I've played a LOT of crpgs and have always lamented their treatment of rogues as utility characters or one shot backstabbers who can't do much else. Nevertheless, rogue is always how I roll, disappointing or not.

PoE finally got it right (mostly). I built a glass cannon dual wielder who is absolutely crushing it - highest DPS in the party (by far), which is how charname is supposed to be imo. The battlefield mechanics with a focus on sneak attack are really fun even with the bad pathfinding...you have to micromanage, but it's totally worth it.

Stealth is probably my only major beef - because the mechanics don't allow your character to say hidden while the rest of the party has been discovered, sneaking into a room and backstabbing is usually way more trouble than it's worth and makes the talent a waste. I've never played any rpg - ever - that forces a group stealth mechanic like this. It's a really strange design choice.

That said, it's still an incredibly fun class to play but doesn't seem to get a lot of love here on the forums. Anyone else playing a rogue? Would love to see your builds, especially ones with out-of-the-box weapon/talent focuses :)

I've played a LOT of crpgs and have always lamented their treatment of rogues as utility characters or one shot backstabbers who can't do much else. Nevertheless, rogue is always how I roll, disappointing or not.

Well, to me the concept of "rogue" is the problem in the first place.  People treat them like they should all be the same, in any game or context.  I do like PoE because the rogue is not just a D&D thief that was renamed, but is instead merely a different type of fighter.  Rogue gives a negative context and so I never want to be one of those, I don't like playing the bad guys.  But being a guerilla fighter or an untrained fighter feels more reasonable.  And I'm definitely totally sick to death of the "rouge" style.

But PoE did keep the stereotype of glass cannon, the highest single target non magic DPS class in far far too many games is the rogue/thief/burglar/scout/scoundrel, etc.

When I choose rogue in older games it's because I mostly want flexibility.  Ie you feel a bit at a disadvantage in BG/BG2 if you can't disarm traps well, and passing up a chest you can't open feels bad, so there's a lot of pressure to make a rogue.  I never cared about the stealth part, that feels too stereotypical (and stereotypes is what class based RPGs are all about sadly).

But I picked rogue in this one, oh well.

Rogues are pretty great, yeah! They have a distinct niche and they fill it almost as well as ciphers excellently.

For all of the troubles with the attribute and armor systems, the actual classes in PoE really did come out pretty well. Cheers, gents.

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

I've always first rolled rogues as well. By far my favorite class to play. I think it has something with wanting to get into every nook and cranny, see what's in every chest, room and pocket... That sort of thing. Also always helped in past games with the lead character being able to spot traps.