How to dispel domination?

What is this.. "Dispel"?

Don't you know that hard counters.. are boring?

Edit:

No dispel in the game, seems like an oversight. [...]

No, it's fully intentional. Honestly I'm surprised we got "suppress affliction"-mechanics at all, even.

Edited by Luckmann

t50aJUd.jpg

There is no more helpless feeling than when your party gets charmed/dominated without any clear way to supress the effects without having to pre modify character buffs to prevent the issue in the first place.  I believe bg2 had dispel magic and remove magic to counter charmed,confused, chaosed and paralysed members.  I wish there was something that straight forward in poe.  Maybe there is and i am just missing it.

Yeah. That's the one thing I really hate...having control of my own characters taken away from me, and being helpless to restore it.

Even the high level priest spell "prayer against treachery" seems weak or worthless against confusion/domination spells.

Fighting my own men is not fun. 

The issue seems to be related with the hit system. Since they are attacking your Will stat, even if they get a Graze hit, your character is still dominated/charmed for less time.

charm and confuse attack deflection

maybe from some monsters. cypher and wizard spells for charm,confuse and dominate target will

PIllars of eternty (Hard) 1st playtrough: 155h, 38 m (main Ranger with bear(bow), Eder, Durance(off tank), Hirvais(off tank), Kana(ranged), Aloth/GM)
PIllars of eternty (PtoD) 2nd playtrough: 88h 30 m (main Bleak Walker Paladin, Eder, Barbarian, Monk, Rogue (ranged) Cypher(wand)
(not counting reloads and experimenting)
status i love the game, hate the bugs, and wish for better AI and Pathfinding

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/78749-needed-qualyty-of-life-improvements-information-and-transparency/

Is there even a difference between confused or dominated?  Is dominated a full alliance flip, and confused just attacking anything?

Dominate is an upgraded version of Charm -- no hit/defense penalties.

Dominate can be used on a teammate that is charmed or dominated.

So, if you don't like being dominated/charmed, bring a cipher that can cast dominate.

Edited by Daemonjax

So, if you don't like being dominated/charmed, bring a cipher that can cast dominate.

I have two. Unfortunately, the Confusion spell is just as overpowered in the hands of enemy wizards as it is in my own. 

Even hiding in the back ranks, my PC and the Grieving Mother nearly always get caught at the edge of Confusion's effect, and then I just have to wait it out.

AoE charms are a thing that should never ever happen.

DID YOU KNOW: *Missing String*

There is a certain pattern for which characters get dominated/charmed first. At least in my case, there was. This allows for some countermeasures, but the only hard counter is reapplying a charm effect over your character. Or a well applied Withdraw on someone who'll be targeted by this effect.

It is annoying, but that's what the effect is all about. Pupper Master has the same effect and is ludicrously strong. Also, some scrolls might help, such as confuse.

Frankly, I am on my second playthrough on hard, and I never lost a fight due to charmed party members. My only gripe is that Prayer against Treachery apparently is not doing what it should be, in certain cases.

The best defense is the prayer spell that gives +50 defense against such effects.  You need to cast that on your entire party as soon as combat starts.  If you don't have a priest or you don't have that level of spell yet it can be really tough.

Edited by Atheosis

I used my Cipher to reverse the charm, like Sparklecat said. Pretty cool trick, because the enemy is able to charm so much more quickly than my party. Doesn't work if your Cipher gets charmed, but they seem to be going for Aloth first. 

The best defense is the prayer spell that gives +50 defense against such effects.  You need to cast that on your entire party as soon as combat starts.  If you don't have a priest or you don't have that level of spell yet it can be really tough.

I tried it in a certain battle on a rooftop where many enemies cast Charm and, for a 6th level spell, it's surprisingly useless. It doesn't help that you can either cast the anti-Charm spell or the anti-Fear spell (there's simply no time for both unless you brought two Priests) and the Fear aura negates about half of that bonus right off.

I tried it in a certain battle on a rooftop where many enemies cast Charm and, for a 6th level spell, it's surprisingly useless. It doesn't help that you can either cast the anti-Charm spell or the anti-Fear spell (there's simply no time for both unless you brought two Priests) and the Fear aura negates about half of that bonus right off.

Worked like a charm for me.  Not sure what to tell you.

• 2 weeks later...

Dominate them back over to your side.

Which is a great trick, but really shouldn't be the only way to deal with the issue.

Why? Its simple, effective and its a direct counter move to respond to the problem after the fact, by what standards are you claiming that its not enough?

What is this.. "Dispel"?

Don't you know that hard counters.. are boring?

Edit:

No dispel in the game, seems like an oversight. [...]

No, it's fully intentional. Honestly I'm surprised we got "suppress affliction"-mechanics at all, even.
It wouldn't have to be implemented as a hard counter. The "remove X seconds of duration" mechanic is a soft counter, and you could theoretically run a recheck of the priest's will against the caster's accuracy (assuming they track affliction source) to remove 0%, 50%, 100%, or 150% of that X seconds.

The larger issue, as has been alluded to, is that Charmed and Domination (and maybe confused?) turn allies into foes for effect determinations, so you have to use hostile spells against them (double Dominate) rather than healing or defensive magic. Hopefully they will fix that in a future patch, because it's a terribad mechanic -- not just for this, but also subjecting such allies to autoattacks from their own party, making them targetable with foe-only spells, and so on. Just because they think the greens are their enemy doesn't mean the greens shouldn't know better.

• 3 weeks later...

* Priest - level 1 spell - HOLY MEDITATION gives +15 to willpower

* Chanter - level 1 chant - "At the sight of the women, their schlongs grew bold". +10 to willpower

You now have +25 willpower vs enemies that attempt to charm your party.

EXAMPLE: Before each fight, you need to compare your enemies to what you've fought prior and determine if you want Durance to increase the parties:

- Willpower

- Damage reduction

- Health Regen via Consecrated Ground

Ask yourself which of the above is more important for Durance to buff when a fight starts.

More ways to increase willpower.

* Priest - level 3 spell - CIRCLE OF PROTECTION gives +15 to all defenses which includes willpower

* There is a cloak you can get early game that gives +10 willpower.

* Sleeping at the inn for 113cp can give you +2 resolve which is +4 willpower. 

These things add up.

GOD DAMN I'M GOOD, AIN'T THAT RIGHT?

we-have-a-badass-over-here.png

Edited by luzarius
  • Like 1

Having trouble with the games combat on POTD, Trial of Iron?

- Hurtin bomb droppin MONK - [MONK BUILD] - [CLICK HERE]

- Think Rangers suck? You're wrong - [RANGER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

- Fighter Heavy Tank - [FIGHTER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

Despite what I may post, I'm a huge fan of Pillars of Eternity, it's one of my favorite RPG's.

Anita Sarkeesian keeps Bioware's balls in a jar on her shelf.

• 2 weeks later...

A workaround is to counter charm charmed allies. It works, but you still can't control them, they only aren't hostile anymore.

And what I don't get, if charm attacks will, how high does your will have to be to not be charmed? My characters are well over 70 with their will defense and in certain encounters I'm lucky if Aloth squeezes even one spell out before being instacharmed for 20 to 30 seconds.

I always produce paralyze scrolls by the numbers, since that's the only thing actually working most of the times. If you catch them unawares that is, since the real bothersome charmers cast instantly.

• 1 year later...