TotalBiscuit argues in favor of Obsidian keeping tombstone joke.

TB doesn't seem to be aware that this joke isn't part of the lore, but something put there by one of the backers. If a person in the game says something controversial, there is usually a point to it, like TB suggests, to underscore some view or personality trait of the NPC. But in this case, it's more akin to a forum post, possibly expressing some view of a real person. 

Not saying this settles the matter, but it's a distinction TB misses.

• Like 3

Makes excellent points all around.

He does. But to my understanding the topic has already been discussed to great lengths here and elsewhere, as far as I can tell, and Moderators closed 2 of these threads yesterday (One of them 30 pages long, and I'm pretty sure that TB's soundcloud was probably shared in that thread).

:deadhorse:

• Like 1

From a podcast:

why everyone is upset with Pillars of Eternity

lol WHAT?! First time I heard of anyone being upset with PoE, it's actually first time I heard anyone even saying anything about this tombstone (and yes - I did see it in a game).

TB doesn't seem to be aware that this joke isn't part of the lore, but something put there by one of the backers.

He is very aware of that, he points it out at the beginning of a podcast.

Edited by Sky_walker
  • Like 1

TB doesn't seem to be aware that this joke isn't part of the lore, but something put there by one of the backers. If a person in the game says something controversial, there is usually a point to it, like TB suggests, to underscore some view or personality trait of the NPC. But in this case, it's more akin to a forum post, possibly expressing some view of a real person. 

Not saying this settles the matter, but it's a distinction TB misses.

He repeatedly mentions that this is written by a backer. He's fully aware of that. He's saying that it's not out of place within the context of Eora.

• Like 2

"You're a fool if you believe I would trust your benevolence. Step aside and you and your lackeys will be unhurt."

Baldur's Gate portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale 2 portraits for Pillars of Eternity

[slap Aloth]

Please delete this thread, it seems like this whole "outrage" have died down and will soon be forgotten(hopefully), don't give these people more attention by creating threads about it. 

As for the soundcloud, I think he makes some excellent points in it, and the people that are upset should listen to him.

• Like 1

Yep. I agree completely with him. Obsidian is being bullied by a tiny minority who claims to feel insulted by a very ambiguous and funny tombstone joke. In a way it's weird that they don't complain, nor feel bad, about people murdering through mauling, stabbing, piercing, etc, other people in the game, but claim a joke is transphobic and then all hell breaks loose. This is just a shame campaign.

• Like 1

From a podcast:

why everyone is upset with Pillars of Eternity

lol WHAT?! First time I heard of anyone being upset with PoE, it's actually first time I heard anyone even saying anything about this tombstone (and yes - I did see it in a game).

TB doesn't seem to be aware that this joke isn't part of the lore, but something put there by one of the backers.

He is very aware of that, he points it out at the beginning of a podcast.

I should be more specific: he does not see the implication of the distinction between whether it's put there by a backer or the devs.

^The only person I see complaining is you complaining about someone complaining, which makes me a complainer of the ones complaining about the ones complaining of the complaints. Or something

:shrugz:

Get over it.

:closed:

• Like 1

But seriously if the backers put something in there that is over the line Obsidian should take it out, or at least modify it. Whether or not this qualifies I don't know.

Of course they reviewed every entry before and also rejected stuff. But this is not out of line. And it totally fits the world. As I said before this Poem could also have ben sung by a bard or jester in this game. It fits perfectly.

• Like 2

Makes excellent points all around.

He does. But to my understanding the topic has already been discussed to great lengths here and elsewhere, as far as I can tell, and Moderators closed 2 of these threads yesterday (One of them 30 pages long, and I'm pretty sure that TB's soundcloud was probably shared in that thread).

:deadhorse:

Yeah I agree,  can we move ?

What these types of topics inadvertently  do is keep reminding people of this very minor incident and the criticism that was leveled towards Obsidian.

Surly there are more important things that need to be discussed about the game than how " a small number of SJW felt the tombstone was inappropriate " ?

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Please delete this thread, it seems like this whole "outrage" have died down and will soon be forgotten(hopefully), don't give these people more attention by creating threads about it. 

This! No offense, OP! :)

Edited by floyd ryan

I should be more specific: he does not see the implication of the distinction between whether it's put there by a backer or the devs.

I never got such an impression from the podcast. He seem to be very well informed and talks about everything as it did happen.

Not to be a spoil sport, but the thread creator requested the thread closed...

:closed:

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein