Is there communication regarding patching?

Still it's been less than a week since release.  I have never gotten a game before on release day, but am I behind the times if I don't think a week is a long time to wait?

As for communication, if I worked for a game company I'd never want to talk to customers, because every time a developer does it is responded to with insults.  That's why game companies hire community managers, so that there's someone being paid to take abuse.

Having the patch come out sometime this week is still what the plan is. The exact date depends on when all the issues we've been looking to address are fixed and everything has been cleared by QA.

Will this week's patch fix the double-clicking equipment and attribute stacking bugs? Those 2 are the biggest IMO that need to be fixed.

Calibrating...

Having the patch come out sometime this week is still what the plan is. The exact date depends on when all the issues we've been looking to address are fixed and everything has been cleared by QA.

Thank you for the update, much appreciated. I for one have put playing this game on hold until the major bugs are patched.

Thanks Roby for taking the time to let us know. I think it would be a good idea to make an updated sticky post with "major known issues" and the status of these issues expected to be in the next patch, along with an approximate patch "week or day" if possible.

It could be called "Known issues and patch status" or something.

I think it will go a long way to appease all the forum and net traffic about bugs, perhaps also make a tweet letting people know the post is available as well? You could throw this in the tech support forum since it can contain spoilers, and also the main forum as well (main forum would link to tech forum warning users that there may be spoilers)

Keep up the good work!

Edited by Azureblaze
  • Like 3

Thanks Roby for taking the time to let us know. I think it would be a good idea to make an updated sticky post with "major known issues" and the status of these issues expected to be in the next patch, along with an approximate patch "week or day" if possible.

It could be called "Known issues and patch status" or something.

I think it will go a long way to appease all the forum and net traffic about bugs, perhaps also make a tweet letting people know the post is available as well? You could throw this in the tech support forum since it can contain spoilers, and also the main forum as well (main forum would link to tech forum warning users that there may be spoilers)

Keep up the good work!

This is a good way of putting it. I think most people getting these bugs just want confirmation it is being worked on . Even if it takes 2-3 weeks, people tend to be a lot more patient if they know it will get fixed at some point instead of hoping the issue breaking their game isn't being missed. There doesn't need to be a lot of information on coming patches, but an occasional "we're still working on it" goes a long ways.

• Like 1

Some more communication would be nice is all I'm saying.

Not-knowing really isn't so bad when you simply pass the time another way. The more you focus on uncertainty, the more stressful it becomes.

As for more communication... Sure, it would be, but is "Oh, sorry, we were hoping for Thursday, but it looks like it'll be Friday now"-type updates every hour really any better than simply not hearing anything until they have a concrete estimate lined up?

In other words, if they can't get the patch out 'til Monday (hypothetically), then what good is hearing that they hope to get it out tomorrow, then that there are issues, then that they want to try and get it out Thursday, then that there are still issues, etc. etc., until Monday rolls around? You still don't really know anything. It's just the illusion of knowing. Clearly, their intended time to get the patch out is as early as possible. The only thing holding them up is how long it takes to get the patch ready to go.

If you think the not-knowing is frustrating to you, imagine how it is to them, with everyone riding them constantly about how they haven't heard anything, and how nice it would be to know something that they don't even know.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Most of the bugs communication has been on the technical support forum, I think.  They've stated a number of the major bugs are already fixed internally, and considering it's only been 4 business days since release, it seems like they're working really hard.  It's standard procedure for any software patch go through a whole QA process to make sure they aren't accidentally introducing even more issues, so it's rare to see a non-trivial patch take less than a week.

If you guys didn't know, there's a dev post tracker where you can easily find everything they're posting, the URL is here:

http://poedevtracker.net/

edit: oops, Forlorn Hope beat me to it

Edited by Srex

The patch will be out when it's out.

Totally agreed.  I remember after backing the KS there were some initial estimated release dates, but they slipped a few times.  And I was cool with that: I wanted to play of course, but even more than that, I figured, "Take your time and make it something good, rather than rush and cut corners to meet a release date".  And they did just that: they knocked it out of the park.

So yeah, it's not a perfect game.  There bugs and balance things to fix.  No game this complex can ever release without issues; it's essentially impossible.  But given what they've delivered so far, I'm willing to trust them to release patches when appropriate.  I check on GOG every couple of days, and when it's there, it's there.

See, someone replied. Can we not freak out anymore. :-p

But now we don't know WHEN! Will it be in the next 5 minutes? The next 10 minutes?! Every second that goes by, I'm forced to wonder, "Could this be the second that the patch arrives?! WHAT IF I MISSED IT ALREADY ZOMG!!!11!11!1oneonewonwon11!"

• Like 3

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

But now we don't know WHEN! Will it be in the next 5 minutes? The next 10 minutes?! Every second that goes by, I'm forced to wonder, "Could this be the second that the patch arrives?! WHAT IF I MISSED IT ALREADY ZOMG!!!11!11!1oneonewonwon11!"

giphy.gif

• Like 4

I remember back in the day I had the Fallout 2 car bug.....I followed progress on the Fallout 2 web page every day looking for news so I could resume playing with a new save (it wasn't going to be a retroactive patch)..I love that game so much still.  I recall the patch got delayed often (from my current  old geezer memory).

Edited by Byeohazard

giphy.gif

Ok, so for some reason, as this topic has gone on, a narrative is starting to develop of anyone asking for better communication as being hyper impatient, totally unreasonable and demanding. I think I was pretty reasonable and I find it incredible that we went from a civil discussion of communication issues to "freaking out". Let's all put down out internet snarkyness for a moment and try and be civil ok?

Thanks to the dev for the update, confirming it's still planned for this week; for taking on board the suggestions and that you to the poster who provided the link to the dev tracker, which was something I asked about in my first post. 

If I could add the following; it would be good if updates were through the main forum instead of the bug forum, for spoiler reasons.

Cheers.

As an industry computer game publishers and developers do a really bad job of communicating with their customers. 

Assuming that it is not there first job it can be understood, at some point.

I wish to thank Roby for showing some interest in our distress, we are freaking exited to be able to play this game without fear of breacking our save.

It's not like some of us have a week off work and don't want to play anything else...

Good to hear the gameplay bugs are about to get ironed out. I haven't been affected by anything technical, luckily.

giphy.gif

Ok, so for some reason, as this topic has gone on, a narrative is starting to develop of anyone asking for better communication as being hyper impatient, totally unreasonable and demanding. I think I was pretty reasonable and I find it incredible that we went from a civil discussion of communication issues to "freaking out". Let's all put down out internet snarkyness for a moment and try and be civil ok?

Thanks to the dev for the update, confirming it's still planned for this week; for taking on board the suggestions and that you to the poster who provided the link to the dev tracker, which was something I asked about in my first post. 

If I could add the following; it would be good if updates were through the main forum instead of the bug forum, for spoiler reasons.

Cheers.

There is a point when it is freaking out. We are all gamers here and we know patches need time. Did you want a patch to come out that broke more than it fixed? Of course not, you would be back on here complaining. 

It has been a week since release. To have a patch out tomorrow like they are planning on doing is pretty dang good. So yeah, it is freaking out. I could see being concerned if we had not heard anything for a month like say, Evolve.... Nah, it was less than a week they were communicating. 

So come off of it. No one was being snarky. 

http://poedevtracker.net/

Scroll down a bit - it seems they're planning a patch tomorrow, as long as QA testing checks out.