I'm just giving my feedback, who said anything about Obsidian murdering my family?
If anyone's being dramatic its you...
Oh really? Let's look at this again, shall we.
I am really disappointed with the Stronghold.
1) The bonuses from resting can't be combined, despite the flavour text implying the opposite. So basically they are a complete waste of time because you might as well dump 200g into resting at an Inn to get a much better bonus.
2) Vast majority of the shopkeepers offer absolutely nothing of worth. Complete waste of money.
3) Brighthollow is just a pain in the ass to get to, I have to go through 2-3 loading screens just to rest there, then go through another 2-3 loading screens to get back to the World Map.. are you ****ting me? Did a blind, lobotomized monkey design this feature?
4) Hirelings seem like a waste of time; they die too easily in the special encounters and mostly cost too much to just have lying around for the purposes of increasing prestige/security. If they at least got rezzed after fights then it wouldn't be so bad.
5) Nobody interesting moves into your Stronghold. The game needs a Deckard Cain-type character (or three) who you actually want to visit and talk to, to make the place seem more alive. It's just a really uninspiring place to visit, and as I've already stated the gameplay benefits are very limited.
Still better than the BG2 Strongholds, but at least they had semi-interesting quests tied to them. Really I'm only dumping gold into this place for the sake of completing it. I really couldn't care less about the place aside from that.
I'd say that the above comments in red are overly dramatic, wiith the comment about a blind, lobotomized monkey being ridiculously so.
Regarding point #1, yes, I agree that it's lame that the bonuses aren't better compared to what you can get at some inns. Agree 100%. That said, earlier in the game, those meager bonuses aren't so bad when you may not want to spend any more than necessary to rest. Later on when you're rolling in money (mostly because you've completely upgraded the stronghold, or at least decided to not sink any more into it), 200cp for a room that gives you a number of +2 bonuses starts looking like chump change. And it does seem a little silly that once you've fully upgraded your stronghold that somehow an inn can provide better, more restful, more bonus worthy accomodations than your own home. But that still doesn't qualify as a "complete waste of time"!!!
As for point #2, there are only 4 merchants in the stronghold, so there can hardly be anything vast about them in the first place. And while their inventories ae hardly inspiring, that doesn't qualify as "offering nothing of worth". "Exceptional" grade weapons are hardly worthless. Bland and uninteresting? Yeah, I'd agree with that. But worthless? Not at all.
At least when you mentioned the hirelings in point #4 you said that they SEEM like a waste of time, which is a reasonably fair way of stating whether true or not.
Also in point #5, I'm not sure that I'd say that "nobody interesting" shows up at the stronghold. I think that some of the characters that do visit might be very interesting, if, as you later suggest, you could actually talk to them.
In short, you seem unable to criticize without resorting to excessive hyperbole, otherwise known as being a drama queen. If you toned down the hyperbole and stuck to the logic of your points, you'd make much more convincing arguments.