Resting bonus for having sex with a prostitute

I'm not dodging it? I'm just seeing it for what it is. Part of a video game. It's not a problem. And please avoid internet lingo in the future, if you want to be taken seriously.

You said it was part of the narrative.

Ît's a game mechanic, you are addled in the mind box my friend.

I'm not a politician, if you are appalled by what words I use, I suggest you take deep breath before reading.

Edited by insidious89

Blood and honor

Wow. You do not know it, but you are very wrong.

Germany has since 2002 legalized brothers, and the *workers* there are as you say, in control of their own lives - to the extent that they can chose between poverty in former Soviet Bloc countries or relative poverty, but then they have to let **** into them on a regular basis.

lrn2readingcomprehension

that's due to poverty and social institutions that make it difficult or impossible for sex workers to control their own lives.

*facedesk*

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

Wow. You do not know it, but you are very wrong.

Germany has since 2002 legalized brothers, and the *workers* there are as you say, in control of their own lives - to the extent that they can chose between poverty in former Soviet Bloc countries or relative poverty, but then they have to let **** into them on a regular basis.

lrn2readingcomprehension

that's due to poverty and social institutions that make it difficult or impossible for sex workers to control their own lives.

*facedesk*

There will *never* be sex workers in a capitalist society that will get decent wages and conditions. 

Blood and honor

There must be a word for people who scour the internet looking for ever-more obscure forms of media to get offended at, or to use to make facile points about social issues. SJW is too last month.

Are you daft? I am a backer and avid gamer.

So **** off. I am so sorry about mentioning that perhaps that candy cane you are sucking on is not so healthy and manufactured in the best country. You are clearly offended by this.

Edited by insidious89

Blood and honor

Its 1 ****ing k for that resting bonus. I did it once just for the laugh. there are better or at least equivalent resting boni at normal tavern, not sure how good the stronghold rest boni get.

and what is wrong with prostitution? (as long as its not forced prostitution)

There must be a word for people who scour the internet looking for ever-more obscure forms of media to get offended at, or to use to make facile points about social issues. SJW is too last month.

Are you daft? I am a backer and avid gamer.

So **** off. I am so sorry about mentioning that perhaps that candy cane you are sucking on is not so healthy and manufactured in the best country. You are clearly offended by this.

A whole 29 posts and most of them seem to be about this bull. **** off right back at ya.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Well, I'm not gonna waste more time on you if you can't distinguish between fiction and reality.

And you can't grasp the very simple idea that actively encouraging players to have sex with prostitutes in order to get resting boons might not be the brightest of social commentaries there is.
The game also encourages me to murder people for money, loot amd fame.

It's a roleplaying game. Don't metagame it, if you think prostitution ia bad, just don't sleep with prostitutes. Besides, IIRC there is no indication whatsoever that doing it will give you a stat bonus. I don't think you have to sleep with Serel during that quest?

• Like 1

So, what you're saying is that one of the oldest recreational activities should not give a boon?

I haven't gotten to this part yet so I can't discuss work ethics and the moral standpoint of said establishment, but I can say that linking modern western prostitution to PoE prostitution does NOT work, separate worlds/history/context etc.

When getting random boons to your lock picking skill and stealth skill is given for sleeping in a normal bed, getting boons from having sex does make perfectly sense.

What amount of boon and whether or not you should get something negative would depend on the prostitute and how good she/he is and if he/she got any STDs I'd say.

the game does not say that forced prostitution is good or that human trafficking should be supported, it tells you that having a good night with someone who knows what he/she's doing in bed is probably good for a person after they've been off cave exploring for a while.

• Like 1

He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster . . .

when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you

We need the SJWs and feminists to go onto twitter, make this all about misogyny and cause another uproar over this game. And then campaign to have this removed. Perhaps they'll contact Sawyer on twitter and he might take it up with the producers as another thing they "missed".

You forgot the quotation marks. Fixed it for you.

A few thoughts:

1: The resting boon isn't a social commentary. It's a harmless game mechanic that's meant to give you a reward for spending a large amount of cp. I doubt Obsidian spent even one second thinking about any "social implication" of the mechanic.

2: The, "prostitution is exploitative and evil" angle has already been covered in BG2 and other games. We don't need the same lesson again. If you view video games as a source of genuine morality then PoE will turn people into homicidal maniacs and their now corrupted thoughts on prostitution will be the least of society's problems.

3: The boon is dumb (mechanically speaking), and getting an std instead would have been hilarious.

Edited by Namutree
  • Like 4

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

Well, I'm not gonna waste more time on you if you can't distinguish between fiction and reality.

And you can't grasp the very simple idea that actively encouraging players to have sex with prostitutes in order to get resting boons might not be the brightest of social commentaries there is.

Why? some People think ist fun and nice to have sex with prostitutes and if you believe it or not many prostitutes also enjoy their work. Stop sex shaming People and grow up.

This place needs an official Social (In)Justice Thread. It's the same shouting match every time anyway. Keep it contained, like the Official Romance Thread.

That'll only make it easier for the evil PoE to ignore the heroic SjW's from demanding that PoE remove the offensive content; which is all the content as literally anything will offend somebody. Why would you make it easier for the misogynist Obsidian Entertainment (Entertainment = fun. Fun = Misogyny) from removing all content from PoE?

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

Personally I'd rather ignore the hyper-touchy SIJW's who turn the Internet into a bonfire of nerd rage every time someone voices an objection to something.

But I'm willing to contain my side to one thread if you're willing to contain yours.

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

Personally I'd rather ignore the hyper-touchy SIJW's who turn the Internet into a bonfire of nerd rage every time someone voices an objection to something.

But I'm willing to contain my side to one thread if you're willing to contain yours.

It's not my choice if Obsidan makes a SJW thread, but yeah; that might be a decent idea. It'll make them easier to ignore.

Right. It's the people who don't have a problem with prostitution in-game who are hyper touchy.

• Like 2