How do I walk? (As in not run)

How do you run in Baldur's Gate? It broke my immersion having my guys casually slow stepping without urgency whilst maneuvering during battle.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

If you're worried about in-game justification, just remember, the world is at risk. If you walk around everywhere you're a very lazy adventurer.

Personal preferences aside, there is no "run/walk" mode that I am aware of, but there is "half speed" and "double speed". The difference is that these settings affect everything, not just your non-combat movement speed. But if you want a slower pace just use half-speed. Or enter sneak mode which is really just slower movement. Personally I am almost always in double-speed when not in combat, especially since sneaking slows you down. Double-speed sneak-mode FTW.

Personal preferences aside, there is no "run/walk" mode that I am aware of, but there is "half speed" and "double speed". The difference is that these settings affect everything, not just your non-combat movement speed. But if you want a slower pace just use half-speed. Or enter sneak mode which is really just slower movement. Personally I am almost always in double-speed when not in combat, especially since sneaking slows you down. Double-speed sneak-mode FTW.

Well thats dumb... why can't it be like Fallout 1 or 2 where you can walk or run? I hope they add it in the upcoming patch.

You can't walk and if you mention you want it everyone attacks you in this forum

And calls you an idiot for wanting it

Why would they do that? We can't all agree that CRPG's like this should allow a toggle between running and walking? Fallout 1 and 2 did it and nobody complained. It just seems like an overlooked feature or something. Hopefully the upcoming patch adds it.

• Like 2

You can't walk and if you mention you want it everyone attacks you in this forum

Why would they do that? We can't all agree that CRPG's like this should allow a toggle between running and walking? Fallout 1 and 2 did it and nobody complained. It just seems like an overlooked feature or something. Hopefully the upcoming patch adds it.

No, you will never get everyone to agree that this should be an option. It's just a difference in preference. That doesn't mean I would complain if it was added though...I think it's perfectly reasonable as far as features go, I just personally do not consider it necessary as I prefer to always be in "run" mode.

I also think the half and double speed settings, combined with the sneak ability, provides more than sufficient capability for the requested feature. Why does it have to explicitly be called "walk"? What if there was a mode called "walk" that changed the animation to a more walking-like animation but actually had the same movement speed? I'm just a bit confused as to why the current features are not sufficient.

I'm just a bit confused as to why the current features are not sufficient.

The bottom line for me is immersion. My group of adventurers are not going to constantly run in every situation. Especially if they're "walking" through town or "walking" through a store. I notice it and it eats at me and breaks the immersion. I suppose its cool that it doesn't bother some people, but it definitely bothers me and a search reveals that I'm not the only one.

There's nothing wrong with desiring a walk-toggle. But, it was admittedly a very low priority thing on their To-Do List for getting the game out the door. Since NPCs and such already have walk animations, I'd say it'd be pretty easy to add in later. But, I wouldn't expect anything until they've tackled some bigger issues.

Yes, being able to walk around can support immersiveness, but it's rather minor, in all fairness, as there are plenty of other things that go un-simulated in these games and we don't even think twice about them.

• Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Faustianechoes your not alone at all. Many people have stressed the importance of walking

But your questions are not welcome in these forums. just a warning so you don't get stampeded by

People saying your stupid for asking for it

Well I'm not petty enough to get into an argument with other people over it. I know what I like and I know what I've seen in other games and I know what works. Not going to waste my time arguing about it, I'm too busy playing the game. It's just an annoyance, not a game breaker.

Yes, being able to walk around can support immersiveness, but it's rather minor, in all fairness, as there are plenty of other things that go un-simulated in these games and we don't even think twice about them.

Inmersion is not a minor thing, it´s everything, it´s what makes a game enjoyable. As a creator, any good one should avoid inmersion breakers like a plague. They are the equivalent of raccord mistakes in movies. You may not notice that parked car in the background of a medieval film, but someone could see it and ruin the scene for him.

• Like 1

I would disagree that immersion is "everything," or we wouldn't even have UI's or mouse controls. We'd only have virtual reality games.

BUT, I was merely saying that being able to walk is a minor thing, as it is only one little detail that contributes to immersion. People COULD run everywhere. It's not actually infeasible to "always" run. You couldn't do it forever without stopping to rest, but then, the game doesn't accurately measure your stamina/fatigue anyway, so... that's one of the many things that isn't immersive, the second you think about it. Just like the fact that you're typing on a keyboard or clicking with a mouse, or that there are character portraits floating up in the air, attached to a window of buttons overlooking your characters.

People who say "immersion is dumb" or it doesn't exist are silly people, but the whole purpose of a video game isn't "immersion!". There's an understandable level of non-immersion in any video game.

If everyone glided around without moving their bodies or legs, that would be much more detrimental, for example, than "Oh noes! I can't walk around!". Doesn't mean it would't still be a positive thing to be able to walk around, but in regard to necessity, it's quite low on the totem pole. If you can't acknowledge that, then I'm uncertain as to how you enjoy any game ever, what with all the non-immersive elements I've already mentioned.

• Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Pretty sure we have the definitive answer on this one by now.

• Lots of people don't understand why it is important to others, or just don't care if they do understand.
  • Quite a few people do want it, and it doesn't seem hard to do. It would be reasonable to be patched into the game's support period unless there is some arcane codey-wodey reason that it is super hard outside cutscenes.
  • There are many game-breaking issues that come first. Players with broken save games are more important than walking.

Edit: Oh yeh, there was that one dude who said he just couldn't play the game unless there was walk in it. Most people found that kinda funny.

Edited by Hogfather

I would disagree that immersion is "everything," or we wouldn't even have UI's or mouse controls. We'd only have virtual reality games.

BUT, I was merely saying that being able to walk is a minor thing, as it is only one little detail that contributes to immersion. People COULD run everywhere. It's not actually infeasible to "always" run. You couldn't do it forever without stopping to rest, but then, the game doesn't accurately measure your stamina/fatigue anyway, so... that's one of the many things that isn't immersive, the second you think about it. Just like the fact that you're typing on a keyboard or clicking with a mouse, or that there are character portraits floating up in the air, attached to a window of buttons overlooking your characters.

People who say "immersion is dumb" or it doesn't exist are silly people, but the whole purpose of a video game isn't "immersion!". There's an understandable level of non-immersion in any video game.

If everyone glided around without moving their bodies or legs, that would be much more detrimental, for example, than "Oh noes! I can't walk around!". Doesn't mean it would't still be a positive thing to be able to walk around, but in regard to necessity, it's quite low on the totem pole. If you can't acknowledge that, then I'm uncertain as to how you enjoy any game ever, what with all the non-immersive elements I've already mentioned.

It´s called suspension of disbelief, and it works different for each person. I know people who can´t enjoy sci-fi films because imaginary technology breaks it for them.

In my case I can´t stand games with overloaded interfaces and tons of floating numbers. I don´t ever bother trying, no matter the quality of the game.This isn´t the case with Poe, since there are many options to hide ui elements, but regarding this other "minor thing"  we are talking about, it´s a potencial gamebreaking too. It could be the tombs with stupid quotes, the backer NPCs, some clipping issues or any other graphic element that many people compain about and I could care less, but each time I enter in a tavern or crowded building and my group is still running, something makes click in my head. it shouldn´t be so difficult to understand 

Edited by Vanant
  • Like 1