Hey there. A somewhat boastful first post but what can you do?

Anyway, just as the title says, I'm making a complete character build guide at the moment (well, it will be complete in a week or so), mapping out all viable character builds. ATM, 3 classes are done - paladin, chanter & barbarian. Cypher will be added today, monk - tomorrow. We'll see where we go then.

I'm always trying to focus my guides not only on power, but also on interesting gameplay. You can see it in the steam community: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=416939844

I'd like to hear your justification for upping con to 18 on your paladin build? I'm also wondering why you'd dump int on your barbarian? Carnage is a huge part of their DPS output. And again, con. I'd like to hear the actual numbers you get with 18 con compared to 10 at say lvl 7 or 10 or whatever. Justification makes it sound like I'm calling you out, that's not the case. It's more of a friendly question.

You say:

The most important thing about races is not their stat buffs (the effect is negligible) but their specials.

And I can agree with this. But then you go and say:

but not much tanks need their +2 Might bonus. So it's more about second-line damage dealers

Which goes and contradicts what you just said. Stat bonuses are more or less pointless unless you are dumping that stat to the min and trying to raise that stat to the max, thus I do not think the Coastal Aumaua should be limited to "second-line damage dealers" due to their stat bonus.

Rest seems good so far, but I am still reading.

Also, I am new to these forums and it says I am limited to 5 posts, so hopefully I can still reply here in the future (when does this go?)

There's a couple of paladin builds there, y'know. Bleak Walker is a vulnerable and aggressive pike user with deflection penalty so for him the other stats don't really matter. Darkozzi is a tank who want to get hurt a lot - I guess you can also invest in his Pe or Res, but the results will be roughly the same. Elega is a pure tank and it's not like she can spend those stats elsewhere.

Next, for the barb - actually, nowhere in the game it is written that carnage is affected by the intelligence. I guess you should hang around the forums more to know that. But I've played a lot of the int 3 barb and I've found him to be quite ok - he still manages to hit 3 to 4 enemies. Of course, now that I know about it, I'll adjust the builds. But still, most fights are not that huge to demand maxed int from everyone.

And for a barb 18 con gives 50 more endurance at the end of the day - considering the amount of focus your DD barb needs to get, it's not that bad.

Inteligence absolutely does affect carnage, that's a core concept of the barbarian class, it's even listed as an important stat for them.

Con is mostly a dump stat, even for tanks. Since the benefit it gives is percentual only classes with high base endurance would really benefit, but ironicaly classes with high base endurance rarely need more.

Edited by falchen

Inteligence absolutely does affect carnage, that's a core concept of the barbarian class, it's even listed as an important stat for them.

Neither in manual or in game the Carnage AoE size and influence is mentioned once. I'm always doing my guides without looking elsewhere for advice (it's more fun that way) and you just can't learn it unless you notice the difference yourself. Even in the crash tests that I conclude (I'm testing all the builds, obviously) the AoE effect somehow missed me (or maybe it just got lost in the heat of battle? Besides, not every combat is against the dozens of tightly packed foes, unfortunately). And it's easy to see that intelligence is an important stat because of just, y'know, shouts, yells, frenzy duration and threatening presence.

Which goes and contradicts what you just said. 

The thing is, aumaua's ability is clearly marginal and very situative. So whereas for important abilities (like godlike's) you can easily overlook what do the stats do, for aumaua you need to make them counts so he's not total vanilla.