DON'T TAKE HER TO PARTY and just go to Republics Ambassy and talk to Ambassador and you have a quest when you have to go to one of Defiance Bay bridges

You can still get the quest with her in the party. Just talk to the ambassador again after getting her personal quest.

I meant not to take het to party to get Solo achievement bonus. I assumed he is doing solo run....don't know why :/

The question is, if you're stacking Sanguine and Sura's, what's the best one handed weapon to pair with them?  What weapon's going to have the unique enchants

Depends from you race also. If you are Moon Like I strongly suggest Maces: http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Mace

If you are Fire God-Like I suggest Draining weapons, and so Ruffian weapon group is nice (Clubs, Stilletos and Sabers) since in all those groups there are Draining weapons: http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Club  /   http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Stiletto   /   http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Sabre

Knight weapon group is also nice, since there are swords there, and there is one sword who have 3 DR pass: http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Sword and Axes: http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Battle_axe

Non Moon-God Like race requires Drainin weapon to keep you alive against big pack of mobs. Especially strong, slow hitting (ogres for example).

However in the end you need draining weapon for last boss battle if you are solo.

Cheers

• Like 1

My Fire Godlike Barb was a bit squishy at level 1 - 3, but now at level 4 stuff are dying fast due to carnage.

Untitled.jpg

And this is from one normal low level attack...

Yup. My favourite class to solo game. Tons of fun, tons of power and best barbarian class ever created in RPGs. Of course it has few problems (like all calsses): debuffs to Fortitude from his two passive skills are useless, since most enemies have on PoTD higher Fortitude than Deflection, outside of Blooded and Bloodlust, which both need 50% Endurace (lol) he only have OSA and Carnage that makes him very good class. This melee class do not have any perma damage bonuses so it deal lowest single target damage, while dealing best AOE/Group damage from all classes. Nice design.

I am on my third solo PotD with Fire Godlike barb (I like this combo too much!!!), but now not TC anymore but normal solo. I like TC challenge but I don't feel anymore for it.

I currently 18 Might, 18 CON, 17(18) INT, 17 Res, DEX and PER dumped. Dual Sabers main set and Ravenwing/Blesca's Labor/Sura Shield second set. Sanguine Armor Dexterity +2, additional Crush damage reduction, Excellent and Animancer Boots if situation went wrong.

Just got level 11 and I am going to clear now 1-15 levels of Endless Path, as always. Barb is best for it.

I just love Fire Godlike barbarian.

TIP: Be sure to get With Crucible Knights last plot Talent (you have to ally with them!!) it will give you +2 DR when wearing armor. Pair that with Thick-Skinned (+2 DR to Slash, Pierce and Crush) and +4 DR from Battleforged while under 50% and you are much harder to kill.

And he looks badass :D

Ot9yzJu.png

Last run. Gonna try chanter solo next :)

I will never patch OSA. Unless they won't nerf it THAT MUCH :). Best barbarian class even in RPGs.

Edited by Voltron
  • Like 1

For the newcomers:

This Build uses an exploit passive called 'One Stands Alone'  which is being patched in 1.05 (confirmed), after which the AoE damage will not be nearly as strong. 

Right now the passive gives a static +20dmg per hit (which is ridiculously strong when you are delivering so many small hits).

Without the exploit, I think it will still do good light aoe damage, but on the hardest difficulty, the barb will die too quickly so sustaining the aoe will be a problem.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm planning on trying something similar with my barbarian once I get the retaliation items. My question is: do they stack? If I use the Sanguine Armour + the retaliation shield, will I do more damage than if I use just one of them?

I've tested it and surprisingly they actually do infact.

.....h-h-huh? but? how?

Also how did your jolting touch do so much do the adra dragon? what buffs it damage?

As Kanasuke mentioned just above that post (notice the dates on some of these threads you are reviving; that post was from April), that carnage damage was only possible before patch 1.0.5.

Jolting Touch I've read also used to be OP and was toned way down at some point. That said, I'd also like to know exactly what damage boosts were in place, what class was being played, and what accounts for the big Burn component. My best guess (and this is pure speculation) is that it might have come from Azurieth's Stiletto enchanted with Burning Lash on a rogue at a time when this combination was totally OP.

Does anybody know if retaliate and the damage from being a fire godlike at low endurance cause carnage when version 2.0 comes?

If yes, I might create a barbarien with max res, dumb dex, the shield and cape that give retaliate and a 1h weapon that either drains endurance or stunns the enemy.

He will get the usual tank talents (cautious attack, weapon + shield style, +deflection) plus frightening presence and OSA.

How does OSA work together with hold the line or weapons that give +engagement?

It will do less damage than the ones you posted. But it will survive well while doing more damage than a paladin tank.

I want to play on hard, not POTD.

Retaliation doesn't trigger draining or other weapon enchantments as overbearing or stunning, because they nerfed it. It's not a full attack anymore as it used to be. The only things it does: pierce damage, procs carnage, generates focus, always hits, gets bonus from things like vulnarable attack or savage attack, blooded and so on. So you can't use it to regain endurance. But when you stack two ret. items like supper plate and hiro's mantle or one of the two ret. armours and add battle forged, then you retaliate two to three times when you get hit. It's pretty nice if you are a low dex tank barb with high DR. Or if you're a melee offtank cipher. Also nice when you are a low dex tank monk with rooting pain and turning wheel.Maybe it also works with blood testament.

• Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Thank you

I play a barbarien right now. I really like her. Boreal dwarf with max might, max int, some dex, cloth and tall grass or tidefall. She makes more damage than the rest of the party together (Aloth and grieving mother use mostly debuff spells). But she needs to wait some time until the enemies gather around the tank (Eder). Else she is dead within seconds.

A barbarien that charges in first and enemies die around him because they attack him sounds nice.

Tanking with a barb and still doing good dps works well if you use high DR armour and shod-in-faith boots together with retaliation items and battle forged. Battle forged seldomly triggers though because you get healed all the time. You don't even need good deflection. And because of the enormous health of barbs you don't have to rest more often than other chars. A nice combination is sanguine plate plus shod-in-faith (=frenzy plus consecrated ground when getting a crit. hit) together with hiro's mantle and sura's supper plate and a sabre or some weapon that does something special on hit or crit like overbearing, draining, interfering, stunning etc because these things also apply to carnage. Use all +%damage modifiers that you can get. They all also apply to your retaliation.

• Like 1

Tanking with a barb and still doing good dps works well if you use high DR armour and shod-in-faith boots together with retaliation items and battle forged. Battle forged seldomly triggers though because you get healed all the time. You don't even need good deflection. And because of the enormous health of barbs you don't have to rest more often than other chars. A nice combination is sanguine plate plus shod-in-faith (=frenzy plus consecrated ground when getting a crit. hit) together with hiro's mantle and sura's supper plate and a sabre or some weapon that does something special on hit or crit like overbearing, draining, interfering, stunning etc because these things also apply to carnage. Use all +%damage modifiers that you can get. They all also apply to your retaliation.

I haven't given a barbarian a good chance yet, but I like how a lot of the same gear would be good for a solo melee cipher. Unfortunately you can't get any of it early or easily, although that seems fair and balanced. Good thing I discovered back-and-forth double two-hander Quick Switch cheese to make the early levels more viable.

Also, if you're complaining that Battle-Forged doesn't trigger often, why not make it a Moon Godlike instead? Not having experience with the class, I don't know if it'd be overkill in a full party, but for solo I'd think it'd be a top choice (as it is for any melee character that's not a pure tank).

Lastly, you recommend stacking two retaliation items, but will three stack and become even more effective? For the chest slot, there's Vengiatta Rugia or the more protective Coat of Ill Payment.

Battle forged will only trigger in very tough or long fights - but then it's a life saver because of the +DR and the additional damage. Moon Godlike ist also good of course - just shifting the char a bit more to tankiness. The thing ist: when your health drops because the fight is really tough or to long then all healing will not save you. That's the time the +DR of battle forged comes in handy. ALso nice to combine with defiant armours like "He carries many scars" from Undead Raedric or Palegina's armour. You can use them if you already have the frenzy ability and don't feel the need to use the spell holding from the sanguine plate. 

You can't stack more than two retaliations. That is because all same effects from clothes, neck, rings, boots and so on suppress each other. The only excaption ist weapons (and shields, which count as weapons). You can stack retaliation from Hiro's Mantle + Sura's Supper Plate - or the Coat of Ill Payment + Supper Plate - or Vengiatta Rugia + Supper Plate. But you can't stack Hiro's Mantle + armour retaliation. Same thing with stat bonus: you can add bonus might from bracers and so on with the Godansthunyr war hammer - but you can't stack bonus might from armour and bracers for example. So - 2 retaliations maximum + plus battle forged retaliation, because it's a different kind of retaliation (burn, not pierce). You can add retaliation of grazed ranged attacks with some special shields and armour plus the ability of the monk. Then you would have 2 times "normal" retaliation, battle forged and 2 times ranged grazes retaliation. The retaliation of ranged grazes is not really a retaliation as the others - it's more a reflection of the shot. Since it only reflects grazes, it's not super powerful but useful against hordes of weak archers/snipers and the like who annoy you. I honestly don't know if this reflection generates focus though or profits from all these +%damage modifiers. Would be good to know.

You could also combine all these retaliations with riposte if you play a rogue. Would be an interesting build, stacking all these kinds of retaliatioin - but because riposte is so bad and the ranged reflection isn't powerful either it would just be a nice gimmick build but not very powerful in terms of dps. But maybe it's fun to see all these different retaliations trigger all the time. For me the most fun with retaliations comes with barbarians (retaliation procs carnage) or ciphers (retaliation generates lots of focus).

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

A fire godlike barbarien should enchant weapons with additional fire damage and take the +20% fire damage talent. The talent works now and it does work for additional weapon damage. Does it?

Do the boots with jolting touch (animancers boots?) still cause carnage? I saw a picture where a barbarien kills an entire room with one use of it.

The retaliate ability of the cipher works only once per encounter, right?

If I play a rogue it will be a ranged one. Most likely with the warbow that causes stunns. Leadspitter goes to my cipher.

What retaliate ability of the cipher do you mean? Psychic Backlash? That's crap in my opinion. I don't recommed using a talent point for it.

As far as I know Jolting Touch still works with carnage - not 100% sure though. You don't need the animancer boots for that. Jolting Touch scrolls are easy and cheap things to craft.

My playtrough before this one had two fast running, dual wielding melee rogues (sabres and battle axes) and two ranged ciphers to trigger deathblows at the beginning of every encounter with Phantom Foes and Blind or Mental Binding - man, that was fun. I can imagine that a double team with tall grass and hours of st. rumbalt would also be nice - but nothing beats dual sabres when it comes to pure dps. Ranged rogue is a waste - in terms of fun. It's effective of course, but kind of boring. But that's just my opinion.

Best autoattacker so far was/is my standard barbarian offtank with sanguine plate, tidefall/tall grass, shod-in-faith and enchantments and items that raise DR further. Seldomly goes down and just keeps dishing out lots of (carnage) damage. No special attacks needed.

It just comes to my mind that maybe it would be nice ro combine cipher's psychic backlash with the wild orlan's racial ability that raises defenses after will-attacks. That way you would raise your defenses against all enemies that attack your will defense plus stunning them. Might be nice for a (tanky?) melee cipher. So maybe in that case psychic backlash is not 100% crappy. ;)

Thanks again

If I ever make a melee rogue he will have the same problem as my barbarien now. He needs to wait until the enemies gather around the tank before he can attack. Then he needs to move after every kill to attack the next enemy from behind. This char alone would tripple the uses of the pause button. At least my barbarien can attack an entire group while standing behind the tank.

In the IE games (and now POE) I used one or two melee chars to block enemies while others use ranged weapons or spells. Boring but effective. Individual stealth my increase the use of a melee rogue. In BG2 it was fun to backstab a wizard and see his protection spells trigger on death.

Melee rogues require a lot of micromanagement, that's true. But they deal so much damage... To avoid waiting at the beginning of a fight: just shoot with something and then switch to melee. Boots of speed and/or fast runner also make positioning more easy.