Fighters don't use might?

Ok so I was trying to create a fighter, it tells me the highly recommended stats are Cons and Res...........

Ok I understand that Cons and Res can be good for tanking but how would you deal damage then............... because it tells me after Cons and Res, putting points in Perc would be most beneficial.

I am just trying to get my head around it. Can anyone actually confirms that having low might on the fighter is good, in comparison to resolve and perception?

Thanks

Depends on your build concept. If you want to make a heavy hitter, concentrate on Might, Perception and Dexterity. If you want to make a tank, then go with Constitution, Resolve, and Perception.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

The "recommended" build strategy for a fighter is a tank, not a DPS. Tanks want high defenses but are not necessarily heavy hitters. Barbarian and Rogue are better suited for DPS roles. Having said that, you're welcome to make a high-might fighter if you want to. You are correct that without a high might they will not do a lot of damage. But the tradeoff will be their defenses.

You don't need a lot of might on fighter, though it helps. They're more suited towards tanking, though they can also be one of the more respectable damage dealers if you pump their might up and pick up the more offensive traits. 

To tank you can leave might at 10 or even drop a few points out of it. 18 points in might gives you +24% more damage - noticeable but you aren't exactly gimped if you don't have that bonus. 

Perception and resolve are the more tanking oriented stats, giving you deflection, which is really powerful. Con isn't THAT useful, as it's a percentage based increase. 

Edited by Sleazebag

The reccomendation is based on fighter's default role as a tank. Resolve and Perception affect deflection, which helps a fighter survive melee better.

But that doesnt mean you couldn't do a might based fighter if you wanted. he would just focus more on damage over tanking.

Nothing stopping you from making a dual wielding high might fighter and then taking all +dmg types of talents. I think it would have been cool though to have a couple of pre-made recommended builds though in character creation like:

Tank

DPS

Hybrid

etc.

The idea is that you could toggle between these during character create in order to see the recommended stats change for the class you have selected.

Edited by Azureblaze

Everyone uses Might. Unless your character never attacks or heals.

Edited by Lephys

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Ha. Really you can put just about anything into anything. Although high INT doesn't really help fighters as I haven't seen too many AoEs coming off of them, but if you dump points into mechanics then it can help with your traps...

High INT makes for extended knockdown duration.

--/\/

Take the path of the full min maxer!

Wild Orlan fighter.

14 / 16 str

18 / 16 con

3 dex

20 per

3 int

20 res

But going so far below the score of 10 in dex and int will severely penalize the character in action speed, reflex saves, ability duration, area of effect (idk if it matters for fighter in this game) and Will saves. 

I dont think this approach is very wise, my character will be slow as snail and will be highly vulnerable to reflex and will attacks and my abilities will expire in very short duration, I mean that's what I get from the description...............unless I am wrong, can someone please clarify this?

Edited by Brimsurfer

Take the path of the full min maxer!

Wild Orlan fighter.

14 / 16 str

18 / 16 con

3 dex

20 per

3 int

20 res

That looks a lot like my character stats in Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale. ;)

I'm curious though, unlike thsoe two games, won't attribute distribution of that manner affect you badly in PoE, because it seems like every one of them plays some sort of an important role?

A great Let's Play that exposed me to PoE and got me hooked.

Give it a look and enjoy!! :yes:

Also with a detailed character creation to boot.

Nope. The negative saves are countered by the other possitive stat that buffs them. And other than for knockdown, a fighter tank doesn't need dex or int.

They just need to be able to engage and survive all the mobs.

Edited by Mungri

Nope. The negative saves are countered by the other possitive stat that buffs them. And other than for knockdown, a fighter tank doesn't need dex or int.

They just need to be able to engage and survive all the mobs.

Sorry I am just trying to understand this..............how can high fortitude saves, compensate for extremely low reflex and will saves, these three are entirely different from each other as I understand.............also what about very slow attack speed and ability cast speed?

Or is there a hidden mechanics or an aspect of mechanics that I am ignoring here?