How Can I Keep from Getting my Butt Kicked Early?

So I made a warrior.  Warriors have always been kinda OP early on in most Infinity engine games.  I was going pretty good until I walked into a bear cave and got my arse handed to me.  I reloaded and decided to skip the bear.  I talked to the hanging dwarf then started to make my way to see the guy the dwarf asked me to see.  On our way, me and that elf mage guy ran into two shambling forest thingies and got our arse handed to us again. 

What I want to know, is there any type of early build I can go after to make me more powerful in the early game?

I'm playing on normal.

Early game is pretty hard, some encounters aren't meant to be tackled right away. The bear is one (pretty much impossible solo), also wolves and bandits on the same map if you aren't prepared. There's nothing wrong with your character if you couldn't defeat them, that's just how they're designed. There will be a few such encounters later on too.

You say the mage guy, did you pick up Eder in Gilded Vale? He doesn't have much to say the first time you talk to him, but you can recruit him after talking to the hanged dwarf. Also, there's a chanter right outside the gates of Caed Nua, so you may want to run for him and then backtrack to the forest area you passes.

Edited by Rosveen

You say the mage guy, did you pick up Eder in Gilded Vale? He doesn't have much to say the first time you talk to him, but you can recruit him after talking to the hanged dwarf. Also, there's a chanter right outside the gates of Caed Nua, so you may want to run for him and then backtrack to the forest area you passes.

And there's a priest, Durance, in Magran's Fork.  He's a reasonable fighter AND has a lot of spells that help the party recover Endurance during battle, so if you're having trouble surviving, he'd be a good one to pick up.

Edited by Corylea