Bioware were the reason why we could no longer have proper RPGs all the way until Pillars of Eternity. 

Bioware is the reason Pillars of Eternity exists, as well. You can't look at just one side of things and make opinions from that.

You misspelled Black Isle

You mispelled Bioware. You spell it like this: "Bioware designed and invented the Infinity Engine to make BG and BG II, and the engine was then used by Black Isle to make other games--these games together are the RPG era which we loved and are entirely dependant on Bioware making those two great games and their engine being used to make others."

Spelling is important!

• Like 2

Really? 

Deekin Scalesinger, I don't think anyone is that serious about what they wrote here. You're reading way too far into it, sure some people may marginally feel the way that you're accusing them of, but keep in mind it's slightly difficult to interpret intent through text.

Ah so the misconception that Bioware somehow killed RPG's isnt real then.  Its just a big running joke, rather than a story weaved by manchildren?

Ya got me!

Boy is my face red!

No, the misconception is that anyone that makes any kind of joke is 100% serious 100% of the time. Why is criticism suddenly a baseless "story" that has been "weaved" by manchildren, can't it just be criticism? There's no hidden agenda, this isn't a red pill vs. blue pill thing as much as people want to make it out to be.

Can't we all just agree we hate EA instead?  That's a good compromise, right?

Nobody hates EA. People hate many of the decisions that key members of EA have made, and maybe the fact that they're often more worried about shareholders than they are about creativity and game design potential. I don't hate the guy who sat at a desk for 11 hours a day texturing character models to make a living for his family.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

You mispelled Bioware. You spell it like this: "Bioware designed and invented the Infinity Engine to make BG and BG II, and the engine was then used by Black Isle to make other games--these games together are the RPG era which we loved and are entirely dependant on Bioware making those two great games and their engine being used to make others."

Spelling is important!

And yet you are talking as if the company stayed the same over time, while it didn't...Ray Muzika isn't even working there anymore. So no Obsidian doesn't owe jack to Bioware.

Really? 

Deekin Scalesinger, I don't think anyone is that serious about what they wrote here. You're reading way too far into it, sure some people may marginally feel the way that you're accusing them of, but keep in mind it's slightly difficult to interpret intent through text.

Ah so the misconception that Bioware somehow killed RPG's isnt real then.  Its just a big running joke, rather than a story weaved by manchildren?

Ya got me!

Boy is my face red!

No, the misconception is that anyone that makes any kind of joke is 100% serious 100% of the time. Why is criticism suddenly a baseless "story" that has been "weaved" by manchildren, can't it just be criticism? There's no hidden agenda, this isn't a red pill vs. blue pill thing as much as people want to make it out to be.

Oh ok my bad.

Glad it was all a joke then.

Spelling is important!

And yet you are talking as if the company stayed the same over time, while it didn't...Ray Muzika isn't even working there anymore. So no Obsidian doesn't owe jack to Bioware.

Not everybody left. There are still people there who worked there before. The company changed when EA bought it; blame EA and the bull**** they've done to Bioware, blame Bioware, blame whoever you want. But to act like Bioware is the worst enemy to RPG's in the world--to ignore the great work they've done and their brilliant contributions to our hobby--is just ignorance and spite.

There's nothing more to it. I love Bioware and I love the games they've made. I don't play their more recent games because they're not my type. That's all I have to say.

Can't we all just agree we hate EA instead?  That's a good compromise, right?

Nobody hates EA. People hate many of the decisions that key members of EA have made, and maybe the fact that they're often more worried about shareholders than they are about creativity and game design potential. I don't hate the guy who sat at a desk for 11 hours a day texturing character models to make a living for his family.

No, pretty sure I hate EA.

Now I have a big urge/want some cookies. Thanks a lot.

• Like 4
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Not everybody left. There are still people there who worked there before. The company changed when EA bought it; blame EA and the bull**** they've done to Bioware, blame Bioware, blame whoever you want. But to act like Bioware is the worst enemy to RPG's in the world--to ignore the great work they've done and their brilliant contributions to our hobby--is just ignorance and spite.

There's nothing more to it. I love Bioware and I love the games they've made. I don't play their more recent games because they're not my type. That's all I have to say.

True, not everybody, but a lot of important people. As for calling them the "creators of Baldur's Gate" is far fetched since the studio changed so much, it would be like having a new company called Troika with few of the remaining guys there, give them a completely different publisher and pretend they are the same and thank them for ToEE or Bloodlines. Same names, different companies. And no, the "it's EA's fault" excuse doesn't help me since EA gave Bioware a lot of freedom they hadn't given to any other studio under their clutches, so it is something they did to themselves...it's just hubris, when you have an entire community denying your faults and telling you 24/7 how totally awesome you are, you think you can do no wrong and then start to screw up. Add to it that the fact that said community uses destructive criticism and gives it a spotlight over the valuable criticism (in order to show how evil their detractors are) and you got what happened to them. It doesn't matter that a hundred people complains about ****ty combat mechanics if the only guy getting the spotlight is the redneck who "no want no fagget characters in ma gaem".

I disagree that Bioware killed RPG's, mostly because one company can't kill a genre. It was mostly a concerted effort, Bioware has part of the blame, but so does Atari abusing their D&D license, Troika going bankrupt and Bethesda getting too ambitious for the talent they had. Hell I think Blizzard is guilty of hurting the genre than any of the guys I've talked about here.

I can sympathise with the feeling, but remember that love, is an illusion of the senses, like hate.

Sorry for the long post.

BIO is trying to 'poison' the 'competition'!

That would be my first assumption if I was an Obsidian employee. Id call the police ASAP for suspicious terrorist activity via food poisoning plots.

I sincerely hope no one at Obsidian ate those and that they threw them straight into the garbage.

You're serious.

I have absolutely no doubt that the current Bioware devs are saying "ooooooh HOW can this rock and stone game be considered better than that perfect game called DA:Inquisition WHY OH WHY".

You do know they are people, right, and not cartoon villains?

Again. How DARE people I dislike like people I like!

Edited by Bryy

That would be my first assumption if I was an Obsidian employee. Id call the police ASAP for suspicious terrorist activity via food poisoning plots.

I sincerely hope no one at Obsidian ate those and that they threw them straight into the garbage.

You're serious.

I'd like to believe it's very dry sarcasm.

Nice gesture. I like when I see this kind of stuff.

Troll or not, I believe some people are obtuse enough to not understand that even if people compete, they don’t necessarily hate each other. Bioware and Obsidian are not 2 teenage girls, c’mon people.

You're serious.

I'd like to believe it's very dry sarcasm.

I'd to as well, but this is the internet, and Mungri does have a certain history of posts here.

• Like 1

Fine. I strongly dislike humanity. See how useful that is?

I really just dislike certain things that certain people do and not all the things that all humans do.

Nowadays, it's really, really easy to "hate" a whole company, as if it's one thing. And, we apparently don't have time to bother with details, so it's easier to just make a binary decision about an entire group of people than to acknowledge that there's at least some good mixed in with the bad. If I wanted to "fix" DA:I, for example, I wouldn't have to start from scratch and do the exact opposite of everything they did. I would only have to change some things.

Anywho, people can do as they please, obviously. I just wish more people would act less like children about everything. "My life is ruined, because BIOWARE! T___T". No. No it isn't.

• Like 4

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Fine. I strongly dislike humanity. See how useful that is?

I really just dislike certain things that certain people do and not all the things that all humans do.

Nowadays, it's really, really easy to "hate" a whole company, as if it's one thing. And, we apparently don't have time to bother with details, so it's easier to just make a binary decision about an entire group of people than to acknowledge that there's at least some good mixed in with the bad. If I wanted to "fix" DA:I, for example, I wouldn't have to start from scratch and do the exact opposite of everything they did. I would only have to change some things.

Anywho, people can do as they please, obviously. I just wish more people would act less like children about everything. "My life is ruined, because BIOWARE! T___T". No. No it isn't.

Well, not to be pedantic but legally a corporation is in fact a separate entity from the people who make it up. That's literally the entire purpose of incorporating--the entity that you create is legally a distinct person with it's own legal personality. If I say I hate EA, that does not mean I hate the people who make up EA because the two are distinct, separate entities.

• Like 1

"And no, the "it's EA's fault" excuse doesn't help me since EA gave Bioware a lot of freedom"

This is a blatant lie. Everything BIO has done is 100%  EA's doing because EA is BIO. This is fact. That's good and bad depending on how one views their games but EA owns BIO so they make the final call. PERIOD.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Well, not to be pedantic but legally a corporation is in fact a separate entity from the people who make it up. That's literally the entire purpose of incorporating--the entity that you create is legally a distinct person with it's own legal personality. If I say I hate EA, that does not mean I hate the people who make up EA because the two are distinct, separate entities.

True, but that legal entity is just a human, intangible construct. It doesn't make bad games. People do. And unless they're a hivemind, it's about 5% people making decisions, and 95% people just doing their jobs according to those decisions.

I can't really think of anyone who actually hates the entire chunk of people that is EA, despite what people might say. "Nuh uh, I really do!". Nope.