What level for Raedricks' Hold? (NO SPOILERS PLEASE)

Ok so I had gathered a party with Eden, Aloth, Durance, and my Cypher PC and after doing most of the stuff I stumbled over in the process of gathering them we were all level 3 - we got the quest for Raedricks' hold - I wasn't sure we were up for it alone so I hired a level 2 Paladin - and our party of 5 found our way to the end battle where we were pretty much overwhelmed - twice... (on normal)

I'm thinking we are just too early (too low level) ??

What say you - what do you think the minimum level for this quest is assuming a party of 4-5 on normal??

NO SPOILERS PLEASE!!

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...

I've made a bad habit of wandering into places that I'm pretty sure I wasn't meant to be yet.  The first thing I did when I reached the first town was clear the temple.  When I got the stronghold I went straight down the dungeon to level 8 or so (when I stopped being able to disarm traps or pick locks due to skill being too low).  I still haven't been to Defiance Bay yet and I'm level 6.  Stuff on the surface is just so trivial compared to those bastards under my castle.

• Like 1

Ok so I had gathered a party with Eden, Aloth, Durance, and my Cypher PC and after doing most of the stuff I stumbled over in the process of gathering them we were all level 3 - we got the quest for Raedricks' hold - I wasn't sure we were up for it alone so I hired a level 2 Paladin - and our party of 5 found our way to the end battle where we were pretty much overwhelmed - twice... (on normal)

I'm thinking we are just too early (too low level) ??

What say you - what do you think the minimum level for this quest is assuming a party of 4-5 on normal??

NO SPOILERS PLEASE!!

On 'Hard' difficulty I tried with a lvl 4 party of 5 chars and had a similar experience to you. I don't like continuous reloads so I actually restarted the game after that (I wasn't liking my main char anyway). I now expect to go in there with 6 chars, possibly at level 5 but certainly level 4. I'm also tailoring my builds better this time.

So I'd say level 4-5.

Lvl 4s and one 3, full party (Cleric is the only needed one)

Hard difficulty.

Was pretty much a cakewalk, Aloth can get some REALLY nice burning hands off after they've engaged your front line.

He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster . . .

when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you

Well I deleted my save games back to before we got the quest and I am going to see if I can't get the group up to level 4 which will give my casters access to level 3 spells which may make a huge difference - haven't decided yet whether to add an adventurer or not as well.

It occurred to me as I wrote this that the group was also

still wearing our disquises

which may have also been a factor in our  less than stellar performance...   :facepalm:

I think player experience influences the early game quite a lot. I mean, we have threads about how it's too easy on Hard and then people who are properly challenged on Normal. After spending 20+ hours in the game, I'm now comfortable enough with the mechanics that I'd have far less trouble with Raedric at 3-4. But when I started, I was going in completely blind (all tooltips turned off) and was still figuring out the ins and outs of the game when I got that quest. No wonder I got slaughtered. People who learn faster would perceive it differently. :)

I made it with main character, Eder, Durance and Aloth lvl4 and one fighter lvl3. Normal difficulty. I think it depends also of the options you take in your quest.  One is easier, with much less fights, than the other.

Edited by crabe

I think player experience influences the early game quite a lot. I mean, we have threads about how it's too easy on Hard and then people who are properly challenged on Normal. After spending 20+ hours in the game, I'm now comfortable enough with the mechanics that I'd have far less trouble with Raedric at 3-4. But when I started, I was going in completely blind (all tooltips turned off) and was still figuring out the ins and outs of the game when I got that quest. No wonder I got slaughtered. People who learn faster would perceive it differently. :)

Well I logged about 200 hours in the beta and about halfway through those hours I switched from normal to hard so I am fairly familiar with how things work but the beta started you at level 4-5 which is much different than levels 1-3.

I started the full game on hard and the "prologue" was pretty easy but once that was over things got much tougher and since I hate reload fests I backed off to normal so I could enjoy the game without feeling like I had to "cheat" to move forward.

I am also a chronic restarter and already have a half dozen characters started as well altho I like this cypher better than most and will probably try to continue with him later today (unless I get a better idea)  :grin:

• Like 1