Is hitting TAB cheating? (Highlighting items)

No, it's not cheating! Come... to the dark side!

Seriously, how does pixel hunting prove any prowess? Now, if hitting tab made all your foes fall dead, *that* would be cheating. <.<

EDIT: Even rhetorical questions use a question mark, don't they?

• Like 14

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Nah. Tab lets you get around a "gamey" thing, which is that some items are interactable and some aren't. This has no "real-world" equivalent other than not wasting time looking at all the completely non-interesting stuff. Think of Tab as asking the DM "I glance around me for anything of interest - do I see anything?".

The game *does* have a mechanic for finding hidden things in Scouting mode. And there's plenty of hidden stuff. All the stuff you can find with Tab was put there for "free", as it were. :)

All this is moot if you find pixel-hunting more fun. It IS a single-player game, after all. Play how you want. :D

• Like 8

Hitting TaB is very retro. Nowadays people just hit Coke Zero or Pepsi Max or some such.

It's not cheating unless you're a pro gamer going against a Diet Dew sponsorship contract or some such, especially while livestreaming your Let's Play Pillars of Eternity—Five Chanters and a Priest rehearsal.

Hit all the TaB you want within moderation. The game don't care.

Drink responsibly. Don't forget to vote. Just say no to mugs, unless they are mugs of TaB.

• Like 2

--/\/

Now, if they put in a player 'pet' who went around picking up loot for him, that would be pretty cheesy. I'd rail against it. I would use. ...But I'd rail against it.

• Like 2

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Now, if they put in a player 'pet' who went around picking up loot for him, that would be pretty cheesy. I'd rail against it. I would use. ...But I'd rail against it.

You know the Guans Pledge is pure PTW right? ... You sell it to Haegan for 1537 copper along with the 750c dissapointer, and by the time you get to the first town you can buy 5 level 2 adventurers.

You know the Guans Pledge is pure PTW right? ... You sell it to Haegan for 1537 copper along with the 750c dissapointer, and by the time you get to the first town you can buy 5 level 2 adventurers.

Why, I could roll out a gun choir of rogues!

--/\/

I mapped it to my mouse's side buttons so I could casually tap it with my thumb as I'm moving around - I'd have wasted so much time mousing over crates that weren't actually loot boxes without it.

I actually just remapped Tab to the interactable toggle.  That way I just have to hit it once per play session and not worry about missing anything obvious or having to hold down a button as I run around.

• Like 3

I'm with the person that said that TAB highlighting could be removed if there was a stat or system that allowed you to passively highlight nearby loot containers (something like the NWN/DnD "spot" skill). Either way, feels like just a commodity to get around a limitation inherent to videogames, and not really cheating. The really hidden loot containers/doors do require you to scout nearby to be able to find them.

I don't think so. 

Scouting reveals secrets and traps, look at tab as a manual easier way to look at interesting things around you, as easy as looking around. 

Although I guess if that applied it should've been reduced to your vision range and not being able to highlight things accross the map :D

Yes it is CHEATING! you should restart the game every time you are doing it....

Edited by barakav
  • Like 3

troll.gifseatroll.gificetroll.giftroll.gif

An ex-biophysicist but currently Studying Schwarzschild singularities' black holes' Hawking radiation using LAZORS and hypersonic sound wave models.

My main objective is to use my results to take over the world!