Nvidia Video cards

Dakoth

How many of you tech heads are excited about Nvidias new announcemenr? The one that showed you can connect and run 2 video cards simultaneously for better performance. Oh by the way this is only on mobos that have PCI express.

you all must've either forgotten about the SLI voodoo cards or are not old enough to know... ;)

the dual card thing is what put the VooDoo2 on the map as the best graphics card EVAR! then Nvidia releasted the TnT... oops.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

Just a little question for you guys. How fast is your Proc and why? I have yet to see many programs that require a 1.5ghz proc to run but I bet many of you have a proc clocked higher than that. How bout ram howe many of you have DDR, SDRam can handle all programs out now.

If by combinig 2 nvidia cards that are mid range say 150.00(300.00) and it gave you the performance of a single high end card lets say one that cost 500.00 would it be worth it to you?

you all must've either forgotten about the SLI voodoo cards or are not old enough to know... ;)

the dual card thing is what put the VooDoo2 on the map as the best graphics card EVAR!  then Nvidia releasted the TnT... oops.

taks

Heh that was awesome. Do you relise there are still people using that system to day and playing games. I never understood why Nvidia let that laps when they bought 3DFX.

you all must've either forgotten about the SLI voodoo cards or are not old enough to know... :p

the dual card thing is what put the VooDoo2 on the map as the best graphics card EVAR!  then Nvidia releasted the TnT... oops.

taks

Heh that was awesome. Do you relise there are still people using that system to day and playing games. I never understood why Nvidia let that laps when they bought 3DFX.

I have been waiting for Nvidia to realease release this config when they bought out 3dfx.

Just a little question for you guys.  How fast is your Proc and why? I have yet to see many programs that require a 1.5ghz proc to run but I bet many of you have a proc clocked higher than that.  How bout ram howe many of you have DDR, SDRam can handle all programs out now.

If by combinig 2 nvidia cards that are mid range say 150.00(300.00) and it gave you the performance of a single high end card lets say one that cost 500.00 would it be worth it to you?

Sorry about this being so adversarial. I just wanted you to know that I consider everything past a certain speed is a money grab, wether it be video cards, procs, or anything else. I was wanting to know if you thought there could be graphical improvements using this technology?

taks

Oh they were bought out? 4 years ago I wanted a 3Dfx card, and some idiot salesman told me they went out of business. I thought "hmm... that's wierd."

you all must've either forgotten about the SLI voodoo cards or are not old enough to know... :unsure:

taks

Oh they were bought out? 4 years ago I wanted a 3Dfx card, and some idiot salesman told me they went out of business. I thought "hmm... that's wierd."

Yeah Nvidia bought most of them up, but for the longest time did associate themselves with 3dfx. That is untill the FX5800 card which was supposedly a blending of the 2 technologies.

"How many of you tech heads are excited about Nvidias new announcemenr? The one that showed you can connect and run 2 video cards simultaneously for better performance."

It speaks volumes that by Voodoo 3 cards, 3dfx had abandoned dual cards...

Yet Intel one of the biggest names in computers today reintroduces a variant of this exact tech years later. I mean basically that is what hyperthreading is the addition of a limited second proc on the waffer.

Eh, maybe after these cards are older, say, the price that a 9600XT is right now (around $150), and I already have a PCI Express board this would be a viable option....but right now, while it's new, it's certainly too much money, not to mention, any of those cards can run any game on the market. :)

Yeah Nvidia bought most of them up, but for the longest time did associate themselves with 3dfx.  That is untill the FX5800 card which was supposedly a blending of the 2 technologies.

Ye of little knowlage...... The first Gforce cards were the first cards to marry 3DFX tech with Nvidia's own.

It speaks volumes that by Voodoo 3 cards, 3dfx had abandoned dual cards...

Again Voodoo 3 was doing what both Voodoo 2 cards in an sli config could do.....

Now for the perfomace you can look at it like this..... dual graphic chips (theroticaly) faster than one more computaional power......2 memorey banks more textures.......

increased frame rates and over all better graphics for the game......

I'd imagine having multiple processors is closer to it, but if you say so...

That is what Intel was shooting for with hyperthreading which is why if an application is not designed for multiprocessor support hyperthreading is useless.

To answer you BlackBishop thats the kinda answers I was looking for do you think this could make a big impact on gaming. Oh and by the way that was a paraphrased from Nvidia them selves hence why they gave their cards the FX designation instead of calling it the GEforce 5.

That is what Intel was shooting for with hyperthreading which is why if an application is not designed for multiprocessor support hyperthreading is useless.

To answer you BlackBishop thats the kinda answers I was looking for do you think this could make a big impact on gaming. Oh and by the way that was a paraphrased from Nvidia them selves hence why they gave their cards the FX designation instead of calling it the GEforce 5.

Yeah the FX designation is in regards to 3DFX but to be honest they have been using/and or implamenting vairous aspects of 3dfx tech since the inception of Geforce.... the FX designations was used for this reason..... SLI configuration that they knew they were going to implament.........

Over all, the performece of your rig will see higher frame rates and mybe less taxing on the rest of the subsystems. If a game is desgined right for use on the new nvidia cards then you might beable to see much more than just frame rates...... better visuals over all.

Me personaly I'm wating untill I build my Amd 64 FX system and then maybe looking at these cards depending on if the current games can take advantage of them.....

Just wait untill you start seeing reviews of the dual cards.......to make your choice if you going to buy them or not...

Yeah the FX designation is in regards to 3DFX but to be honest they have been using/and or implamenting vairous aspects of 3dfx tech since the inception of Geforce.... the FX designations was used for this reason..... SLI configuration that they knew they were going to implament.........

Over all, the performece of your rig will see higher frame rates and mybe less taxing on the rest of the subsystems. If a game is desgined right for use on the new nvidia cards then you might beable to see much more than just frame rates...... better visuals over all.

Me personaly I'm wating untill I build my Amd 64 FX system and then maybe looking at these cards depending on if the current games can take advantage of them.....

Just wait untill you start seeing reviews of the dual cards.......to make your choice if you going to buy them or not...

Maximum PC Sept. 2004 not really any benchmark numbers because they appearantly had to beg for the connector but it sounds promising. They also stated they would be PCI express which leads me to believe AMD 64, and comparible Intel 64 bit users are the ones going to get the dual card option.

I find this a more cost effective way to get dual cards as compared to buying an Alienware rig.

You know what, I'm kinda excited about it, because I can buy one card now, and when the time comes that I need more power, I can pop another in, link 'em, and see a 90% increase in performance. That's pretty dang good, but yes, too expensive and trivial to do all at once.

Although I agree that it's a pretty interesting feature. It's not that usefull as it is today since the two cards have to be the exact same model and preferably even have the same manufacturer.

But if this feature could be expanded to range across defferent generations/models of nVidia cards it would be pretty cool.

I think tenjac hit on the most significant part of this tech. It will extend the life of older cards. People who can't afford to get a 500.00 card every 6 months will now be able to get the same if not better frame rates by marrying 2 cards together. Here is something else, what about developers writing better grafics because now there is the possibility of twice the power.