Prybar, Grapling hook, Hammer and Chisel etc...

Love the game, few bugs and all. That being said, I have a comment with regards to the scipt-relevant tools you come across. I should note that I'm not very far into the game (only just got Caed Nua), so maybe these comments are a bit premature. 

Regarding the tools: I originally thought it was a cool implementation with regards to the scripted events. But now my attitude towards them is just kind of "meh,". I think the reason is that these tools are just way to easy to come by, and cheap, so it never really adds any challenge to the game. It's not like camping supplies where there is some degree of resource management to it, because apparently they are indestructable. And so far, aside from the very begining of the game, where you need to find the hammer and chisel to progress in the game, your progress isn't really challenged by them. In most cases, it will already be in your stash, unless you went out of your way not to pick them up or buy it.

So I guess my overall point is, I don't see what they add to the game so far. Again, maybe because it's still early days.

• Like 1

Actually, you may be right in that they're not one-use. I read it (I think in-game) but now that I think of it, I still have my grappling hook after using it. And I'm sure I only had one. Wonder if Obs decided to change it or if this is a bug?

• Like 1

I think mostly one-time use but there are occasions where it's not. Bug or intended, I'm not sure.

I too think they should be rarer and more expensive. 

One of the loading tips definitely says that items like Grappling Hooks get used up during interactions. Though I haven't paid enough attention to see if they do actually get consumed or not (actually I'm not sure I've ever needed to use them since a lot of them can be worked around with a high Athletics skill, which I have).

Don't they exist in the case you come up to an obstacle an attribute score is needed by one of your party members and if no one can satisfy, then the tool comes in to get you past the obstacle? So it isn't some deep situation, but seems reasonable. They are consumed each use.

I do really like the storybook parts, not sure how elaborate it gets later on, but I'm for expanding this feature in the future, nice change of pace and classy for some reason.

Edited by Horrorscope

Ah, good to know other people have a different experience. So maybe it's a bug, or an oversight on my behalf. 

Something that would be cool however is that if the "consumability" (or some other word - ah, the joy of not being a native english speaker), was an event in itself, like you could try to dislodge the graplinghook after usage, with some probability of success based on certain skills.

They are one time use, but shouldn't be. It's ridiculous that you would break your hammer or crowbar or mind boggingly, your grappling hook and rope, the first time you use them.

The cost is also trivial, making the mechanic of limited use items pointless, in my opinion.

That said, I like the opportunities to actually USE them, I like those Grimm's Fairty Tale style interludes.

I just think it'd make for a better game for them to be infinite uses. My unlimited stash has about 5-15 of each of those now, at Level 9.  With tens of thousands of gold on top of that, they are effectively unlimited.  

Not  a big deal though, Mods will solve this for everybody eventually; if you want them massively more expensive, there will be a mod for that. If you want them infinite use like me, there will be a mod for that too. :)

Edited by Kinowek

They are one time use, but shouldn't be. It's ridiculous that you would break your hammer or crowbar or mind boggingly, your grappling hook and rope, the first time you use them.

The cost is also trivial, making the mechanic of limited use items pointless, in my opinion.

That said, I like the opportunities to actually USE them, I like those Grimm's Fairty Tale style interludes.

I just think it'd make for a better game for them to be infinite uses. My unlimited stash has about 5-15 of each of those now, at Level 9.  With tens of thousands of gold on top of that, they are effectively unlimited.  

Not  a big deal though, Mods will solve this for everybody eventually; if you want them massively more expensive, there will be a mod for that. If you want them infinite use like me, there will be a mod for that too. :)

Ya, this is definitely one of the more "uh...what?"  attempts at creating a money sink I've ever seen in a game.

Crowbars are one use?  I know the devs are mostly computer geeks, but they've maybe seen a crowbar before or at least a picture of one, right?  It's basically just a solid piece of metal.  They don't really break all that easily.

Anyway, I just buy them all when I'm at an inn or general goods merchant.  They're cheap, and pands are plentiful.

Love the game, few bugs and all. That being said, I have a comment with regards to the scipt-relevant tools you come across. I should note that I'm not very far into the game (only just got Caed Nua), so maybe these comments are a bit premature. 

Regarding the tools: I originally thought it was a cool implementation with regards to the scripted events. But now my attitude towards them is just kind of "meh,". I think the reason is that these tools are just way to easy to come by, and cheap, so it never really adds any challenge to the game. It's not like camping supplies where there is some degree of resource management to it, because apparently they are indestructable. And so far, aside from the very begining of the game, where you need to find the hammer and chisel to progress in the game, your progress isn't really challenged by them. In most cases, it will already be in your stash, unless you went out of your way not to pick them up or buy it.

So I guess my overall point is, I don't see what they add to the game so far. Again, maybe because it's still early days.

What bothers me more about the tools is that as long as you keep them stocked, it's almost insta-win for the scripted interactions.

There's no randomness or unpredictability attached to the scripted interactions, which to me, makes the decisions with the scripted interactions too easy. You always use the available tool. 

I also wish there were more varied scripted interactions. Most of the scripted interactions that I have gone through have been either, use hammer and chisel, torch, grappling hook, or prybar. 

You use them to climb up places, go over gaps, or chisel things away.

It's almost TOO logical. 

It would be nice to try different, varied items, with the scripted interactions for potentially unexpected results. 

The equipment items are probably more interesting decisions to those who play with restricted Stash access.  Do you bring that rope and crowbar along, knowing that it'll limit your space for backup equipment and loot?

• Like 1

The equipment items are probably more interesting decisions to those who play with restricted Stash access.  Do you bring that rope and crowbar along, knowing that it'll limit your space for backup equipment and loot?

in the beta, we didn't realize we needed a grapple hook to complete a particular quest successfully until we had completed 90% o' the mission.  the absence o' a grapple hook in our inventory resulted in us needing return to the nearest town to purchase such an implement.  took 5 or 10 extra minutes o' game time, and a couple o' mournfully protracted load screens, to  trudge back and forth 'tween town and the object o' our quest resolution.

ever leave a file at home?  get to office and sudden 'member that the thing you need most to do your job is sitting on your kitchen counter-- a fact you recall only too well and too late as you had to put the file down to answer your phone this AM.  the phone call were a wrong number. sitting in your office, you realize how "interesting" it is to send somebody back to your house, which is +45 minutes away, to get your freaking grappling hook... file.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

There is a bug when you have pry-bar, grappling hook or hammer and chisel in your Stash and use them in events they will not disappear. That wouldn't be a problem with Don't Restrict Stash option unchecked, but when you are in city and have event same thing happens. I tried it on A Two Story Job Quest when you have to climb to a window.