The reason for Raedric's Hold game crash (Corrupted files)

Phallus Kuiwa

Question

I figured out why the game was crashing when certain moves were used.

The game tries to find the specific file used for the move (for example, in Raedric's Holds case, the file is st_ar_0707_raedrics_hold_ext.assetbundle), but is unable to do so because it literally doesn't exist.

The reason is in the installer archives setup-1.bin and setup-2.bin. 

They contain several corrupted files.

Picture of extracting setup-1.bin:

oHuIdsV.png

and picture of setup-2.bin:

2lWBIUg.png

I extracted the .bins with 7zip myself because the installer didn't want to co-operate.

As you can see, the file "st_ar_0707_raedrics_hold_ext.assetbundle" doesn't get extracted because it is corrupted. The game works fine without it (and the other corrupted files) until Raedric's Hold is used, which causes the game to crash. 

This could be prevented if developer uploaded working versions of these files somewhere.

• Like 8

20 answers to this question

Just checked and yes 7zip reports st_ar_0707_raedrics_hold_ext.assetbundle as broken and creates a 0 byte file but the GOG installer  does in fact install it fine, i just checked and its there and its 138 mb big.

That doesn't mean that it can't be corrupted, but it invalidates the theory that it crashes cause the file isn't there at all.

The installer should also report  if a file is corrupted and can't be installed.

Edited by tet666

I figured out why the game was crashing when certain moves were used.

The game tries to find the specific file used for the move (for example, in Raedric's Holds case, the file is st_ar_0707_raedrics_hold_ext.assetbundle), but is unable to do so because it literally doesn't exist.

The reason is in the installer archives setup-1.bin and setup-2.bin. 

They contain several corrupted files.

Picture of extracting setup-1.bin:

oHuIdsV.png

and picture of setup-2.bin:

2lWBIUg.png

I extracted the .bins with 7zip myself because the installer didn't want to co-operate.

As you can see, the file "st_ar_0707_raedrics_hold_ext.assetbundle" doesn't get extracted because it is corrupted. The game works fine without it (and the other corrupted files) until Raedric's Hold is used, which causes the game to crash. 

This could be prevented if developer uploaded working versions of these files somewhere.

I didn't have trouble in Raedric's Hold.I have the steam version.  Is it possible to host a copy of a working file in a public cloud or something?  I'm not opposed to loading it after work if someone could walk me through it.

Second character i am running have this problem, but not entering the first time, but second time after ive finished the quest and looted almost everything. I exited from the left entrance, and trying to enter through the main entrance.

As for the file corruption, it might just be a 7zip issue as i know it has problems with certain .rar files, where it claims files are corrupt, but using winrar there is no issues. Not sure what kind of compression algorithm they actually use on those .bin files, but since the files install fine using the installer, it is most likey not a corruption issue.

Pay attention to the naming of the ".bin" files: setup-1.bin and setup-2.bin

Downloading the install from GOG the .bin have similar names. Checking the file type of the files gives 

setup_pillars_of_eternity_2.0.0.1-1.bin: RAR archive data, v1d, flags: Archive volume, os: Win32

So let RAR have a look at the file and check its integrity, and what does it say? To me it says that there is an error in " st_ar_0707_raedrics_hold_ext.assetbundle", but it also says that it can not find the second part of the archive. Whait - wat? Second part? So seems the setup-2.bin is the second part of a bigger archive, but RAR can not find it. So RAR can not check both ".bin" files at the same time, and gives an error for the file that is split into two parts, each part beeing in one .bin file: the Raedrics Hold map. 

BUT: after renaming the second .bin file in a way such that RAR recognizes it as part of a bigger archive and checking file integrity again, i get: ALL OK

RAR seems to look for other archive parts by looking at the digit after the last dot in the file name, so it looks at the 1 in: setup_pillars_of_eternity_2.0.0.1-1.bin

I guess 7zip also follows this pattern. Renaming the second archive to

setup_pillars_of_eternity_2.0.0.1-2.bin -> setup_pillars_of_eternity_2.0.0.2-1.bin

lets RAR find the second part of the archive (the second bin).

And for the whole archive RAR reports: all files are ok.

The Map-changing issue seems to be related to saving the game anyway, as the thrown exception in the log-file indicates:

ArgumentException: An element with the same key already exists in the dictionary.

at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[system.Guid,ObjectPersistencePacket].Add (Guid key, .ObjectPersistencePacket value) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at PersistenceManager.SaveObject (.Persistence persistence) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at PersistenceManager.SaveGame () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at GameResources.BuildSaveFile (System.String name) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at GameResources.SaveGame (System.String filename) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at GameState.Autosave () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at GameState.FinalizeLevelLoad () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at LevelStartWrapperExit.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

The game finalizes loading the new map by autosaving. Somewhere in the update function SaveGame/SaveObject function something goes wrong (some unique object ID appears a second time, this special case is not handled as it theoretically should not occur). Anyway, this bug seems to be fixed now :)

Edited by nirei

Looks fine for me, yeah; went through, did the main quest with a few extra locations checked out inside the keep, then left by the main entrance with no trouble.  Here's my copy of the file in question if anyone wants to try downloading it and replacing theirs:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw56i-bKiIvXZ1IzRVdUbDVJYlE/view?usp=sharing

eta: and I'd preloaded the game, Insolentius

Edited by sparklecat

Is it possible that Steam wrecks certain files during the decryption process for pre-loaded copies?

I don't know anything about Steam and how it handles the installation process. I think it is more likely that the download process itself damages the files. But at the same time there are mechanisms to check whether the files are ok or damaged. In case they are damaged i guess Steam will re-download the files. 

I would't worry about integrity of game files.