Hostile sanitarium bug?

So I just finished the quest for The Man Who Waits.

After you talk to the kid in the call, and he starts the fight with all the patients. I win, I go to Azo and tell him I'll expose him and he attacks me so I kill him as well.

Problem is, when I go back up to the first floor, the entire place is hostile against me, causing me to kill the animancers and lose reputation with defiance bay, also the headmaster's statue wont talk to me anymore.

Is this intentional or a bug?

EDIT- ugh never mind, I saw there was another thread on this. Apperantly talking to Azo before killing all the golems triggers this for some reason? And my only save earlier to that is 2 hours ago :(

I guess this thread can be closed, sorry for not checking first

Edited by RevBlue

• 2 weeks later...

Hey RevBlue,

After completing The Man Who Waits (Subdue Uscgrim) the player can speak to Azo and threaten to expose him to Ethelmoer. Azo will attack the player. If the player performs a Save/Load after defeating Azo in this manor Freyol and the Patients in the cafeteria area will respawn. It is possible for hostile characters to still be in the area which starts a fight between the hostile Flesh Golems and the Patients. This act will hostile the entire Sanitarium against the player (even the upstairs). We are going to try and have a fix for an upcoming update.

Hey RevBlue,

After completing The Man Who Waits (Subdue Uscgrim) the player can speak to Azo and threaten to expose him to Ethelmoer. Azo will attack the player. If the player performs a Save/Load after defeating Azo in this manor Freyol and the Patients in the cafeteria area will respawn. It is possible for hostile characters to still be in the area which starts a fight between the hostile Flesh Golems and the Patients. This act will hostile the entire Sanitarium against the player (even the upstairs). We are going to try and have a fix for an upcoming update.

Hi, thanks for the info. Do you think the fix will be retroactive?. My save is after Azo and i have the upper floor hostile, it would be helpful to know if i should reload an old save or wait in case you fix it.

I, too, would like to know if the fix will be retroactive and make the sanitarium residents non-hostile again.  I've played hours past this point and now have to return to speak to Nans about a scepter.

• Like 1

Same issue here, my previous save it's from eons ago, i thought i've failed trying to unlock the chest on azo's floor, but seems not related.

simply i avoided a couple of fights using grieving mother's charme on npc's and closing doors, but i can't manage to go upstairs and get out safely from the area.

that's because (as previously read) everyone is hostile, even the statue :)

please, make this fix soon and retroactive, ty.

I'm experiencing the same thing and I've already moved out of the sanitarium after being forced to kill quite a few of the people upstairs. I've now got another quest that requires me to talk to someone at the Sanitarium and I can't complete it because the character is dead.

Good to know you guys at Obsidian know about this problem. I'm hoping for a retro-active fix that respawns the characters upstairs, or at least those who have dialog.

Since Ethelmoer was already apprehensive about Azo and had told him not to do any more experiments, it would make sense if Ethelmoer would be more supportive or understanding afterwards, instead of being hostile. He could be like "The sanitarium was rotten from within. I don't like losing patients and staff like this, but Azo forced your hand. Despite the losses today, the place could turn out better for it in the long run". Or something.

• Like 1

I ran into this issue as well just now. I have an autosave that spawns me upstairs with everyone hostile and a quick save just after confronting Azo, so I am boned. Completely utterly boned and its depressing because I do not want to start over now that I have put at least 20+ hours into an otherwise great game so far. I know its partly my own fault for not having a second save, but I guess I haven't run into a bug like this in years.  

Glad to know you guys are on the case and like others have pointed out, I hope the bug will work retro actively. 

• Like 1

Also adding my request for a retroactive fix (or at least a workaround to fix the problem): my reputation in Defiance bay is forever tarnished, I can not access the archives to complete Eder's quest (even after trying to "amend" doing quest to raise my reputation again), and I also probably killed a specific animancer trying to exit the asylum (after he and the others became hostile), the one needed to complete that task that requires you to sell him those artifacts found around the sunken ship in Ondra's gift...

I had the same problem - I had saved right after dealing with Thanos and my autosave was at the same place. So I used the invisible cheat to simply walk past the entire upper floor. Hopefully the patch will fix everything and I can go back in later... but this way no one was killed and I didn't lose reputation. :)

• 2 weeks later...