Kaspersky detected trojan in pillarsofeternity.exe ?

Metamega

So I'm playing and all of a sudden the game quits, and i get these prompts. It's saying it detected "PDM:Trojan.Win32.Generic". The location goes to my pillarsofeternity.exe. I can't seem to find it in the quarantine but it also mentioned something about firewall originally. 

Not sure if this is just a false alarm or should I be concerned? I downloaded the game via steam.

Unless the game is a pirated copy (not saying yours is), you should not have any worries about it. Put the file on your whitelist and continue playing. 

NOD32

One of the best AVs out there at detecting things, and nowhere near the number of false alarms as Kaspersky and many others.

Not really.

Keep Kaspersky.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Those polls are usually a load of crock. Using Eset for a decade now and never had an infected computer with it. It's just as good as any of the alternatives and it's not heavy on the system.

• Like 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

NOD32

One of the best AVs out there at detecting things, and nowhere near the number of false alarms as Kaspersky and many others.

Not really.

Keep Kaspersky.

If you're going to link an AV comparison guide, use a good one, not what you linked.

Monthly reports change insofar as who is at the top in various categories. Overall NOD32 wins the 'false alarm' category as well as the impact on system resources catagory.

The best overall AVs out there over the last few years in regards to protection vs other factors (like false alarms, impact on system resources, invasive/annoying notifications, etc) are (in alpha order) : Bitdefender, F-Secure, Kaspersky, and NOD32. They all offer very good protection and are about equal in this regard. Protection however isn't the only important factor in an AV for many people. If it was then I'd add AVG, Avast, and others to the list of good AVs (protection wise these are good AVs, but they fail in other factors).

I've personally used all of these except Bitdefender (just haven't ever needed to as I became happy with NOD32). As someone who travels in the darker alleys of the web Kaspersky gave me far more false positives than F-Secure or NOD32 did. In fact, it was those false positives that lead me to get rid of it. I personally prefer NOD32 to F-Secure as I found F-Secure to lock down my computer a little more than I personally like (your average user probably wouldn't notice this though) as well as it's a usually quite a bit more expensive (at least in the U.S.; you can often find NOD32 or Kaspersky on sale for much less than F-Secure at newegg.com and other vendors).

So again, if one finds false positives in Kaspersky to be an issue (as I once did), then I recommend NOD32.

Also, no matter what AV you use, I recommend getting your hands on a copy of Malwarebytes as well, as even the best AVs sometimes fail to catch all the malware there is out there. With a good AV and Malwarebytes you've essentially got two good strong condoms on, and will be unlikely to ever catch any unwanted malware, save for the kind that you might actually give the ok to install (like some companies tool bar via another companies installer; but not everyone considers this malware).

if you ever end up with crap you find hard to get off your computer and your OS, AV, or Malwarebytes doesn't do the job, then I recommend RevoUninstaller.

• Like 1

I use spybot for malware. Though I must admit the new v2 is pretty ****, they bloated it so much...

Some years back I would have recommended Spybot as a must have, and did for many people. Sadly, it's usefulness fell off a few years ago. I actually have it on my computer (it's free and doesn't take up a lot of space) and still run it every once in awhile. It hasn't  found anything my AV or Malwarebytes hasn't found in years, but I keep it around just in case, though perhaps mostly out of habit at this point.

A few years back I got a nasty virus (one of two I've ever gotten in ~25 years of internet/BBS use), that got through my AV (I was using Avast or AVG at the time (forget which for sure) and Spybot). After some research I found malwarebytes, and that detected and took care of my problem when the AV and Spybot didn't.

Malwarebytes is free and I've been using it ever since. I picked up a lifetime license for the premium version a couple of years ago for $5 on newegg.com as part of a bundle with something. Sadly I don't think the lifetime licenses are offered anymore (looks like they became successful and then greedy like so many other companies), but the free version is just about as good (insofar as protection I'm pretty sure it is as good). Highly recommended.

Edited by Valsuelm

Those polls are usually a load of crock. Using Eset for a decade now and never had an infected computer with it. It's just as good as any of the alternatives and it's not heavy on the system.

I'm pretty sure using a sample of one is what's a "load of crock" here.

NOD32

Not really.

Keep Kaspersky.

If you're going to link an AV comparison guide, use a good one, not what you linked.

Could you specify what makes the AV comparison guide you linked better than the one I linked?

When I read your guide, it says the same thing as the one I linked:

Bitdefender 6 awards (4 Gold, 1 Bronze, Product of the year)             - 18 points in my guide

Kaspersky 6 awards (2 Gold, 3 Silver, Top Rated Product 2014)         - 18 points in my guide

Eset NOD32 4 awards (1 Gold, 2 Bronze, Top Rated Product 2014)   - 15 points in my guide

Bitdefender is the best, Kaspersky second and NOD32 a bit behind, in both guides.

I'm pretty sure using a sample of one is what's a "load of crock" here.

NOD32

Not really.

Keep Kaspersky.

Could you specify what makes the AV comparison guide you linked better than the one I linked?

When I read your guide, it says the same thing as the one I linked:

Bitdefender 6 awards (4 Gold, 1 Bronze, Product of the year)             - 18 points in my guide

Kaspersky 6 awards (2 Gold, 3 Silver, Top Rated Product 2014)         - 18 points in my guide

Eset NOD32 4 awards (1 Gold, 2 Bronze, Top Rated Product 2014)   - 15 points in my guide

Bitdefender is the best, Kaspersky second and NOD32 a bit behind, in both guides.

Well, first you linked an article, not the source the article is based on, but If all you're doing is look at medals and ratings I suppose it doesn't really matter.

If you look a bit more into the two it should be apparent why AV-Comparatives is better than AV-Test (the article's source) . In short it does some more rigorous testing, provides quite bit more useful information, as well as better explanation behind it's findings.

Edited by Valsuelm

If all I'm doing is looking at the test results it doesn't matter..? If we're going to ignore test results, why even bother with these two guides? What would you suggest we should look at instead of the test results? Your personal sample of one test?

I did look into the two. This is why I am asking if you could specify why your guide is somehow better than mine, because I can't see it.

The one I linked, AV-test.org, is an independent institute operating out of Germany. They employ 30+ people, have been in business for over 15 years and cooperate with several German universities, they test over 2 million files every day in their server park of over 1000 TB capacity, they thoroughly explain their methods and approach on their homepage, they have several certifications, lots of publicized scientific articles regarding virus/malware, and they have a solid reputation among big corporations around the world (including mine).

So I ask again if you could specify why your guide would be better than the one I linked?

• 3 weeks later...

I use spybot for malware. Though I must admit the new v2 is pretty ****, they bloated it so much...

Some years back I would have recommended Spybot as a must have, and did for many people. Sadly, it's usefulness fell off a few years ago. I actually have it on my computer (it's free and doesn't take up a lot of space) and still run it every once in awhile. It hasn't  found anything my AV or Malwarebytes hasn't found in years, but I keep it around just in case, though perhaps mostly out of habit at this point.

A few years back I got a nasty virus (one of two I've ever gotten in ~25 years of internet/BBS use), that got through my AV (I was using Avast or AVG at the time (forget which for sure) and Spybot). After some research I found malwarebytes, and that detected and took care of my problem when the AV and Spybot didn't.

Malwarebytes is free and I've been using it ever since. I picked up a lifetime license for the premium version a couple of years ago for $5 on newegg.com as part of a bundle with something. Sadly I don't think the lifetime licenses are offered anymore (looks like they became successful and then greedy like so many other companies), but the free version is just about as good (insofar as protection I'm pretty sure it is as good). Highly recommended.

Spybot, MWBs, and AVs form a weird triangle. I just use MWB and Spybot, and about every couple months I'll run an AV. But the AV never catches anything the other two don't. Of course, that might just be because my Internet Habits of +1 Savviness keep my infection rate low so I never come across something that they can't pick up, but still.

"You know, there's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it"

"If that's what you think, you're DOING IT WRONG."