How do I walk? (As in not run)

Tired of my guys constantly running in certain areas. Would like to switch to walking it increases my immersion. Nothing breaks immersion more than a group of people constantly jogging and running around when you normally wouldn't do that.

It has been decided by the Politburo of the Supreme Soviet at Obsidian, that walking isn't fun, and you certainly want to be moving as fast as possible through the map.

Also, you are the only person in the world who doesn't walk. Don't you feel special?

Seriously, I was asking for walking by default during the beta. I was being un-fun.

A Custom Editor for Deadfire's Data:
eFoHp9V.png

In my case I can´t stand games with overloaded interfaces and tons of floating numbers. I don´t ever bother trying, no matter the quality of the game.This isn´t the case with Poe, since there are many options to hide ui elements, but regarding this other "minor thing"  we are talking about, it´s a potencial gamebreaking too.

I think people are starting to use the word “gamebreaking” to broadly nowadays...

It´s called suspension of disbelief, and it works different for each person.

While this is true, it is useless information. It works different for each person? well, then I can't believe I'm in a fantasy world unless there are anthropomorphic penguins everywhere. So, who do they fix it for? The person who needs walking, or the person who needs anthropomorphic penguins?

And yes, that's a purposely silly example. You can laugh about it, but it doesn't change the point:

Humans can want/desire anything for any reason at all. You can't make a video game meet subjective needs, because they're all different. Sure, you want it to meet some of them, but they have to already be in-line with what the design of the game already is, for objective reasons.

I'm not saying having walking in the game is contrary to the objective design of the game. But the "necessity" of walking being in the game is a subjective necessity. You can't say it needs to be there for immersion, while simultaneously emphasizing how subjective immersion is. Unless you argue that each and every little thing that any players of the game decide "needs" to be in the game, should be in the game on principle.

Also, as I've already mentioned, if you're overly sensitive to such things, and need flawlessness in your game's immersion factor or your play is ruined, then you probably should be EXTREMELY selective with your game-purchasing habits. If I'm terrified of germs, I'm not going to go into a public restaurant and demand that they bleach everything immediately to meet my needs. I'm probably just going to stay in my own, personal, germ-controlled environment where I can eat meals with satisfaction. It's understandable that public places are going to have germs, just as it's understandable that our video game technology is not at the level to eliminate any-and-all immersion-breaking factors (much less for everyone's subjective needs).

That is not an insult. There's nothing wrong with people who have a fear of germs (going back to that example). But, I would tell those people not to keep facilitating the ruining of their own experiences and blaming it on the things that are understandably the way they are.

• Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

It´s called suspension of disbelief, and it works different for each person.

While this is true, it is useless information. It works different for each person? well, then I can't believe I'm in a fantasy world unless there are anthropomorphic penguins everywhere. So, who do they fix it for? The person who needs walking, or the person who needs anthropomorphic penguins?

And yes, that's a purposely silly example. You can laugh about it, but it doesn't change the point:

What point? The rest of your post makes no sense.

We are asking for our characters to be able to walk. Since they are humanoids in a roleplaying game, I think it´s a reasonable petition. Why do you have a problem with that?

I don't. No one's against your petition, really. Obsidian's not like "Man, whatever we do, player characters will NEVER WALK! I SWEAR IT UPON THE BEARD OF SAWYER!"

Let me recap, to clarify:

You said "Why can't we walk?", and people said "Because it's not in yet. It's not a huge deal." To which you replied "Uh huh! It's a mega-huge deal!". I then explained how it isn't really that big of a deal, if we're measuring deals. And you took it upon yourself to tell me how what's a huge deal is different for different people. So I explained how that very line of thought doesn't really help the reasoning behind how to prioritize what to put into the game, because it would result in everything anyone ever wanted in the game becoming #1 priority.

I don't know what doesn't make sense to you, but if you could elaborate, I'd be glad to try harder to make sense of it, as I apparently did not present my point well enough.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

No. Logic/reality does. I can measure a tall person, and measure a short person, and give you their heights, but I didn't make their relationship what it is. The "short" person could be relatively tall to an even shorter person, but that doesn't make him "a tall person," because the average height of humans is what determines that.

With this game, the impact walking would have on the average player's gameplay experience is what determines the bigness of a deal being able to walk is. I'm just pointing that out to you.

I'm not telling you what is and isn't a big deal to you, but that's not what Obsidian has to go off of for prioritizing their addendums to the game. Otherwise, as I said, how on earthwould they order things? WHOSE big deal would get priority over someone else's?

If I were never born, the information I'm relaying to you would be the same. My brain did not invent it.

Edited by Lephys

It is possible to be able to be turned on with some command from the ~ menu since it is already in

(minor spoilers)

When you enter the first village for the first time you walk for a time

..hope I did the spoilers right...

• Like 1

Honestly, I think part of it is that if walking is your biggest concern about the game, the game is obviously fine. If it breaks immersion so much..well I dont know what to tell you. I think the reason they didnt include it was because people like to move quickly across the maps. I know in baldurs gate I always cheated in 6 boots of speed for my party so I could move across maps faster.

Although I will admit, itd be cool to walk around civilian areas/buildings/stores instead of running all the time (preferable just to have the option to set that up, or permenant walking, or whatever, especially if they already have the animations for it...). However, I think, as others have said, they have bigger concerns than that right now. Although walking is something I probably wouldn't even notice, as immersion was never really a big deal to me, and I dont really roleplay my characters a whole lot. (I enjoy roleplaying games because the stories are generally better, but I don't really roleplay a character, other than like good or evil. Been trying to for a while now, and plan to for PoE, but maybe I'm just not imaginative/creative/focused enough for that...) :no:

With this game, the impact walking would have on the average player's gameplay experience is what determines the bigness of a deal being able to walk is. I'm just pointing that out to you.

Fine. Now we only need to know what the average player thinks about it.

But note that the average player of  Pillars of Eternity may not be the same than the average player of League of Legends. Just guessing.

We already do. Look around the forum. The mods are having to close and merge threads left-and-right that involve complaints about "problems" with the game. Some of them achieve 17 pages in a single day. Yet, this one has basically consisted of yourself and others (myself included) arguing back and forth about the importance of walking, while the vast majority of people on both "sides" of the argument (I don't even think this is an issue worthy of sides, really) are basically saying "Yeah, it wouldn't be un-nice if walking were in there, but it's not really stopping us from playing the game or anything."

So, you seem to be in the minority regarding the quality of your gameplay experience being near-ruined solely by the fact that your party never moves in a walking fashion anywhere.

And just for the record, "You're in the minority" is merely a statistical observation. It in no way means "Haha, you lose and I win," or "your opinion is wrong." An opinion can only be wrong when it contests fact, and yours does not do that.

You are perfectly entitled to your opinion. I am sincerely sorry that the lack of walking is affecting your game so poorly. But, it is not reasonable for Obsidian to "hop right on that" when it's not really affecting anyone else to enough of a degree to jump on the forums and stress its necessary priority.

Lastly, just as a reminder, I am not affiliated with anyone else in this forum. So, just because I happen to be sharing a point or "side" with someone else who's posted in here, do not assume that our attitudes or points are the same. (That's why I hate when an argument turns into "sides"). Some people might have told you in a rude fashion that walking isn't a big deal, or even attacked your personal opinion of the importance of walking. I, however, have done neither, nor do I wish to. Your opinion is your own, and it is not wrong, and I am sorry that these things are priority-based, and that this isn't a higher-priority issue, because it means that you have to put up with it until it is changed. In an ideal world, we'd all get our priority stuff fixed immediately, and/or would simply never have to put up with it in the first place.

Edit: Oh yeh, there was that one dude who said he just couldn't play the game unless there was walk in it. Most people found that kinda funny.

Well that's just silly. I'm not going to stop playing the game over it. It's definitely a prevalent annoyance for me though.

Perfect, and I ain't lyin'! :Cant's bad pun icon:

Oops, got confused. I'll have to read this one from the beginning

You're tags were perfect, lyin321.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

It is possible to be able to be turned on with some command from the ~ menu since it is already in

(minor spoilers)

that's very interesting anyone knows the command?

(minor spoilers)

that's very interesting anyone knows the command?

O RLY?

So....

How do I immersion ? 

Tired of tearing around passively enjoying the heck out of the story/combat/scenery. I demand the next level! 

Are you gonna throw rocks at me? What about now?

What about now?

Pretty sure we have the definitive answer on this one by now.

• Lots of people don't understand why it is important to others, or just don't care if they do understand.
  • Quite a few people do want it, and it doesn't seem hard to do. It would be reasonable to be patched into the game's support period unless there is some arcane codey-wodey reason that it is super hard outside cutscenes.
  • There are many game-breaking issues that come first. Players with broken save games are more important than walking.

Edit: Oh yeh, there was that one dude who said he just couldn't play the game unless there was walk in it. Most people found that kinda funny.

Regarding your second point, it requires new animations for every player-controllable model, which is non-trivial. I'm not an animator so maybe there are templates that can be used, I'm not sure, but new animations seems like a non-trivial effort.

Edited by bobthe

^ It doesn't actually require new ones, since the models DO walk in "cutscenes," and NPCs walk around. 8P

So it's even less trouble than making all new ones. But, yes, I would assume walking animations are amongst the easier-to-make animations, in the spectrum of all possible animations.