Impact of companions on story, loot, etc?

Hi everybody,

I'm currently planning my party setup. I'd love to play solo or with a party full of non-casters because I can't stand micro-managing (all those spells). But I'm afraid that I'll miss out on a lot of good companions quests, dialogues, equipment (?), etc.

So, my questions to you are:
A) How would you rate the impact of the eight companions the game has to offer from a pure subjective standpoint?
B) Do you have some good examples of that kind of stuff a player without companions would miss (without too much spoilers)?

Thanks in advance.

2 NPCs in particular provide you with a LOT of lore exposition - you could obviously read this for yourself if you're privy to the large amount of supplementary material available with the game, or in the included encyclopedia, but it's obviously a lot more fun to me, to see how that stuff is presented in the game itself.   I daresay the game would make a little less sense - along with the motivations of your character in particular - because a lot of "so what do we do now" is done with the NPCs from time to time - several of the NPCs have a *lot* of content. 

I'd say you can do with 3 selfmade characters and then take 2 constant premade NPCs and rotate the last one.

Aloth (the Mage) and the Grieving Mother (the Cypher) both require SOME micro, but as long as you're playing on Normal mode, you can drag them through the game and only really micromanage boss fights.

This way you get most of the interactions the game has in store for you AND get to play the way you want.

Though playing with only the game given NPCs might make it more interesting for the first playthrough.

You will easily reach maxlevel without the NPC-quests, if you focus on doing non-mainlinquests and in terms of loot....I don't remember those quests giving you something incredibly special, so yeah you could go without the loot as well.

But having them gives great interactions and a better ending (storywise).

You would miss out on at least one different outcome in a quest in Dyrford, which involves the Grieving Mother, but that's just if you want to have the best possible outcomes for all quests.

Also, the companions comment on some dialogs here and there and then there are the companion quests you would miss out on (e.g. Edér, Aloth, Pellegina, etc.).

Yay, my badge :3

Durance is probably the most interesting RPG character since Dak'kon (PS:T is worth playing for the Dak'kon dialogue alone) in my view. Sagani's also very cool and the companion characters all seem to feed into the story's big theme in their own way.

You would miss out on at least one different outcome in a quest in Dyrford, which involves the Grieving Mother, but that's just if you want to have the best possible outcomes for all quests.

You get that special outcome if you are a cipher, as well.

Thanks for all your replies.

Since I can only pick five of the eight available companions which would you recommend to join my party (I'm playing a barbarian but that shouldn't matter) to get the most out of the game story- and quest-wise?

Grieving Mother, Durance, and the druid whose name I can't freaking spell. They are the best story and dialogue wise, IMHO. Although Eder is pretty awesome, too, and provides a very cynical point of view on a lot of the religious bacground.

Edited by Katarack21
  • Like 1

Eder is a great tank, so he is useful as well as entertaining.

Durance can also be used as a mechanic, if needed (but the Mother does it better, imho)

I really liked the Paladin Pallagrina or something like that. Definitely recommend her. 

You can switch the companions during the game. After about ~20-25% of the game you get your own Castle and there you can easily change your party roster (casting some NPCs aside and then MAYBE pick them up again later...they get some passive XP so it is not horrible to do that)

(theoretically you can do this also earlier in the first inn, but the Castle/Stronhold is much more convenient for it).

So, just pick them up, get a feel for them, maybe complete the first part of their quest....and cast them aside in your stronghold when you no longer want them (I immediately dropped the Ranger and Druid there...and also the Chanter after I no longer needed the free skeletons to survive fights. But in retrospect I probably could have left the Wizard there as well).

• Like 1

Great, thank you. I already considered to travel with Durance, Edér, Grieving Mother and Hiravias most of the time. But I can't decide for a fifth companion. I like those types of characters with a somewhat "dark" and mysterious background. Which one of the remaining four characters provides such a thing?

Aloth, definitely Aloth out of those 4 if mysterious is what you're looking for.

The Ranger, Palla....the Paladin (I cant ever remember her name) and Kana are not too mysterious / dark. I definitely like the Paladins story though, Kana is fun but doesnt offer too much in terms of RP / extraquests. The Ranger seemed really boring to me.

Hi everybody,

I'm currently planning my party setup. I'd love to play solo or with a party full of non-casters because I can't stand micro-managing (all those spells). But I'm afraid that I'll miss out on a lot of good companions quests, dialogues, equipment (?), etc.

So, my questions to you are:

A) How would you rate the impact of the eight companions the game has to offer from a pure subjective standpoint?

B) Do you have some good examples of that kind of stuff a player without companions would miss (without too much spoilers)?

Thanks in advance.

Aloth is actually the companion most strongly connected to the plot, though it'll take awhile for the player to learn what his deal is.

Durance and the Grieving Mother also have personal stakes in the plot, but not as much as Aloth. Still, they'll try to force their way into your party.

Eder, Kana Rua, Hiravias, Sagani, and Pellagina sort of just wander into the party, with personal quests that really have nothing to do with the main plot. (Though Kana's plot connects to the main one.)

As for actual dialogue...

Pretty much all of them but Aloth has loads of information on the setting. Aloth is a foreigner like you, and starts with almost no dialogue. "Oh, yeah, the Aedyr empire. It's... still around. Want to keep going?" 

All of them will take part in scenes, so you're not going to forget about them or anything. Eder and Aloth have the most snarky comments, it seems, but then again, I use them the most.

Good, good, I like Aloth a lot (from a story perspective, not so much in terms of gameplay). So far there's only one companion I don't like - or at least I don't how I feel about him yet: Durance. I absolutely can't stand his mentality but I'd probably miss some great dialogues if I kick him out of the group.

A) Impact = 0.
B) A lot. While they don't impact the critpath itself, aside of the lore dump they do on you - companions really feel organic. Some might claim they are not memorable, some might claim they are bland. But one thing Obsidian did right - they feel organic. Not only existing to fulfill your desires; they are there and it can be felt - having their little quips in conversations, banter (though it mostly triggers in defiance bay for me..) and so on. Pretty immersive they are/

You will not lose anything if you start the first time with hired adventurers only. You will feel what have been lost once playing with real companions and then playing again with braindead automatons that adventurers are.

• Like 1