Should I wait until the patch fixes said "gamebreaking bugs?"

Reddit has been talking about bugs that delete or corrupt your saved files, among other things. I was wondering what you all suggest since this is the main community for Pillars. Should I wait for the patch or should I just go ahead and play cautiously? Thanks guys.

Well, given that a patch is estimated for this week, I'd say if you don't mind waiting, it's not a terrible idea.  I went ahead and started playing on release day because I am impatient and willing to risk the likely early bugs rather than have to wait, and indeed, shelved my game 30-odd hours in.  The deleting/corrupting saves one does not seem to be widespread going by the number of people posting about that as compared to other bugs, though, so if you familiarize yourself with how to avoid and watch for the other major bugs, you might be fine, yeah.

Well, given that a patch is estimated for this week, I'd say if you don't mind waiting, it's not a terrible idea.  I went ahead and started playing on release day because I am impatient and willing to risk the likely early bugs rather than have to wait, and indeed, shelved my game 30-odd hours in.  The deleting/corrupting saves one does not seem to be widespread going by the number of people posting about that as compared to other bugs, though, so if you familiarize yourself with how to avoid and watch for the other major bugs, you might be fine, yeah.

Well, I guess I have less to lose. I just got in Act II but man I want to play. I probably will and risk it, as the game is so good. But I must ask, what are some ways to avoid these bugs if you don't mind? I know that double-clicking to equip gear is a no-no, but that's about all I know.

I'd wait until at least the next patch comes out before starting a serious playthrough.

Just my opinion.  Save yourself a headache.

Believe me, I've been there, and yeah, it's not fun. Well, thinking about the times I've had all my saves from other games deleted, I may just wait. I remember my Knights of the Old Republic 2 save being deleted, not fun.

Well, I guess I have less to lose. I just got in Act II but man I want to play. I probably will and risk it, as the game is so good. But I must ask, what are some ways to avoid these bugs if you don't mind? I know that double-clicking to equip gear is a no-no, but that's about all I know.

Okay:

Don't double-click to equip.

Don't save and load the game in a location where you recruited a companion.

Save regularly and don't overwrite your saves, you want to be able to back up if you hit a problem.  Probably not a terrible idea to occasionally copy the save folder over somewhere else.

If you equip any items that boost stats, keep an eye on the person wearing them that the stat in question isn't having its base value increased beyond where it should be over time.

Avoid the Drinking Horn of Moderation amulet.

Maybe avoid rangers for the time being; their animal companions can disappear and apparently remain disappeared across all your saves, preventing you from moving between areas.

Make sure you have a proper save before going to Raedric's Hold, as well as before entering the Sanitarium.

If you are playing a goody two shoes benevolent type, don't do the quest that starts with a godlike woman called Pallegina saying something to you, it'll end up broken.

Don't use the Chanter frost trap phrase.

Edited by sparklecat

I've been playing a lot since launch, but I haven't progressed far into Act 1. Instead, I've been spending the time checking out all the classes that interest me, figuring out mechanics and how stats affect them etc. Basically, preparing for a solid playthrough when the patch comes that fixes the "dangerous" bugs.

If you're keen on doing a solid playthrough from the get-go, then maybe wait for the patch first. Otherwise, take the time to learn the games ins-and-outs until the patch arrives imo.

I've not experienced any of the bugs (30+ hours, mostly replays of the first chapters :)). I 'naturally' dragged equipment in the inventory rather than double-clicking, which seems to have avoided the worst one.

It ain't so "game breaker", just do not equip stuff by double clicking. And be carefull around Adra Stones because they hug your characters so hard only reloading you'll be able to free them from their cold embrace...

I've played 44 hours now and the only one that I've encountered is the Raedric's Hold bug. There are workarounds for that.

It seems that folks have found the more nasty bugs that are going to mess with your gameplay experience and for the greater proportion of them, there are workarounds or avoidance techniques. If you're really keen, and know how to be cautious, you can probably play and avoid the problems.

I don't know much about the savegame corruption/deletion thing some people are reporting tho.

ps. there's a random bug I've encountered once where you kill something and it slowly pinwheels off the screen in a crazy limb-distorting way. It's hilarious and has to be seen to be believed. (I actually kinda love it tbh).

I've not experienced any of the bugs (30+ hours, mostly replays of the first chapters :)). I 'naturally' dragged equipment in the inventory rather than double-clicking, which seems to have avoided the worst one.

Check your companion stats. The stat stacking bug can be subtle. I only noticed it in my game because blonde fighter guy was tanking entire encounters without getting hit.

• Like 1

I hit the Raedrics Hold bug, but had a save file just before entering the bugged map. I also equipped the Drinking Horn of Moderation before I knew about that bug.

I haven't hit *any* of the other bugs at all. Haven't done anything special to avoid them, though. I don't play with rangers, and I've saved many times in areas where I recruited companions--my stronghold (where I recruited Kana) for example. I dunno, either I'm lucky or these bugs are rarer than people think.

The only bug I've had beyond one rather amusing episode where my companion started apparently trying to pistol-whip people to death in the middle of the fight was the Drinking Horn of Moderation sending my PC's intellect to 34 before I noticed.

I think rather more people are affected by the companion stat increase bug than have actually noticed they are.

Edited by sparklecat
  • Like 1

I hit the Raedrics Hold bug, but had a save file just before entering the bugged map. I also equipped the Drinking Horn of Moderation before I knew about that bug.

I haven't hit *any* of the other bugs at all. Haven't done anything special to avoid them, though. I don't play with rangers, and I've saved many times in areas where I recruited companions--my stronghold (where I recruited Kana) for example. I dunno, either I'm lucky or these bugs are rarer than people think.

Squeaky wheels make the most noise.

Ehh. If you haven't started a game yet, you might wanna wait. I'm probably going to wait until the patch comes out, but then, I also have wayyyyyyy too many games to play currently (haven't even INSTALLED Wasteland 2 yet, and Evolve just got a major update). Also, I'm thinking about starting over with a slightly different Wizard build (since I'm not too far in), especially after some tweaks and fixes are in-place, however minor they may be.

But, really, if you look up the bad bugs, the list isn't that long. You wouldn't have to go too far out of your way to avoid those until the patch drops. 8P

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

I would wait until this patch comes out.  I had to stop playing as my ranger companion disappeared and no matter what save game I load from, he is gone.  And you cant leave an area unless all of your party is there.. so without the companion, it won't let me leave the area.  Does anyone know if this bug will definitely be fixed in the upcoming patch?

I mean - the things to avoid are fairly easy (if a bit annoying) for the time being. Just don't save/reload in areas where you recruited companions and don't double click to equip. Other than those and the few bugged items/abilities to avoid, the game is pretty stable.

Don't get me wrong. Those two bugs are ridiculous and should be corrected ASAP. But at least they're avoidable.

• Like 1

I would wait until this patch comes out.  I had to stop playing as my ranger companion disappeared and no matter what save game I load from, he is gone.  And you cant leave an area unless all of your party is there.. so without the companion, it won't let me leave the area.  Does anyone know if this bug will definitely be fixed in the upcoming patch?

I believe they said it will be, yes.

If you are playing a goody two shoes benevolent type, don't do the quest that starts with a godlike woman called Pallegina saying something to you, it'll end up broken.

Which bug is this? I was playing a generally nice person, but...

Not one who would rush to the defense of someone who knew what they were getting themselves into. Is it a good thing I didn't save the trading company boss?

Curious about the subraces in Pillars of Eternity? Check out