kana made stronghold unusable (no rest or manual resolve), workaround for others

GalGof

Question

there is a bug with kana and stronghold

sometime after travel with kana in endless path (till his tablet) i left kana out of party

now if he is not in party i can't get into rest room in stronghold (pitch black/Malevich) or into manual assault resolve (hang in pause if i try)

if i place him into party - i can rest or resolve, but he only shows as in party in manager (marked as ready to hire), but not present on field

* and party manager broken after kana manipulations till new save/load

had error in log:

System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

at Chant.InstantiatePhrases () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Chant.Init () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at GenericAbility.Restored () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.MonoMethod:InternalInvoke (object,object[],System.Exception&)

at System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

--- End of inner exception stack trace ---

at System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Persistence.RestoreObject (UnityEngine.GameObject restoredObj, Boolean delayed) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Persistence.RestoreObject (UnityEngine.GameObject restoredObj) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Persistence.Load () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at StoredCharacterInfo.RestoreCharacter (Boolean keepPacked) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Stronghold.RestoreCompanion (Guid guid) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Stronghold.CompanionActivation (Guid guid, Boolean active) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UIPartyManager.Hide () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UIHudWindow.HideWindow () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(algo there is quite a lot of errors about pet's and nullrefs sometimes, but looks like kana broke everything)

autosave here (rename zip to .savegame) http://clip2net.com/s/3fdPq6f 

* you should make able to upload savegames right here

Edited by GalGof

20 answers to this question

Yea Same thing for me Kana broke my brighthollow.  I had him in party till I benched him, now he won't come back in, and i can't go upstairs to see him.  Would like to submit my save if that helps diagnose the issue.

in party manager place him in party, don't mind he won't spawn. go upstairs, rest, leave, kick him from party, save,  load last save (if after load party manager still broken (can't add anyone, not just kana) - try app restart)

Edited by GalGof

Yea Same thing for me Kana broke my brighthollow.  I had him in party till I benched him, now he won't come back in, and i can't go upstairs to see him.  Would like to submit my save if that helps diagnose the issue.

in party manager place him in party, don't mind he won't spawn. go upstairs, rest, leave, kick him from party, save,  load last save (if after load party manager still broken (can't add anyone, not just kana) - try app restart)

Do I have to be in the lower leven of brighthollow when recruiting him into my party for this to work? Becaus when i try to add him to my party (he obviously does not appear) and then try to enter the upper level, it still won't load the level (it's still black).

Do I have to be in the lower leven of brighthollow when recruiting him into my party for this to work? Becaus when i try to add him to my party (he obviously does not appear) and then try to enter the upper level, it still won't load the level (it's still black).

have u any other chanter's but kana? if so - try trick with them too

i was in a lower lvl when were doing so..

* and what log say?

That does work, weirdest thing is now I have a naked kana down stairs and a fully geared kana upstairs.  Now how do we get him back in party?

u can try find naked kana in savegame file and erase him, maybe this will do something ))

Edited by GalGof

That does work, weirdest thing is now I have a naked kana down stairs and a fully geared kana upstairs.  Now how do we get him back in party?

u can try find naked kana in savegame file and erase him, maybe this will do something ))

Took a look at the save file with a hex editor to try and clean the save before, and poke around in it.  Wasn't able to make sense of it, so I left it be.  It's encrypted pretty well.

* and what log say?

Nah, Kana is the only chanter I have. I have tried all possible options by now (recruiting him outside of brighthollow, recruiting him inside of brighthollow, dismissing all my party and only recruiting him), but the game still throws the same NullPointerExceptions in the Chant-Klass

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.MonoMethod:InternalInvoke (object,object[],System.Exception&)
Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
  at System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Persistence.RestoreObject (UnityEngine.GameObject restoredObj, Boolean delayed) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Persistence.RestoreObject (UnityEngine.GameObject restoredObj) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at StoredCharacterInfo.RestoreCharacter (Boolean keepPacked) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Stronghold.RestoreCompanionToNode (Guid guid, UnityEngine.GameObject point) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at CompanionStrongholdNode.ActivateNode (Guid companionGuid) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at CompanionStrongholdNode.PlaceCompanion () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at CompanionStrongholdNode.LevelLoaded (System.Object sender, System.EventArgs e) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at (wrapper delegate-invoke) System.EventHandler:invoke_void__this___object_EventArgs (object,System.EventArgs)
  at (wrapper delegate-invoke) System.EventHandler:invoke_void__this___object_EventArgs (object,System.EventArgs)
  at GameState.FinalizeLevelLoad () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at LevelStartWrapperExit.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

I mean, yeah that's the thing with null values. They are pretty unpredictable...

By the way: What program can i use to take a look into the savegame files like the level files an the MobileObjects.save? Simple hex editor?

* and what log say?

Nah, Kana is the only chanter I have. I have tried all possible options by now (recruiting him outside of brighthollow, recruiting him inside of brighthollow, dismissing all my party and only recruiting him), but the game still throws the same NullPointerExceptions in the Chant-Klass

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
  at Stronghold.RestoreCompanionToNode (Guid guid, UnityEngine.GameObject point) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at CompanionStrongholdNode.ActivateNode (Guid companionGuid) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at CompanionStrongholdNode.PlaceCompanion () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at CompanionStrongholdNode.LevelLoaded (System.Object sender, System.EventArgs e) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at GameState.FinalizeLevelLoad () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at LevelStartWrapperExit.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

I mean, yeah that's the thing with null values. They are pretty unpredictable...

By the way: What program can i use to take a look into the savegame files like the level files an the MobileObjects.save? Simple hex editor?

yea, open it with any simple hex editor, I just use notepad++ with the hexeditor plugin. 

It may be something kana is equipped with or a certain ability combo.  There is a thread stating that the drink horn is broken, I remember having him equipped with it, I also had him chanting and have a modal ability active dunno if that was causing issues.

Edited by knightguy

Its not just the stronghold its Kana in general I had an old save with him in the party still and I went to an inn and took him out of my party and I ran into the same issue.  Very sad the bugs are starting to pile up.  Backer beta was a mistake they should of had full early access.

well, the game is full of random bugs, the more I read the less I want to play the game right now and the more I regret buying the game RIGHT NOW.

If I waited like 3 months, and the majority of the bugs are fixed the game is really awesome to play. But instead of being 45 euro it might be half the price.

And I am stuck with the feeling of wanting to play really badly, but can't/shouldn't right now as it will ruin my 'first playthrough' experience.

I really hope 1.0.3 fixes a huge pile of bugs and that they work :)

Some minor bugs like being stuck I could care less about, just load previous save.

But the ones that you can't revert like permanent stat increase or these kind of bugs that you can't get rid off is just, well...

Edited by zephiris

Its not just the stronghold its Kana in general I had an old save with him in the party still and I went to an inn and took him out of my party and I ran into the same issue.  Very sad the bugs are starting to pile up.  Backer beta was a mistake they should of had full early access.

Any game these days launches with bugs, especially complex games like pillars of eternity.  I'm kind of glad they didn't release the whole game as backer beta, there would have been spoilers everywhere.  Also, it may have helped a little, but with every new build to fix bugs, new bugs will crop up.  Looking thru the MobileObject.save I can understand just how complex the game is.  Brings a new appreciation for the work the team has put in to the game.  Just give them some time I'm sure it won't be long till they patch the issue.

If you dont want spoilers dont beta test.  This was simpy a stupid choice and now its just going to piss people off.  There are bugs in the game that were resolved in the backer beta that were resolved only in that limited area but now show up in the overall game.  Example the Ranger pet disapearing.  This was reported by myself and others.  Got resolved only to now have it show up in my current game again.  In my case it was game breaking for that run through because I saved.  Now this issue.  Wanting to avoid people being spoiled is a rediculous arguement for the game not having a correct beta test.  like I said you dont want spoilers dont beta test the game.  They did not have the budget to do a good inside beta test but they had a free resource that they did not use to its full ability. 

It's not just spoilers, it's sales lost to people watching streamers instead of buying the game and other things to consider.  There are tons of reasons a developer needs to consider before releasing their product into the wild, those are just some, I'm sure there are other reasons I didn't mention.  But regardless, keep the thread on topic so it can be fixxed quicker.

I totally disagree with you. Ya we should both keep the thread on topic and hope this and many other bugs get fixed fast.

Anyone having this Kana problem should try to take other party members out of the party and add in other and see what happens. My party is pretty much wrecked.  I am stuck with the party I entered the stronghold dungeon with until this gets fixed.

Edited by Fierhorn

I haven't tried this workaround yet, but I will later tonight.  (I posted on this topic yesterday and found this post thanks to GalGof's help.)

Do you guys ever see Kana in other parts of the world just standing around?  I can't tell if that's supposed to be scripted or not.  I'll have a full party and I see him standing in some random area like Anslog's Compass, with no new dialogue. Just the same old conversation stuff.  Wonder if it's meant to be, or if it's part of the issue too.