Widescreen monitor support!

It's been asked before, but I can't find a definitive answer. And I just bought myself a shiny new 23" widescreen LCD: 1920x1200! wooo B) so I reckon it's worth asking again :)

Will the PC version support any 16:10 or 16:9 ratio screen resolutions, like NWN does?

Pleeeeeeease. *wheedle* *wheedle* ;)

It's been asked before, but I can't find a definitive answer.  And I just bought myself a shiny new 23" widescreen LCD: 1920x1200!  wooo  B)  so I reckon it's worth asking again ;)

Will the PC version support any 16:10 or 16:9 ratio screen resolutions, like NWN does?

Pleeeeeeease.  *wheedle* *wheedle* :)

lets hope! because I am looking into a simlar size monitor

"The only difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits!" - Albert Einstein.

"It's better to be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt!"

"You can try to kill me, you'd fail!, but you can try!" - Revan.

"When you have exhausted all other possibilities whatever remains, however improbable must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes (a.k.a. Sir Arthur Conan Dole)

"A lack of planning on your part, does not constitute an emergency on my part"

AscendedPaladin.png

Are you asking for specifics? I don't have a widescreen LCD so I wouldn't really know. I do know however that some games require some sort of "custom resolution" command line upon startup or some other custom user defined setting. Others that natively support them I would assume would naturally allow you to select the widescreen resolution.

As far as I know, only specific games support widescreen. For those that don't, I believe they are stretched.

It does seem to vary. I suspect it's not necessarily trivial to support it. So far I've found very roughly every other game does, for instance, out of my collection that I've tried:

Support widescreen modes --

Neverwinter Nights

Unreal Tournament 2004

Painkiller

Far Cry

Don't support widescreen modes --

KOTOR1

All Infinity Engine games

Doom 3 (shockingly enough :) )

Sometimes stretched is better (e.g. Doom 3), sometimes it just looks downright strange (e.g. IE games; I've set Icewind Dale 2 to 1600x1200, keep aspect ratio, with black bars down the sides -- this is a configurable setting on the monitor).

It's been asked before, but I can't find a definitive answer.  And I just bought myself a shiny new 23" widescreen LCD: 1920x1200!  wooo  B)  so I reckon it's worth asking again :)

Pleeeeeeease.  *wheedle* *wheedle* :o

Just to ease my idle curiosity, how much did it cost?

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

It's been asked before, but I can't find a definitive answer.  And I just bought myself a shiny new 23" widescreen LCD: 1920x1200!  wooo  B)  so I reckon it's worth asking again :blink:

Pleeeeeeease.  *wheedle* *wheedle* ;)

I'm going to invest in a new HDTV DLP set by year's end.

I'm either going to get a Samsung(46") or an RCA(51"). Both are in the $2000-$2200 range. The RCA actually has an optional firewire connection.

Fantastic images on both in the store I was in. The great thing about the DLPs is that there is no image burn in on the screen like the other HD flat screens.

I don't think TSL will get a widescreen, but it certainly could get a better HD resolution than KOTOR did at 480p.

I'm hoping for 1080i resolution for TSL.

It's been asked before, but I can't find a definitive answer.  And I just bought myself a shiny new 23" widescreen LCD: 1920x1200!  wooo  B)  so I reckon it's worth asking again ;)

Pleeeeeeease.  *wheedle* *wheedle* ;)

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Host, have you considered Rear Projection LCD? Their size is nearly the same as DLP, yet they have higher resolution from what I know.

The Rear Projection LCDs are certainly brighter than the DLPs, but some the of darker colors like black and blue come off looking off black or dark grey. I guess that is the price you pay for all that extra brightness.

The LCDs have higher resolution, but I was more than satisfied with the crystal clear 1280x720p Resolution that the DLPs offered. The prices weren't as steep as some of the better LCDs.

One thing the guy in the store told me was to buy at least one extra lamp when considering the LCDs or DLPs because as the lamp starts to dim, so does the picture. The great thing about that of course is that a new $230 dollar lamp every 6-7 months ensures that you will continue have a super bright image with no burn ins for as long as you own the set. That alone makes it a worthwhile investment. The price of replacement lamps have dropped from $300+ to the low 200s.

One thing I noticed about both was that the larger the screen, the harder these bad boys have to work to give you a crystal clear image. That's why I'm sticking to the 46" - 50" range.

It's been asked before, but I can't find a definitive answer.  And I just bought myself a shiny new 23" widescreen LCD: 1920x1200!  wooo  B)  so I reckon it's worth asking again :)

Pleeeeeeease.  *wheedle* *wheedle* :unsure:

How much did you paid for that ?

• 4 weeks later...

TSL should suport highest resolutions possible.

HERMOCRATES:

Nur Ab Sal was one such king. He it was, say the wise men of Egypt, who first put men in the colossus, making many freaks

of nature at times when the celestial spheres were well aligned.

SOCRATES:

This I doubt. We are hearing a child's tale.