Found the game by chance... Wow!

I am a huge Baldur's Gate and Planescape:Torment fan. To this day they are in my top five favorite games of all times list. Then I found this guy playing it.

https://youtu.be/DmyYDIgjU6Q

I was blown away. The game looks amazing. How did I not know about it? I'm glad to see Obsidian created it, I've loved all their games, from Sith Lords to Stick of Truth, and this game has me so excited... more excited than I've been in a long time.

Thank you Obsidian. I'm so glad old school CRPGs aren't dead. I cannot wait to buy Pillars of Eternity game.

Also, if there are any hints and tips you guys can give a fresh player, such as myself, I'd really appreciate it. :no:

Edited by Azjenco
  • Like 6

A great Let's Play that exposed me to PoE and got me hooked.

Give it a look and enjoy!! :yes:

Also with a detailed character creation to boot.

I learned about the game when GOG sent me an e-mail telling me that it was out.  This is the sort of game I adore, and I wish I'd known about the Kickstarter campaign.  I'm glad to know about it now, though! 

Planescape: Torment is my second-favorite game ever (after the FIRST Witcher game), and I'm thrilled to see a fresh, new take on the old, classic game.  I'm a middle-aged woman, so I like turn-based games; they repay middle-aged insight without penalizing middle-aged reflexes. ;)

• Like 1

I learned about the game when GOG sent me an e-mail telling me that it was out.  This is the sort of game I adore, and I wish I'd known about the Kickstarter campaign.  I'm glad to know about it now, though! 

Planescape: Torment is my second-favorite game ever (after the FIRST Witcher game), and I'm thrilled to see a fresh, new take on the old, classic game.  I'm a middle-aged woman, so I like turn-based games; they repay middle-aged insight without penalizing middle-aged reflexes. ;)

if you were REALLY a middle aged woman you'd know that Torment should be first on that list.

I kid.. (but really, torment should be first on that shortlist)

• Like 1

- How can I live my life if I can't even tell good from evil?

- Eh, they're both fine choices. Whatever floats your boat. 

Enjoy! :D

Do yourself a favor and stay away from these forums for a while except to check for game-breaking bugs that you should avoid. They're chock-full of lots of people complaining and nitpicking about little things, and you don't want to let that ruin your enjoyment of the game (which is truly somewhat of a masterpiece). Not that some of the complaints or suggestions aren't valid (I have my own) - but PoE really is a fantastic game, and you shouldn't let reading about each individual person's bugbear or design choice they don't like affect your impression of the game.

Re: those aforementioned game-breaking bugs... don't ever equip things by double clicking (drag/drop instead), and don't save/reload in zones that you've recruited characters from. At least til the first patch. Don't do those two things and you should be fine. ;)

EDIT: Also, from what I've played so far the story is quite Torment-ish in its twistedness. Mix that with IWD inspired combat and BG inspired worldbuilding/companions, and you've got a fantastic successor to the IE games.

You should check out Torment: Tides of Numenera as well if you haven't heard of it already. I call it PoE's "sister" game - a fellow spiritual successor to the IE games (this one focuses specifically on the "Torment" feel). Still in development for quite a while, but what we've seen looks great.  :)

Edited by Matt516
  • Like 3

Enjoy! :D

They're chock-full of lots of people complaining and nitpicking about little things, and you don't want to let that ruin your enjoyment of the game (which is truly somewhat of a masterpiece).

Agreed; anybody (me included) can find stuff to pick at, plus you'll always have the crowd who thinks RPG means "shooter with stat points".  But step back and look at the big picture: this is the best RPG that's come out in a looong time.  I'd almost say it revived a dead genre, except that the last year or two have seen a small resurgence, with Wasteland 2 and D:OS (though I believe PoE is better than either of those).

So to Azienco: PoE is great, especially if you liked BG.  Real similar feel.

what email?

GOG sent an advertisement email out to their mailing list for Eternity.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

what email?

I got an e-mail from GOG, but it may be because I bought Baldur's Gate from them; I don't know if they mailed everyone on their list or just known buyers of classic RPG's.

what email?

I got an e-mail from GOG, but it may be because I bought Baldur's Gate from them; I don't know if they mailed everyone on their list or just known buyers of classic RPG's.

Screenshot anyone?

You should check out Torment: Tides of Numenera as well if you haven't heard of it already. I call it PoE's "sister" game - a fellow spiritual successor to the IE games (this one focuses specifically on the "Torment" feel). Still in development for quite a while, but what we've seen looks great.  :)

Oh. I will definitely give it a look. It sounds really promising, so I hope they can capture the original feel right. I'm so glad that the old school CRPGs are still being kept alive.

A great Let's Play that exposed me to PoE and got me hooked.

Give it a look and enjoy!! :yes:

Also with a detailed character creation to boot.