. For a slugger like Bonds breaking the career mark was just about staying healthy long enough to do it. But Hank Aaron never used them and he hit 755 so I'd say he was better.

But then again he retired in '76 and I was only 4 and not watching baseball so maybe Leferd was right. Bonds might be the best player I'll SEE in my lifetime. :lol:

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

• 3 weeks later...

How f-----g cool is this: http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20150510&content_id=123611124&fext=.jsp&vkey=news_milb&sid=milb

The irony is that train is bound for Chicago!

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

The Rays have lost Alex Cobb & Drew Smyly for the season. One has a torn UCL, the other a torn Labrum. Most of their pitching staff belongs in AAA. Yet they are 2 games over .500 & in second place despite being dead last in team batting average and runs scored. You got love the Rays.

Thomas Sowell

Like Volo said, steroids didn't make him a better hitter. Roger Maris was a scrawny thing and still broke the record. What steroids did for Bond, and many others, was keep them around at a high level for longer than they should have been. For a slugger like Bonds breaking the career mark was just about staying healthy long enough to do it. But Hank Aaron never used them and he hit 755 so I'd say he was better.

But then again he retired in '76 and I was only 4 and not watching baseball so maybe Leferd was right. Bonds might be the best player I'll SEE in my lifetime. :lol:

Roger Maris was 6'0" 197 pounds.  That's not scrawny.    Aaron was 6'0" and 180.  Before he starting cheating  juicing, Barry Bonds was 6'2" 185.  Then he pumped up to 228 pounds the year he hit 73 hrs (Too many Tastee Kreme donuts?  I think not.)  

Experts have long agree that steroids can increase both muscle and strength.  Studies have shown that the increased muscle mass and strength could boost HR production by a significant amount.  (Roger Tobin of Tufts University calculated that a 10% increase in muscle mass would translate to ~3.8%* more bat speed  and ~3% more ball speed after impact.  That translates to ~ 16.5 feet of travel distance and increases a 0.1 HRBiP to 0.149 - an increase of nearly 50%.  Physics don't lie.)

Even if you argue that the only effect of steroids was to prolong Bonds' career  that still taints his career records as it allowed him to perform at a high level longer than he would have if he hadn't cheated  juiced.    (In fairness, the ridiculously short right field porchs for both Maris and Bonds didn't hurt. 296' and 309' respectively.)

Bonds juiced and you're fooling yourself if you (a) think he didn't and (b) think it had zero effect on his career.  Color it any you want, Bonds cheated.  He didn't legitimately break Aaron's or Maris' records.   No Hall of Fame for you. 

*Tobin originally calculated 5% more bat speed but later revised it to 3.8% with the subsequent travel distance increase dropping from 4% to 3%.   Tobin's conclusions were reviewed by Alan M Nathan, at the University of Illinois who concurred with Tobin's results.

http://baseball.physics.illinois.edu/BRJ-Steroids-v3.pdf

Edited by kgambit

Oh I'm not saying it didn't affect his career. It kept him in the game longer than his age and physical ailments should have.

Thomas Sowell

Oh I'm not saying it didn't affect his career. It kept him in the game longer than his age and physical ailments should have.

The sad part is that did NOT have to cheat, he was good enough to make it to the hall without doing so.  But he did and  I wouldn't vote for a cheater under ANY circumstances. 

The sad part is that did NOT have to cheat, he was good enough to make it to the hall without doing so.  But he did and  I wouldn't vote for a cheater under ANY circumstances. 

I don't disagree with you there.

Thomas Sowell

I don't disagree with you there.

I'm assuming you mean about not having to cheat.  :)    I know  that people are going to be split on the voting issue.   

Edited by kgambit

WAAAAAAAAAA!

\

Steroids should be legal. PERIOD.

Why you crying?  Someone take your toys?

No.  PERIOD.  And the vast majority of MLB players agree with me.

Edited by kgambit

You know I am more qualified to manage the Marlins than Dan Jennings? Never played pro ball? Check. Never managed pro ball? Check. Good communicator with amiable personality? Check. Successfully guided a team to the world series? Nope, but neither has he. But I have done it in OOTP several times with the Marlins so I got him there.

Thomas Sowell