PARADOX MAKES $18.5m USD OVER CITIES + PoE

Bryy

Very happy for the Cities Skylines developers

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Good for Paradox and Obsidian. Both companies make really good games that I want to continue to play.

• Like 1

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Tonight I shall dream of a Crusader Kings game with even more RPG elements

If I were about to dream about that I wouldn't be able to sleep... :S

And doesn't obsidian actually get to keep most of the profit?

Yep, so we've been told. Paradox gets to sell physical stuff though. I wonder exactly how the agreement looks like.

In other articles I've read it appears Paradox widely considers their deal with Obsidian to be a prestige thing, although they do apparently earn money from it.

Very happy for the Cities Skylines developers

Well. The Cities: Skylines devs has had a traditional publishing agreement with Paradox. That means that Paradox funds the development, but they also get most of the money when the game is sold. Just like with every title Obsidian has released up to this one ;)

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

Most of revenue at least, profit depends much of how company uses their money and their other sources of revenue. So it is possible that Paradox makes more profit from PoE even though they get smaller piece of revenue because of their larger overall revenue, although at end that is just accounting game that has real meaning only those who get part of company's profits.

Well. The Cities: Skylines devs has had a traditional publishing agreement with Paradox. That means that Paradox funds the development, but they also get most of the money when the game is sold. Just like with every title Obsidian has released up to this one wink.png

Even so, was glad to see a small developer get a decent hit, I think they are 20-30 people or something.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

If its a typical publisher does only marketing and distribution while developer uses own expenses for game development, its probably 50/50 or 60/40. But again this is based on my experience with mobile games model. Could be different for this kind of publishing. 

I'll doubt they could bring this one to consoles. Wasteland 2 I can understand- turn based combat and stuff, that might work. But just imagine having to deal with the realtime moshpits in PoE with a gamepad... must be the one deepest hole in hell.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I'll doubt they could bring this one to consoles. Wasteland 2 I can understand- turn based combat and stuff, that might work. But just imagine having to deal with the realtime moshpits in PoE with a gamepad... must be the one deepest hole in hell.

If they can find an elegant way then power to them...my puny human brain can't see how they'll do it without resorting to simplification though  :huh:

Most of revenue at least, profit depends much of how company uses their money and their other sources of revenue. So it is possible that Paradox makes more profit from PoE even though they get smaller piece of revenue because of their larger overall revenue, although at end that is just accounting game that has real meaning only those who get part of company's profits.

All that PoE gets, SHOULD be now clear profit (since they already had the costs covered by the KS), although some of it probably goes into patching activities and some rebalancing, but nothing major I would assume.

NOW, i am sure they are already working on expansion, so i can get it before Xmas this year :D and then the probably started brainstorming on PoE 2, where to go from the ending of PoE and maybe revisit some of the mechanics

Keep in mind that PoE will probably still make money in 10 years, which then probably all goes to Obsidian and not to some random publisher. That's the cool thing this time.

• Like 2

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."