Well, not to be pedantic but legally a corporation is in fact a separate entity from the people who make it up. That's literally the entire purpose of incorporating--the entity that you create is legally a distinct person with it's own legal personality. If I say I hate EA, that does not mean I hate the people who make up EA because the two are distinct, separate entities.

True, but that legal entity is just a human, intangible construct. It doesn't make bad games. People do. And unless they're a hivemind, it's about 5% people making decisions, and 95% people just doing their jobs according to those decisions.

I can't really think of anyone who actually hates the entire chunk of people that is EA, despite what people might say. "Nuh uh, I really do!". Nope.

The only way the statement doesn't work is if you insist on conflating EA with its employees.  EA - any company - is more than simply the people working for it.  It's the philosophy, the business practices, the history, etc. 

"And no, the "it's EA's fault" excuse doesn't help me since EA gave Bioware a lot of freedom"

This is a blatant lie. Everything BIO has done is 100%  EA's doing because EA is BIO. This is fact. That's good and bad depending on how one views their games but EA owns BIO so they make the final call. PERIOD.

I don't know the dev cycle of DA3, but DA2 has some pretty ridiculous horror stories that honestly do border on the doomsday posts people usually make.

How do I explain this?

I don't hate Joe Schmow working in Cubicle #634 on Project X. I *do* hate the corporate entity that he works for. I can hate EA and not hate the employeeds of EA, because EA--as an entity--is a separate thing from the people working their. You don't need a hivemind to create that, you just need to understand that an organization is not the same as it's employees.

Wonderful ,that means that the industry does recognize the relative success of this game. It might shift the balance even more towards the development of smarter role playing games!

BTW ,another sign that shows that many people really liked this game is the newfound success of NVN2 in GOG ,people who loves this game are now searching for other Obsidians' titles so the game is now number 6 in GOG. Maybe now we will have a new DnD titles as well!

• Like 1

troll.gifseatroll.gificetroll.giftroll.gif

An ex-biophysicist but currently Studying Schwarzschild singularities' black holes' Hawking radiation using LAZORS and hypersonic sound wave models.

My main objective is to use my results to take over the world!

Fine. I strongly dislike humanity. See how useful that is?

I really just dislike certain things that certain people do and not all the things that all humans do.

Nowadays, it's really, really easy to "hate" a whole company, as if it's one thing. And, we apparently don't have time to bother with details, so it's easier to just make a binary decision about an entire group of people than to acknowledge that there's at least some good mixed in with the bad. If I wanted to "fix" DA:I, for example, I wouldn't have to start from scratch and do the exact opposite of everything they did. I would only have to change some things.

Anywho, people can do as they please, obviously. I just wish more people would act less like children about everything. "My life is ruined, because BIOWARE! T___T". No. No it isn't.

Seriously. I get not liking what Bioware does nowadays (even if I personally like it just as much as games like PoE, I know burn the heretic) but the way loads of people go around with it (not just here, the Codex is also a hotbed) you'd think people who are so up in arms about wanting mechanical depth and less romance content wouldn't act like whiny manchildren.

And the ''it's just a joke, yall', attitude is not much better. Even if it is true, that hate is so played out, it's just not funny anymore.

Bioware makes a certain style of RPGs. Obsidian makes another. I like both, and I'm glad I don't have to choose between the two like some people seem to think I should. These two studios have influenced each other far more than people think, and I'm certain they have a lot of respect for their respective work, far more than bitter forumites do. Also I'm jealous because I lack cookies and cookies make everything better.

• Like 4

Are they three different colors?  :biggrin:

****ers donated all the ME3 cakes the fans sent to Bioware as part of the retake campaign because of the most terrible last 5 minutes to a game whatsoever (and the intro to ME3 is just as bad IMO), but they sure could spare these cookies to show their envy to obsidian :D

YOU ARE NOT FOOLING ANYONE BIOWARE, all your good old devs have bailed your company, specially the man behind the company itself, Drew Karpyshyn. Bioware is but a shadow of what it once was, EA has taken the lead into mainstreamness.

Cdprojekt Red, Obsidian and Bethesda are now the kings of the hill... FEAR ME

Edited by Wulfburk
  • Like 1

And the ''it's just a joke, yall', attitude is not much better. Even if it is true, that hate is so played out, it's just not funny anymore.

Same with people voting EA as the worst company in America, having people laugh at them for doing so, and then saying "uh, it was a joke". 

Well that was cool of Bioware to do that. I'll bet some of the staff at Bioware are secretly envious of Obsidian returning to the roots of making good RPGs and not having a publisher hanging over them. I just want this to be Obsidian's time to shine and hope PoE brings enough success that they can continue making games in this genre.

• Like 3

I'll bet some of the staff at Bioware are secretly envious of Obsidian returning to the roots of making good RPGs and not having a publisher hanging over them.

Why do people care so much about this bull****?

• Like 1

Same with people voting EA as the worst company in America, having people laugh at them for doing so, and then saying "uh, it was a joke". 

Don't get me started on that bullcrap. Loads of companies in the US do incredibly shady stuff, such as embezzling billions of dollars, laying off thousands of workers while giving the suits golden parachutes and bonuses, or hiring mercenaries in order to kill people and protect their interests in foreign lands.

But sure, the worst company in American is totally the one that makes video games you don't like! /sarcasm off.

I have no lost love for EA at all, but the frothing hatred is just silly.

Edited by Jasta11
  • Like 4

There should be a certain point where people should stop and examine why they feel such levels of of loathe and spite towards a developer of recreational media and whether it's really warranted. Because I swear based on some of the reactions I've seen, if I used my Watcher powers to peer at some of ya'lls souls I'd probably see a ambulatory Bioware logo kicking a door down, snatching a baby from a crib and eating it in front of its parents.

I think it's a sweet thing to do, no more and no less.

• Like 3

I just saw said cookies ... or remnants thereof fwiiw. Cookies were well received and I have comfortably returned to the Roost knowing all is well in the land of Eora.

Bioware and OBS have lots of great history ... regardless of any alternative storytelling. Just a reminder too ... please feel free to share critiques and opinions in the sandbox, but throwing the sand just makes work for the Squad ... and I'm rather lazy ... which means they have to do it all and that means grumpy Mods ;)

off to the Roost cookie-monster-style>

• Like 4

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

Couldn't have said this better myself:

considering bioware , obsidian. black isle and interplay used to work together.

thant's a nice gesture

I see the green dragon beat me to it, so I'll just shut up and agree with the quoted bit and think it's a nice gesture amongst colleagues in the business of video games (and yes, some of the Bioware people are backers too, helping making this game possible).

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Oh, look its user rating 5.8.

Still a good gesture, more respect to them.

Derpdragon of the Obsidian Order

Derpdragons everywhere. I like spears.

No sleep for the Watcher... because he was busy playing Pillars of Eternity instead.

Like Walder Frey sending Bran Stark a birthday cake

And here we go.

"How dare one company send another a gift!"

joke
[johk]

noun
something said or done to provoke laughter or cause amusement, as a witticism, a short and amusing anecdote, or a prankish act:
He tells very funny jokes. She played a joke on him.
something that is amusing or ridiculous, especially because of being ludicrously inadequate or a sham; a thing, situation, or person laughed at rather than taken seriously; farce:
Their pretense of generosity is a joke. An officer with no ability to command is a joke.
a matter that need not be taken very seriously; trifling matter:
The loss was no joke.
something that does not present the expected challenge; something very easy:
The test was a joke for the whole class.
verb (used without object), joked, joking.
to speak or act in a playful or merry way:
He was always joking with us.
to say something in fun or teasing rather than in earnest; be facetious:
He didn't really mean it, he was only joking.
verb (used with object), joked, joking.
to subject to jokes; make fun of; tease.
to obtain by joking:
The comedian joked coins from the audience.
Origin

1660-1670
1660-70; < Latin jocus jest
Related forms

jokeless, adjective
jokingly, adverb
half-joking, adjective
half-jokingly, adverb
unjoking, adjective

Synonyms

1. wisecrack, gag, jape, prank, quip, quirk, sally, raillery. Joke, jest refer to something said (or done) in sport, or to cause amusement. A joke is something said or done for the sake of exciting laughter; it may be raillery, a witty remark, or a prank or trick: to tell a joke. Jest, today a more formal word, nearly always refers to joking language and is more suggestive of scoffing or ridicule than is joke : to speak in jest.

Dictionary.com Unabridged

Based on the Random House Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2015.

sonsofgygax.JPG

That's actually quite decent of Bioware. I don't think there's any bad blood between the two companies, not at all. They approach their games in very different ways, but I can imagine that there's a sort of friendly camaraderie between both sides.

A great Let's Play that exposed me to PoE and got me hooked.

Give it a look and enjoy!! :yes:

Also with a detailed character creation to boot.

joke

brain

Thing you switch on before saying something, to gauge how it will be understood and received, and whether what you're about to say needs to be said.

---

Nothing personal, but this is the internet. There's enough people who at least want to give the impression that they're meaning what they're saying.

• Like 1

Therefore I have sailed the seas and come

To the holy city of Byzantium. -W.B. Yeats

Χριστός ἀνέστη!

That's actually quite decent of Bioware. I don't think there's any bad blood between the two companies, not at all. They approach their games in very different ways, but I can imagine that there's a sort of friendly camaraderie between both sides.

There certainly isn't any bad blood (why the heck would there be? These are grown-up professionals, not axe-grinding CRPG opinion-havers), and to be honest, they don't actually approach their games all that differently, if you look at Obsidian's general body of work, esp. pre-Kickstarter. Bioware have a lot more money, that's the main difference.

Honestly, playing through Pillars, I could very easily see it as having been written by Bioware on a good day (for all the DA2 hate, there's a remarkable similarity in tone/style to it, though Pillars is a bit more edgy/rough, and DA2 a bit more charming/mannered).

• Like 1