Hi guys,

A bit of context: I'm new to PoE but I was a HUGE fan of the BG/IwD series, especially BG2. I've played it soo many times that I'm pretty sure I still remember where all the traps are :)

I've been toying around for a good 8-10 hours re-rolling class and watching Youtube vids (especially Sensuki's) about each class and going through the startup up until Gilded Vale. My "class check" was the 3 NPC encounter holding the inn's cook and the bear in the cave in the area just before Gilded Vale. I've decided to roll a DPS Monk (still unsure about that) as my main and I pretty much steamrolled encounters up until the underground temple in Gilded. I've recruited the Wizard and did the temple with some degree of difficulty I must admit which was surprising (although fun) to me since I choose normal mode and I consider myself as a veteran in this type of games. I'm not sure how people can solo 4 shades whacking on them and manage to kill all 4 with a non-tank class.

So long story short, instead of redoing some fights over and over until lucky crits, I've decided that it's time to bring a tank in. After some research, it looks like a Paladin tank would be best. I'm at a point where I either re-roll my main one last time or deal with what I've chosen. I plan on going with a party composed of a DPS Monk, Paladin tank, a rogue, a barb, a ranged Cipher and a Priest for healz.

Now, what if I do the following:

- Min-Max Pally tank for maximum aggro holding/deflection/auras

- DPS Monk with high attack speed/interrupt

- Rogue for some nasty single target damage

- Barbarian with an AoE build to soften foes and roars

- Cipher for some insane CC/utility and damage

- Priest for them healz and whatnot

Would it be crap or would it work decently ? As the title says, what would be the best possible Paladin tank build in this context?

Big thanks guys :)

Well, I just updated the wiki entry for Silver Tide (Mood Godlike) ability. At 10 might, it heals for 10 at level 1 and 43 at level 12. That fires off up to 3 times per fight (once each at 75, 50 and 25% Endurance).

The healing is also modified by might, and since it's an aoe I am guessing it's affected by intelligence but I can't think of a good way to test that before heading off to work this morning. In any case, if it's like the paladin aura, it would be quite small (2.5 meters), so it woud likely only affect you and the other melee most of the time.

In any case, I think they are a strong candidate for tanks of all sorts.

I think I've put the wrong title on my thread. It's more of a "Help needed" thread to:

1. build a solid party  as I'm sure what I intend to do is most likely not optimal, especially if I can't get enough wounds going on the monk
  2. build a solid min-maxed Pally tank

Sorry if it was misleading :/

Edits: Thanks for the input Viper. Moon Godlike was definitly was I was aiming for. I just need a little more help on the stats.

Edited by solidbry

Well, I just updated the wiki entry for Silver Tide (Mood Godlike) ability. At 10 might, it heals for 10 at level 1 and 43 at level 12. That fires off up to 3 times per fight (once each at 75, 50 and 25% Endurance).

The healing is also modified by might, and since it's an aoe I am guessing it's affected by intelligence but I can't think of a good way to test that before heading off to work this morning. In any case, if it's like the paladin aura, it would be quite small (2.5 meters), so it woud likely only affect you and the other melee most of the time.

Does it fire off 3 times per encounter, or can it fire off multiple times if you heal back above a threshold? The text only says something like "when you are reduced below XYZ", which might mean if you raise endurance above X it will trigger again once it goes below.

Building a pure min-maxed Pally tanks is easy - go for the st. Elega, min dex, average str & con, max else, moon godlike. Flames on 1st level, special on 2nd (the one that gives +10 deflection to the party), then the protective aura and the whole chain of buffs. Talents all aimed at high deflection and, once that runs out, resists. 

Building a pure min-maxed Pally tanks is easy - go for the st. Elega, min dex, average str & con, max else, moon godlike. Flames on 1st level, special on 2nd (the one that gives +10 deflection to the party), then the protective aura and the whole chain of buffs. Talents all aimed at high deflection and, once that runs out, resists. 

Thanks NerdCommando I'll give it a shot :)

Does it fire off 3 times per encounter, or can it fire off multiple times if you heal back above a threshold? The text only says something like "when you are reduced below XYZ", which might mean if you raise endurance above X it will trigger again once it goes below.

I didn't have time to test before work, but you can probably test it with the bear.

It would be really strange if, after triggering from going below X, it fired off again if you healed to above X and then got hurt to go below, since the effect of it firing is to heal you.

If it did, you would be immortal when fighting against anybody whose attacks hurt you for less than the healing effect when firing healed you.

So don't count on it working that way.

Edited by pi2repsion

When I said death before dishonour, I meant it alphabetically.

It would be really strange if, after triggering from going below X, it fired off again if you healed to above X and then got hurt to go below, since the effect of it firing is to heal you.

If it did, you would be immortal when fighting against anybody whose attacks hurt you for less than the healing effect when firing healed you.

So don't count on it working that way.

Ya, my I don't think it would either, basically I assume you have 3 per encounter heals, one at 75%, one at 50% and one at 25%. My only question I was whether they will all fire at the same time.

As tooltip says.

It will fire only once at 75% 50% 25% per encounter. As i understood.

In russian version it says more specific that it will fire 3 times at specific % per 1 encounter. 

4Vjw6E.jpg

Edited by Sifjar
  • Like 1