So what's everyone's favorite class thusfar?

wizard! requires most investment to get attuned to but is the most rewarding once you get into it.

• Like 1

I see the dreams so marvelously sad

The creeks of land so solid and encrusted

Where wave and tide against the shore is busted

While chanting by the moonlit twilight's bed

trees (of Twin Elms) could use more of Magran's touch © Durance

I liked Cipher since I tested the beta in it's early stages. They had bugs and were retarded overpowered, but despite this I enjoyed the mechanics of the class. They're still overpowered, especially my Cipher who is built for maximum duration and focus regen. She's running with a warbow and a Chanter, which is far less "good" than using any of the various guns available to me. But honestly, if you saw the bow I was using you wouldn't question it....

Destroying enemy defenses before pouring out a mountain of damage is appealing to me. Even if they take a few hits to their damage output (which I think they should), I'll still enjoy the class just for the sheer amount of control they have on a battlefield.

Edited by Sylvanpyxie

So, is everyone playing their ciphers as primarily ranged? I want mine to be a finesse-y melee gish type.

I'm making mine with dual wielding stilettos and ranged back up. Light to medium armor. It's fast, it generates Focus at a rapid rate and I can cast spells on demand. Mind you, i'll be sending in my tank as a sponge first. 14 Might, 18 Dex, 16 INT, 10 for the rest of the stats. We'll see how this goes!

• Like 1

No one love babarian, With decent might + item boost and frenzy you can get almost 50%++ to damage and healing. Carnage, few swoop with 2-handed weapon usually make all melee engagement easy as cake. I beat the Raedric final battle in one try in hard mode.

Currently level 6 with my Death-Godlike Amauna Cipher and am really enjoying the class. I went to 2H weapon spec,made a nice Poleaxe for him,and he just wrecks.Pain Link/Recall Agony combo with Soul Ignition,enemies just implode(playing on hard btw).Also love the beam abilities like Antipathic Field and Ectopsychic Echo. Depensing on who Im fighting I send 2 anchors to each side to hold agro making a triangle,any enemy caught inside gets shredded,cant wait to see the high level abilities :)

Edited by Raventhull

"Very well permit me on this night. To break your hearts once more. This is the story of the Chain of Dogs. Of Coltaine of the Crow Clan, newly come fist to the 7th Army"- Duiker:Memories of Ice

Cipher, for relatively interesting gameplay mechanics that goes with the flavor of the class.

I wanted to like rogue, but it's a redundant class (so is wizard, to a lesser extent) since anyone can stealth (in fact, stealth works best on tanks) and disarm/search.

The main problem I have with Wizards is that there aren't any effective lower level AoE spells (that i know of) that don't hit your party members. I love the fan of flames, but I can never use it without roasting my whole party.

So, a tip: if you get your wizard off to the side of the front line, rather than behind the tank(s), you can often get an oblique FoF off that misses friendlies, but nails quite a few enemies.  It's a very powerful spell (won't be hard to convince me it's actually overpowered at low levels), but it requires a little finesse.  You can't just lob it around.  Well, you can, I guess, but maybe not such a great idea :D.

I'm a real fan of the Cipher. I know it's not psionics, but it kinda has that flavour and I've always loved psionics conceptually. So it's great to see something similar implemented. The Paralyse effect is one of my go-to strategies to control the battlefield. I probably should use treasonous whispers more, too.

I kinda want to put her up front, but she's not really tough enough for that I think.

No one love babarian, With decent might + item boost and frenzy you can get almost 50%++ to damage and healing. Carnage, few swoop with 2-handed weapon usually make all melee engagement easy as cake. I beat the Raedric final battle in one try in hard mode.

I've got a barb.

I think what probably drives people away is that barb is such garbage at the start. Squishy as hell, can't hit worth a darn, easily hit and interrupted, and the AOE damage does next to nothing. The thing is though that ALL of those stats improve until the barb is nothing but free damage. They get so much raw endurance that even though they're taking craptons of damage and constant hits, it never seems to take off more than half of their total endurance, and even then you can heal up easy. Even deflection goes up. My barb has never EVER hit the ground and been KO'ed, nor has his health ever dropped below 50%. I don't think that's going to change.

It's also really easy to spec them for damage and accuracy for crits, so their damage output just keeps going up. In that sense they kinda feel like a wizard with more consistent damage rather than every-other-battle spike damage. The only thing I consider "lacking" with barb is that it still feels less damaging than a Rogue or Ranger or other such damage dealer, it's just the barb develops into a class where you don't EVER have to worry about them going down and getting KO'ed while they still deal pretty good damage. Good tradeoff, but personally I will admit the crits you get from a Rogue or Ranger are immensely satisfying.

I've also grown to like Wizard a bit more. If you run into a tough battle, there's two classes you expect to pull you out of it: Priest and Wizard. Just kinda unfortunate that Wizard does feel VERY lackluster for any encounter where a per rest ability isn't utilized.

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

My cipher is badass. I also kiiiiiinda wanna try a rogue. With a pistol. But guns are really slow so I'm not sure how enjoyable it would be, a blunderbuss works well with my cipher and all but that's only because it refuels focus so well. Plus ciphers get a few unique dialogue options which is nice.

Edited by Fredward

I've got a barb.

I think what probably drives people away is that barb is such garbage at the start. Squishy as hell, can't hit worth a darn, easily hit and interrupted, and the AOE damage does next to nothing. The thing is though that ALL of those stats improve until the barb is nothing but free damage. They get so much raw endurance that even though they're taking craptons of damage and constant hits, it never seems to take off more than half of their total endurance, and even then you can heal up easy. Even deflection goes up. My barb has never EVER hit the ground and been KO'ed, nor has his health ever dropped below 50%. I don't think that's going to change.

It's also really easy to spec them for damage and accuracy for crits, so their damage output just keeps going up. In that sense they kinda feel like a wizard with more consistent damage rather than every-other-battle spike damage. The only thing I consider "lacking" with barb is that it still feels less damaging than a Rogue or Ranger or other such damage dealer, it's just the barb develops into a class where you don't EVER have to worry about them going down and getting KO'ed while they still deal pretty good damage. Good tradeoff, but personally I will admit the crits you get from a Rogue or Ranger are immensely satisfying.

I've also grown to like Wizard a bit more. If you run into a tough battle, there's two classes you expect to pull you out of it: Priest and Wizard. Just kinda unfortunate that Wizard does feel VERY lackluster for any encounter where a per rest ability isn't utilized.

Maybe the way I'm playing my barb in good ways and half of party damage come from my barb, anyway this just my first run. I don't know much about ranger or rogue yet or didn't dive to deep into Od Nua yet, maybe next replay. 

Chanter, but I didn't pick any summons, ranged weapon buff or maggots, maybe I'm doing it wrong.

I just like how he has very versatile auras and invocations. There are also different chants combos you can use for more invocations or better auras.

I'm going to replay the game with another chanter with a pike when I get the chance.

I also play a chanter without summons. She's a great off-tank, wielding a staff for looks and for reach. I was worried I would be forced into a ranged role but I find the chanter to be great up close.

Easily my favorite class out of the ones I've seen.

You should re-do this post with a poll!

I'm surprised at how many people love the cipher! I've just gotten Grieving Mother, so I'll be trying her out from today.

Personally, I like rogues. Working in the sneak attacks and staying out of harm's way feels rewarding. 

I started Cipher as well. Its no surprise that class is so popular - caster AND weapon wielding damage dealer with rechargeable spells without "per rest" limit. At start of game he outperform any other class in versatility and self sufficiency.

Honestly I think they should have give Cipher weak spot - his control powers should not work on undead. There are numerous game mechanic systems that include psionics and such and regular rule for them - weak spot versus undead.

Edited by ErlKing

I started Cipher as well. Its no surprise that class is so popular - caster AND weapon wielding damage dealer with rechargeable spells without "per rest" limit. At start of game he outperform any other class in versatility and self sufficiency.

Honestly I think they should have give Cipher weak spot - his control powers should not work on undead. There are numerous game mechanic systems that include psionics and such and regular rule for them - weak spot versus undead.

It wouldn't be consistent with the lore though, would it? Undead exist because bodies die and the souls are tied to the shells, ciphers use souls to fuel their magic. Now if there was some way to turn hollowborn into weapons...

So far I've only played the Ranger, Druid, Cipher, and Chanter.

I can't really pick a favorite because they're all great in different ways. Ranger uses archery and an animal companion, which are always great in my book. Druid lets us turn into a giant anthropomorphized animal and slap the organs out of our enemies, and the spells are great besides. Cipher is dang powerful and interesting. And the Chanter is very creative and interesting in theory, even though, on Easy Mode, it doesn't work too well in practice.

"Not I, though. Not I," said the hanging dwarf.