Hi,

Since the game was released I was trying to figure out which weapon to give to which character, and also doing so in keeping with the feel and backstory/concept of each character. But more and more I find myself stumbling over the sometimes odd weapon grouping.

Examples:

Ruffian has 2 Firearms, including the Pistol, which, to me, seems a rather "gentleman"-weapon, which should belong to say Noble.

Noble has 2 Magic Implements. Wasn't there any way to split them up between 3 groups?

Then you have Greatsword AND Pike in Soldier. Pike seems ok, but Greatsword sounds knightly to me.

Knight gets Morningstar, which is a 2H for whatever reason...

Now I know you can't make everyone happy with those sorts of distributions, but could at least the pistol and rod swap places?

Hi,

Since the game was released I was trying to figure out which weapon to give to which character, and also doing so in keeping with the feel and backstory/concept of each character. But more and more I find myself stumbling over the sometimes odd weapon grouping.

Examples:

Ruffian has 2 Firearms, including the Pistol, which, to me, seems a rather "gentleman"-weapon, which should belong to say Noble.

Noble has 2 Magic Implements. Wasn't there any way to split them up between 3 groups?

Then you have Greatsword AND Pike in Soldier. Pike seems ok, but Greatsword sounds knightly to me.

Knight gets Morningstar, which is a 2H for whatever reason...

Now I know you can't make everyone happy with those sorts of distributions, but could at least the pistol and rod swap places?

I think the lore isn't really suggestive of pistols being a gentleman weapon. Firearms in general are new and not highly integrated into society. At least that's my understanding.

I agree that the groupings are awkward, however.

• Like 2

The Dude abides.

I kind of like the oddness of the groupings - I tend to have "extra" weapons for many characters (one slash one crush one or two ranged etc) and the odd groupings push me to try new options - altho I might have been happier with ruffian having one gun and one "normal" ranged weapon. (as well as noble)

• Like 1

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...

Completely agree that the weapon proficiency bundles are odd.  I'd have personally preferred individual proficiencies with buffs to make the talent more enticing for how limited it would be, or if they had to be bundled, bundled in such a way that all crush went into the 'maceman' bundle, all slash went into the 'swordsman' bundle, etc.

In my opinion it also shows inconsistencies.

For example: Pallegina has "Soldier" as a Background, which is fine. And she has a Greatsword, which is also...ok (would prefer Shield + elegant Weapon). But then she has a Pistol. Which is not only not in her weapon Group, but it is in the Ruffian Group.

Eder also clearly states that he was in an Army, which suggests "Soldier", but he also starts with a Ruffian Weapon (Sabre).

Is there any way we can change the groupings around? Anyone knows how to mod the files? I don't care about Achievements btw, so "cheating" is ok, as long as it makes sense to me ;) .

Well as far as I'm concerned, Adventurer is where it's at. I was, quite coincidentally, already using an Estoc and a Poleaxe on my barbarian, so Weapon Focus: Adventurer was a natural pick. Soldier and Knight also have some choice picks, though isn't as versatile. Peasant and Ruffian are simply rubbish, while the others are... I dunno. Tolerable?

But as far as I'm concerned it's all about being able to do crush, pierce, and slash damage with two-handed weapons in just two weapon slots and that means Adventurer holds the crown. If I was convinced of the worth of low-damage high-speed weapons it would be another matter, and I might be obsessing over damage type a bit too much, but... Ruffian? Really?

• Like 1

Curious about the subraces in Pillars of Eternity? Check out 

Blunderbuss definitely isn't rubbish -> Ruffian is okay for some characters.

I agree that the grouping seems a bit weird but then at the same time I kinda like the idea of grouping it like that and think it's okay the way it is.

@Grand_Commander Peasant and Ruffian are rubbish in no way at all. Stilettos are arguably the best dual-wield weapons in the game (DR bypass, very fast), blunderbusses are the best firearms against soft targets and pistols very good against armored targets. The hunting bow is the best fast ranged weapon in the game (faster than the war bow, with Penetrating Shot it's acceptable against armor), quarterstaff combines reach and bludgeoning which is highly useful (plus there are some pretty cool easy-to-access staves in the game).

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

I actually like the weapon groupings. They fit with the lore. They're balanced insofar as there's a good mix of one-handed and two-handed weapons in each group and a mix of damage types.

I feel that being able to pick only one weapon to focus in would be a bit restrictive.

Completely agree that the weapon proficiency bundles are odd.  I'd have personally preferred individual proficiencies with buffs to make the talent more enticing for how limited it would be, or if they had to be bundled, bundled in such a way that all crush went into the 'maceman' bundle, all slash went into the 'swordsman' bundle, etc.

See, I'm actually quite happy they didn't do this. Having to specialize in one damage type when the combat so heavily incentivizes picking your damage types carefully for each encounter is rather silly.

@Grand_Commander Peasant and Ruffian are rubbish in no way at all. Stilettos are arguably the best dual-wield weapons in the game (DR bypass, very fast), blunderbusses are the best firearms against soft targets and pistols very good against armored targets. The hunting bow is the best fast ranged weapon in the game (faster than the war bow, with Penetrating Shot it's acceptable against armor), quarterstaff combines reach and bludgeoning which is highly useful (plus there are some pretty cool easy-to-access staves in the game).

Guh. 3 DR reduction? That's crazy... I just made a post about the Estoc having 5.. I didn't realize the hyper-fast version had 3. These DR penetrating weapons are a little silly, IMO. You've already taken care of the "vulnerable to different types of weapons" thing with the DR types system - which is awesome, by the way. But the DR piercing weapons just seem so... good compared to the other options. Maybe only slightly better in some cases.. but definitely better.

Well as far as I'm concerned, Adventurer is where it's at. I was, quite coincidentally, already using an Estoc and a Poleaxe on my barbarian, so Weapon Focus: Adventurer was a natural pick. Soldier and Knight also have some choice picks, though isn't as versatile. Peasant and Ruffian are simply rubbish, while the others are... I dunno. Tolerable?

But as far as I'm concerned it's all about being able to do crush, pierce, and slash damage with two-handed weapons in just two weapon slots and that means Adventurer holds the crown. If I was convinced of the worth of low-damage high-speed weapons it would be another matter, and I might be obsessing over damage type a bit too much, but... Ruffian? Really?

Estoc seems like quite a strange choice for Adventurer - I'd think it'd fit in with "Noble" much better. That's neither a super sturdy nor easy to use weapon.

Sorry all for the triple post. I should've read the whole thing before starting to reply. :p